Searching for fitting software

I have run into a problem. I can detect the HIs. It reads the serial numbers. When I get to a step that needs to read information (for example Hearing Instruments / Connect Instruments) I get flashing Hi-Pro right/left lights, then Hi-Pro left light flashing for longer (maybe 30 seconds) and then this Communications Error:

Sorry, the picture was lost.

I believe that the CRC (Cyclic Redundancy Check) error means that the software has detected error(s) in EEPROM (programming memory).

Since the software had just finished reading the left and right serial numbers that would mean, yes the HIs are turned on, and yes it is the same type Epoq XW as just detected, and yes the cables were connected. The batteries are new.

So I believe that one of the HIs has a programming memory error. How can I prove it? I ran a one ear fitting with just the right HI. No errors. I ran a one ear fitting with just the left HI. I got the CRC error on EEPROM.

For good measure I put the left HI on the right/red cable/programming shoe. Note that the right/red cable/programming shoe was just part of a successful test with the right HI. First the software reminded me that the HI had been previously fitted on the other ear. Then after proceeding I got the CRC error on EEPROM.

This proves to me that the left HI is defective and that it not a problem with the cable/programming shoe.

:smiley: Everything’s fine except that I was looking forward to reading the information and settings the Audi programmed and build on that, this does not seem to work.
It seems like the aventa 2.7 software enables to read the aid only after it has been programmed in that session
Anyway, it’s to late now…
If anyone is familiar with the settings and is kind enough to assist I can post the one page Aventa printout, everything is in default right now (of course I set the audiogram)

Meir

So if that’s the way it works then if the Audi loses your database record then he/she has to start over? I don’t know Aventa but that doesn’t seem right.

Cost of expensive hearing aids, then buy a HiPro, cables, etc. and then still have compatibility issues? Frustrating!!! Seems like a hard road to hoe to me.

Yes, this is not easy! Also, you are likely to encounter more than your fair share of predators during the hardware purchases.

Protect yourself against predators with credit card charge-back rights. For each transaction always be aware of the PayPal funding source (PayPal-balance, bank-account, credit-card) because using the first two funding sources will cause you to lose your credit card charge-back rights. You may have to use two PayPal accounts (one for buying, one for selling) in order to gain control over transaction funding sources.

On the other hand, success can be very satisfying after obtaining top-of-the-line equipment.
Approximately $3000-$4000 savings on first set of Aids/HiPro.
Approximately $4000-$5000 savings on subsequent set.

Does anyone have an updated link for Siemens? They have taken their software download off this site, not sure if that means they are pulling it from circulation or what, but legally speaking if anyone still has a copy that they downloaded when it was on open download they may still distribute that copy to anyone who asks for it, so does anyone have it? I am stuck with Siemens aids and an audiologist who will not spare the time to program them properly and no other audiologist will work on them because of what they are. So I am going to have to go for either home programming or new hearing aids, whichever is the cheaper long-term solution, and home programming looks way more likely to work out well if we look to the rest of my life.

they had a long time ago a link but they pull it out!

[original post removed]

Thanks a2!

[original post removed]

What is new in 2.6?

[original post removed]

Where can I find a mnaul for usgin the iPFG 2.6?

Look at the free eCourses at AudiologyOnline; Click here -> LINK
You have to create an account to participate. But it’s free. You just don’t get the education credits for a free account.

Also use the Help, Cable Guide, etc, features in the software.

Oh, and read the Fitting Guide. Click here -> LINK

I use the America Hears ha. I like the fact that you can adjust them yourself. Nothing is perfect however. The whole situation with fitting is still a matter of luck.

I like self programming major brands (for example Oticon and Phonak). The more you do it the more luck you have.

I found an ad for a I-Cube on craigslist.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/ele/1821705584.html

Not anymore. He already sold it.

I guess it was another case of, “I didn’t get around to removing the ad”.

It was a bargain for $100. I don’t know if it had any cables (none pictured)? But you can use a standard Mini USB in place of the Phonak USB cable, so it really doesn’t matter about missing cables. The USB connection also charges the iCube battery, so you’re good to go with a standard Mini USB cable.

USB Hi-Pro:
The USB Hi-Pro (equivalent) is available on EBay and on Ebay-Singapore. Search EBay for (Hi-Pro USB). The going price now is $650. It fluctuates depending on EBay vendor competition. I paid approximately $600 for mine on EBay (to be more specific $580 on EBay Singapore, I think). They are a little cheaper on EBay-Singapore though keep in mind that you will be charged a credit-card fee for paying in a foreign currency.

These work just like the original Hi-Pro. No driver required for USB. I programmed (Oticon Epoqs, Oticon Agils, Phonak Audeo Vs, and ReSound Live 9s). No problems at all with my trusty Hi-Pro.

You may find a Hi-Pro for $200 - $300. Though, at that price it is likely a serial Hi-Pro, not USB. Which means you will have compatibly issues because modern computers no longer have serial ports. In order to avoid compatibility problems with serial-to-USB-adapters you might want to add a serial port to your computer in an empty PCI card slot. Search EBay for (serial port pci). See this post for more information. I would recommend spending extra money to buy the USB Hi-Pro.

Programming Cables:
You should become familiar with these two types of cables;
Standard CS44 Programming Cable (same as Oticon Programming Cable #3)
Phonak CS44A Programming Cable (same as CS44 except wires for pins 3 & 4 are switched)

I obtained Oticon Programming Cable #3 for less than $20 but that was lucky. The going reasonable price is $60 to $90. Though you may be quoted $140 or more for a pair. You can try the Hi-Pro vendors, plus search EBay often and search Craigslist nationwide using Craiglook. Ask ppl who sell equipment. If you can’t get CS44A cables for Phonak you might get standard CS44 cables and build the Phonak Converters from keyboard extension cables. Click -> HERE.

Some hearing aids require additional equipment in addition to cables.
Oticon Agils require Flexconnects. Click -> HERE.
Oticon Epoqs require programming shoes/boots. Click -> HERE.
ReSound Live 9s require programming shoes/boots. Click -> HERE.

Phonak iCube:
The iCube is hard to get! Though you might get lucky. Search EBay often and search Craigslist nationwide using Craiglook. The going price is $300 to $400.

Sometimes they are available at an online site. Though, the history is that on-line sales to the public are shut down. They don’t last. Especially if you mention the site here in a public forum.

Keep in mind that the iCube is less flexible than the Hi-Pro. You can only program Phonak hearing aids with the iCube. You cannot upgrade the hearing aid firmware with iCube. I have seen hearing aids get stuck in an un-programmable state (probably from disconnecting before completion). This required use of the Hi-Pro to get them unstuck.

CAUTION: If you plan to buy from online sources (and especially EBay/PayPal) learn about credit card chargeback rights by searching this forum (or read the next post). CAUTION: What you may think is available to you (cables, boots, fitting software, etc.) sometimes have a way of becoming unavailable when you are ready to order. So give some thought to what you order first, the hearing aids, or the programming equipment.

Good luck. This is not an exact science. The equipment is hard to get. You may get charged premium prices. But the more you do this the easier it gets.

This is an attempt to explain credit card chargeback rights. It’s fairly straightforward if you are a buyer only. Though, if you buy and sell then it’s more complicated. First of all this applies to the United States (USA) only. Other countries may (or may not) have similar protection.

If you buy online you should consider protecting yourself by using credit card chargeback rights. What are credit card chargeback rights? They are given to you by state and federal law. In a nutshell if you don’t get what you paid for, then you can file a dispute asking the credit card company to get your money back. Just Google (credit card chargeback rights) for more detailed information. Don’t be afraid to use those rights.

Don’t put your trust in PayPal guarantees. Understand and put your trust in credit card chargeback rights given to you by state and federal law. Insure that a PayPal payment is 100% funded via a credit card and not via PayPal balance, and not via your banking account. You will lose your credit card chargeback rights with the latter two funding methods. But this is not simple to do. Your funding choices will be difficult and limited by PayPal if you buy and sell with the same PayPal account.

I use separate accounts for buying and selling to get around the PayPal limitations on funding. I keep separate email/Ebay/PayPal accounts, and, in order to keep the email separated for multiple accounts I use a Pop3 client (Thunderbird) to automatically collect email from various email accounts. You will need to be careful which account you logon with before buying, selling or even responding to email. I have become used to it.

Oh, PayPal also has a dollar limitation. You can only buy a few thousand worth on a credit card without connecting to your banking account. So in addition to multiple accounts, you occasionally have to be prepared to replace your buyer account with new email/Ebay/PayPal accounts. Plus you cannot re-use the same credit card number so you will also need a new credit card, or your spouse’s credit card.

If you choose not to have separate accounts then PayPal will make your life miserable until you connect PayPal to your banking account. And there goes your credit card chargeback rights out the window. Beware of PayPal replacing those rights with PayPal dispute procedures because there are some who know how to “game” the PayPal dispute procedures. This is not a rant against PayPal. It’s just true.

One final tip about filing a dispute with your credit card company. My credit card company requires that the merchandise is returned to the seller with confirmation. But only for certain dispute reasons. If the dispute reason is (Not satisfied with the merchandise) then return shipment is not a prerequisite to getting your money back. I always choose (Not satisfied with the merchandise) just in case the seller tries to “game” the dispute procedures by refusing to accept return shipment.