Self Programming - Questions on Phonak Target/Icube II

I have ordered the Icube II and hope to program/make adjustments to my Virto V70 hearing aids with the Phonak Target S/W.

I am completely new to this and have a few questions:

i) When the S/W connects to my hearing aids, will it pick up any existing settings ? Audiogram/current programming etc ?

ii) How to make sure that any current settings are not overwritten ? Is it best to use an used program? Don’t want to risk wiping everything out !

Would appreciate any responses. Thanks.

When you connect, don’t make any changes, just exit the software and it’ll save your original settings.

When you first connect, it’ll say use settings from hearing aids or make a new settings. Make sure you click use settings from hearing aids.

Ahh… brilliant ! Thank you. Will it retrieve your audiogram as well? Or is that something that needs to be input?

It’ll retrieve your audiogram as well. It’ll retrieve all settings within your HAs.

Brilliant. Thanks ! Much appreciated.

Is this true? I’m with you on reading and getting the current settings. But I’m not sure the audiogram is a setting per se. I seem to think the settings are made FROM the audiogram that gets put into Target. Although maybe Target works that way.

I don’t know about Target as don’t have Phonak aids, but Connexx does not retrieve an audiogram from the hearing aids. It requires entry of an audiogram.

1 Like

When I first connected my HAs, it retrieved my audiogram as long as I clicked on ‘use settings from hearing aid’!

1 Like

Thanks Zebras. Interesting. As MDB said, Connexx doesn’t do that. That would’ve been nice so as to have the audiogram that the fitter set up. So that’s a nice feature from Phonak.

When I first connected my aids, Target showed the gain settings they were programmed with in the graph. But I had to enter my audiogram to get Target to set them for my loss. It doesn’t display your audiogram, but it does display the settings currently in the aids.

Then this is confusing. Who’s right? Zebras seems to be saying he has pulled an audiogram out of his HA’s. Connexx will pull your current settings out but not an audiogram. Like you just said, that needs to be entered in the fitting software. So it sounded nice that the audiogram gets saved on the HA’s. But now you’re saying not.

I’ve just bought a Naida Q70 off eBay and when I connected it, it showed the other persons audiogram.

Maybe @Um_bongo might know?

Target does, Aventa does, unsure if Connexx does as I don’t use Signia - I recently was asked the same for Bernafon and wasn’t sure.

There’s a source that causes my confusion to drop. Thanks @Um_bongo. Ok then. Although I was already leaning that way with Zebras recently finding the previous owners audiogram.
Both MDB and I (while neither are experts) would say that Connexx does not save an audiogram on the HA’s.
So Phonak and Resound… that would be a nice feature to have elsewhere.

Well look at it this way. Your audiogram is just reference material/documentation that is recorded and then never used again, except for the very first time as a basis for your first fit.

After that when you make fitting changes, the changed settings are updated and saved but your audiogram stays the same. Heck, what if you run your own in-situ audiogram and use that? Then your fitting settings will become even more out of sync with your stored audiogram.

So it doesn’t matter where the static audiogram information gets stored.

Absolutely. Due to Connexx not having that feature…that IS how I look at it.
I guess it was the initial download from my fitter settings that would have been nice to have the audiogram that they used. You’re right though…after that it doesn’t matter.

Certain no biggy, but if I had the option, I’d take having the audiogram info download from the hearing aids. To me the audiogram provides a helpful reference to see how the programmed gain compares to the prescribed gain from the fitting formula.

Within my Phonak Naida B (and previously V) there are even 2 audiograms stored within the HAs: One manually entered audiogram supplied by my ENT and one audiogram created with my HAs and custom molds (so called audiogram-direct). The audiogram is used only for the First-Fit as pvc already said. I can select which audiogram to use for the first-fit. If I change the audiogram then “Target” asks for resetting the fine-tuning and recalculation of the compressions and amplifications based on the new audiogram.

If you use the manually entered audiogram then even the bone-conduction (is this the right word?) measurement is used as the basis for the first-fit. At least this was my error the last time I tried to reprogram from scratch with HL and UCL set to the same for the left and right ear: Target’s calculation was different for left and right.