Self Programming - Questions on Phonak Target/Icube II

Thanks for this Dani and others. Your comments are all really helpful.

I haven’t yet received the Icube II, as it’s sitting in Ebay’s global shipping centre. Will give some updates when I receive it.

Happy to report that I received the Icube ii and was able to install the accompanying Target 5.3 s/w and program my aids within a couple of hours.

As @Zebras indicated, it was able to pick up the stored audiogram from my aids.

I was able to make adjustments that has resulted in music sounding a lot better in programs other than the music program. By moving the low/med/high up basically. I was able to do this with confidence, because I have had a recent audiogram with the NHS for my other Oticon aids, where they performed a REM test and made similar adjustments.

Amazed at how easy the process has been, but would still need an audiologist to do a first fit. The icube ii is useful to do a bit more fine tuning without constantly going back for adjustments.

2 Likes

@glucas Why wouldn’t you be able to do a first fit yourself?

Well, I’m not sure about a few things - what MPO and gain settings to put in, particularly for the speech in noise programs. I don’t know how to do an audiogram, so if my audiogram has changed that would be a concern. I get the other stuff… (I think !) like the settings for soundrelax and whistleblock etc etc.

Obtain a copy of your most recent Audiogram. Go to Client, enter name, age and create a client. Now click audiogram somewhere on the client and enter the audiogram. Then get your fitting settings based on that client/audiogram.

Try it with a make believe client, Joe Blow (after you have saved your original settings).

2 Likes

You can try AudiogramDirect as well. That’s what I use. Then I let the software set the MPO and the gain settings.

I actually use less gain with AudiogramDirect then I do with my old NHS audiogram.

As I use less gain (my AudiogramDirect is better) I actually hear better in noise.

Brilliant pvc. I will try and report back.

Brilliant, I will take a look. Thanks.

1 Like

Just another question for @Zebras or @pvc, how do you decide what to put into the settings for “Calm Situation”, “Comfort in Noise” and “Speech in Noise” ? Assuming that Calm Situation is decided from your audiogram, and you have have further adjusted those settings, does Target then decide what settings are then applicable for Comfort in Noise and Speech in Noise ? Or do you have to manually adjust both Comfort in Noise and Speech in Noise separately and they are not related. I am assuming for comfort in noise, the lows are reduced, whilst for Speech in Noise, the lows are reduced whilst the mid and highs are increased ? Or is there an option that I can select where it manages this ?

Thanks.

I just let the software decide. I’ve personally have never adjusted my SoundFlow programs.

The only other program I have is Roger / FM and mute. I’ve adjusted my Roger / FM by increasing the highs.

1 Like

You have come a long way @Zebras. I think maybe I will let you take over the self programming questions. Cheers :wink:

Have followed suggestions of @pvc and @Zebras. Managed to create a new client and enter my latest NHS audiogram via Audiogram Direct. Then after making adjustments and having to re-set up (after it lost contact) the compilot ii as an accessory and remote control, my hearing aids were effectively reprogrammed.

Cannot for the life of me understand how the default suggestions of Target were 10db lower than what I have it set to now. It was an absolute joke, nowhere near matching my loss.

Thanks to @pvc and @Zebras once again. :grinning:

Sometimes you don’t want to start at 100% gain level for a new hearing aid wearer;

1 Like

No, the gain was 10db too low across the board at 100%, not too high. I am not a new hearing aid user.

Oh yeah, I know.

I thought that maybe Target had defaulted your new test client to start off at 80% of gain at the Global tuning screen. I guess not.

No worries ! Probably my enormous ear canals :sunglasses:

@glucas

I use Adaptive Phonak Digital (Contrast) as default and had the same issue. Then I started from the beginning again and added 5dB to the main frequencies (500-2k) in my audiogram and let Target recalculate the fittings. This did the trick for me, so I had no need to fine tune the automatic program.

2 Likes

Hi Dani,

Thanks for your contribution. Yes, I have since tried the Audiogram Direct, to try and more accurately measure/calibrate my audiogram (or at least the one that I input), and this was much better. in several places there were differences of around 5 to 10db. Once the recalculation was done, target was only around 3db different to what I have now. Music sounds great without it being overly loud, whereas before I had adjusted the MPO - which was a mistake.

I’ve tried all the fitting formulas, just out of curiosity in how they sound.

I’ve found the NL1 to be perfect for me.

1 Like

I will take a look. Thanks @Zebras

Am feeling pleased at this stage because I am feeling that so many issues have been resolved. I think with the Target 5.3, they must have updated the algorithms as well.

I have actually ordered a pair of Phonak Audeo V90 aids from Ebay. Have decided to take a look at RIC aids, which I have never worn.

Have you been to costco yet ?