Roger Select Battery Replacement

There are only 3 on the Select under the little rubber caps

1 Like

you don’t have to do it. I also had some other gadget to fix and it was necessary to solder, so I asked a friend because he understands soldering and electronics. So he soldered it to me. … When I changed the battery on my xiaomi, I bought the same battery, but you need to have a hot air machine and glue, and I was still afraid of tearing something, so I took it to the nearest mobile phone service, gave the man the battery and cell phone and he did it because he has experience. He charged me small change, like for beer.

1 Like

Thank you for that information @GrayGhost:smile: I am going to give this a go, I
bought a Select “In” via eBay, knowing full well, the battery was goosed, I was struggling to get a couple of your suggested 503030 3.7w 450 mAh LP batteries, I could get them, but it was a couple of weeks turnaround, so I am going to try the 503035 500 mAh, hopefully these will still fit? I have all the installation equipment required already, including a LPG soldering station… The batteries should arrive in a couple of days time, I bought a spare, as I have another ordinary Select I acquired a while back… I have already done a “Select In” tear-down & rebuild, to see what I am dealing with… I am much obliged for your information, I will report back… Cheers Kev :smile:

Good for you. Does it have licences? The one I bought also has a flat battery, and I think licences are not there… Not 100% sure, as it only flashes red when I press any button.

1 Like

Thank you @MilosDj … Yeah it did have licences, the predominant reason why I bought it :grin: yours may appear empty, but if you get the battery replaced, Roger Upgrader might provide a few more licenses, yet? I have had 3 sets off mine, and there are a couple of sets left :grin: Cheers Kev :wink:

Well, thanks to you and other guys here, I now have 6 licences, 2 from Upgrader. I would just like to be able to transfer my 02 licenses from the aids to X shells, but for that, I need the installer

1 Like

BTW, do these licences from the upgrader work normally? Are there any limitations?

1 Like

Have you thought about trying them out to determine it yourself?

1 Like

I did, but can’t say over so short usage

1 Like

The licenses work normal, I have tried, Select, Roger On, & Pen so far, and “All” are A okay… Cheers Kev :wink:

Hi @GrayGhost, are you just cutting off the old, Anode tab (+ tab) & Cathode tab (- tab) and re-splicing the whole connection, via soldering this onto the new battery, since these new batteries are 2 pin, and the old batteries are 3 pin, apologies if I am not making sense… Thank you for any information. Cheers Kev :wink:

You can try to ask the battery seller to replace the wire plug with a suitable one to avoid the hassle of soldering the wires, just provide a photo of the original battery plug to the seller.

1 Like

Look above at the picture … you can see I remove the insulating tape and un-soldler the wires and do the same to the new battery then re-solder the wires to the new battery and fold the tab back and re-tape it
cuting the wires and reconnecting them might work just fine … I have never tried … the center wire has no electrical connection at the battery end … so would probably be fine .

@MilosDj If you can find a source for the plugs, I would like to also have some of them .

2 Likes

Are you using the Phonak controller board and just replacing the cell or are you using the two wires from the 503030 and just changing the plug at the end (ignoring the center)?

1 Like

I have un-solder the wires from the old controller board and then soldered them to the new controller board and retapeing it

2 Likes

Thank you Marvin, now I understand :grin: I am very much obliged for your kind information, the yellow middle wire was confusing me, and since it is nonfunctional, that now makes perfect sense… Best wishes & continued success, hopefully you will find a source for the actual plugs, I will measure and photograph the plug, when I am at the soldering stage, and do a thorough search on the web, hopefully these plugs aren’t exclusive to Phonak… If I find any, I will post up. Cheers Kev :wink:

Right folks, we got the new battery installed on the Phonak Roger Select iN, I installed the battery the opposite way round, routing the tiny wiring was fiddley, I had to put it in the wrong way round, as the LP 503035 battery is 5ml bigger than the LP 503030, as kindly suggested by @GrayGhost, (I couldn’t get hold of any LP 503030 batteries) and there isn’t even wiggle room, but I managed it with a tight squeeze, the serial numbers are still facing upwards through… I removed, the wiring and plug, with a gas soldering iron, it took about 20 seconds at most, to remove the 3 soldered wires & plug, from the original battery, I then spliced & soldered these, red to red, black to black, to the new battery, the yellow wire is I believe is nonfunctional, my wires where now twice the normal length, another reason why it went in the wrong way round… I then used some tiny heat shrink tubing, to seal/insulate the wires, as stated, this battery is a very tight fit, don’t be afraid to be slightly brutal with it, without being OTT, and you can switch it on, to see if it is connected, then screw it down with the 3 tiny torx screws, this battery being slightly bigger, 500mAh, in comparison to 400mAh original, (milli Amp hours) so it should have a couple of hours or so longer runtime… I will report back if there are any problems, but all appears to be “A Okay”, I tested it and it works thus far, it appears to be merely changing away, I will leave it charging overnight, and hopefully it will be fully charged in the morning? Cheers Kev :grin:

4 Likes

Another fantastic DIY project, good one.

1 Like

Thank you @tenkan… If I am being brutally honest, without @GrayGhost kind help, I wouldn’t even have known where to start (thank you Marvin) I nearly gave up initially, I couldn’t get the battery to fit, it was just too tight, and I had nowhere to route the tiny cables, there ain’t much room in there! Improvisation was the key, swapping the battery round, so the cables weren’t all bunched up, I had doubled their length, that did the trick :grin: BTW, that’s it just fully charged, it would appear we are now good to go :grin: These Roger Select iN’s cost a small fortune, here in the UK, I paid £170 for this, from eBay, knowing full well, the battery was goosed, if you buy new they are around £1400, that turns out to be a bargain price, with a £5 new battery, and perhaps a longer runtime than the original, absolutely delighted with that result :grin: Cheers Kev :wink:

2 Likes

Note that the yellow wire is not necessarily non-functional. On the battery monitor board it is connected to a thermistor, hence it monitors the temperature of the battery. Depending on the firmware in the Select, if most likely monitors this signal and shuts down the charging if the battery gets too hot. Yes, it seemingly works if not connected, but … well … Li batteries sometimes are not friendly during charging.

1 Like