Roger Select and Costco KS9 aids

My KS9 aids were updated last week to the latest firmware. Reviewing this article (below), I was expecting compatibility with the Roger Select (not iN) which I purchased on eBay.

However, after pressing the bluetooth and connect buttons to clear old devices, then pressing the connect button with my aids an inch away, I get the red blinking lights.
It does connect to my phone via bluetooth.
Other lights are on indicating it is otherwise active.
I am able to pair my aids with the phonak tv streamer (purchased at Costco)
There is no visible reset pin hole on the device like the iN model.

Any tips on connecting my KS9 aids to this Roger Select device?

When I look in the phonak app, Roger Select program says not installed.
So I need two roger x with licenses and the Roger installer device? From other threads, it seems costco wonā€™t do this?

Correct that Costco wonā€™t do this. There are also serial number requirements for the Roger X receivers.

Iā€™ll see if my regular audi will do this.
One ebay reply so far said the serial number is too old.
I searched online, a roger installation device is curiously absent from ebay and anywhere else as far as purchasing. It must be a tightly controlled revenue measure.

Thereā€™s no way to unlock the Roger program without the Roger x license transfer?

What about the device i could attach to the battery compartment? Itā€™s hard to find out which model number would be compatible.

@WestEndBob has done the Roger X license transfer. Perhaps he can give suggestions. I donā€™t think that there are any Receivers that you can plug into bottom of KS9s. If you canā€™t find reasonably priced Roger X receivers and installer, you might be better off getting a Select iN and selling your current Select. Yes, asking your regular audi is a good idea.

2 Likes

Thank you.
I can return the Select and Pen if itā€™s going to be a hassle for me.

To confirm, I can just use the iN Select and iN Pen on the KS9 with latest firmware and itā€™ll activate my aidā€™s Roger program with licenses?

What if I have two pairs of aids, one as a back up since they are essential for work. How does licensing work?

Confirm this before buying as I am no expert. Once you have the ā€œlicensesā€ installed, you should be able to use the aids with other Roger (non iN) devices. In your scenario you could use the ā€œlicensesā€ from the iN Select in one pair and the ones from the iN Pen in the other pair.

1 Like

If a select in is advertised as having one license, does that mean for one aid or one aid pair?

Iā€™d guess one hearing aid.

1 Like

I have been a user of the KS9 since last July 2020 and from what I understand it has built-in Roger Direct functionality. My past HA was a Brio1 which had a clip-on mic adapter (which the KS9 does not have) which worked well talking to my wife while I was driving. So, from reading the appends above it appears that the Roger Mic can not be used with the KS9 even though it has Roger Direct capability? Just want to be sure I understand the Roger Direct capability of the KS9. Am I clear on what I have been reading?

Itā€™s complicated. The KS9 have Roger Direct capability, BUT they need to have receiver ā€œlicensesā€ installed. This is also true of Phonak Marvel and Paradise. There are two ways to get the licenses:1) Buy a Roger iN device which includes two ā€œlicenses.ā€ (If buying used, make sure both licenses are present) or 2) Buy 2 Roger X receivers with appropriate serial numbers and use an installer to get them in the KS9s. Unless one is a gung ho do-it-yourselfer and find this kind of tinkering fun, Iā€™d encourage seeing an audiologist or hearing aid fitter that will work with you. Edit: If you just want a clip on Microphone for one on one conversations, the Phonak PartnerMic works great and does not require the ā€œlicenses.ā€

2 Likes

Do the new high dollar phonaks, like the paradise audeo and Naida come with roger licenses? Or does one still have to buy ā€˜anotherā€™ iN device to use Roger ?

No. As above. Roger iN or Roger X receivers.

Anyone know how much Costco charges for Select iN? They would not tell me and said that it would only work with their HAs.

As far as I know, Costco does not sell the Select iN (or any Roger devices)

Perhaps the Roger On is a better option, it will be out this summerā€¦ Hopefully it will connect to the Marvel platform? It depends on the price, but I plan one of these if the price is not OTT. Cheers Kev.

Should connect to either Marvel or Paradise Platform, assuming receiver ā€œlicensesā€ have been installed. Thereā€™s more technical info on the Pro section of Phonakā€™s website.

1 Like

Yeah MDB, I am assuming the licences will come with the product, but also assuming they will attract a premier price? Should that be the scenario, then I will most likely decline to buyā€¦ I am aware of the R & D costs, but Phonak tendency to hit the Severe/Profound in the pocket, when after all is said and done, these are the folks whom need these assistive listening optional extras much more than most, many of whom will be left struggling to pay for premier aids, and it sticks in my craw that large hearing aid companies are simply profiteering at the expense of those less fortunate in this worldā€¦ Cheers Kev.

You have to be careful. Only the products labelled ā€œiNā€ will come with the receivers. It looks like it will be possible to buy a Roger On that does not have the receivers. Yes, they likely will be pricy.

2 Likes

Interesting the ON, looks like the new replacement for the pen. Same function maybe a. Bit updated