Roger On iN died

I bought a refurbished Roger On iN on ebay a year ago. I used it around 20-30 times and I loved it. Sometimes in the middle of use (when pressing the main button to lock or change modes) it would suddenly think the HAs were missing receivers, but power- cycling the Roger would fix that. It seemed like there was some loose connection inside which got triggered by putting pressure on the front button.

I got a new pair of L90s, so today I tried to initiate the receiver transfer by pressing the hole in the back with a paper clip. Upon pressing gently in the hole, the Roger suddenly died. It won’t power on or charge.

Any suggestions, other than buying a new one?

(post deleted by author)

Before you chuck the Roger … try ONE more time to install the license.

Quick 'n dirty video HERE, but it leaves out one last CRITICAL step (no idea why, but y’have to do it to complete the installation or de-installation.

And YES, a pin was used in the pinhole on the back side of the Roger mic (hidden under that metal bar that looks like a belt clip). In a nutshell then:

INSTALLATION

1. Turn the aids OFF (open battery doors, or turn rechargeable off)
  2. Turn the Roger ON iN mic ON
  3. Now turn the Roger over, lift the clip, and press the pin into the pinhole and hold for 2-seconds
  4. Turn the aids ON, and place them right next to the Roger mic
  5. In a few seconds, you should see the :heavy_check_mark: check mark (If not, repeat above steps.)
  6. If you see the :heavy_check_mark: , there is one last step: literally place the Roger mic on top of that hearing aid - touch it to the aid for a couple seconds.
  7. If you’ve got the license xferred (or whatever they want to call it - I call it your aids are now paired & connected to the Roger) to that aid, DO THE SAME for the other aid. BOTH aids need to have these steps performed to successfully stream with the Roger.

UNINSTALL

1. Repeat the steps above for EACH aid.
  2. This time, a large “X” will tell you the aid is no longer paired with Roger and will no longer stream audio from that mic.

The roger won’t turn on, @1Bluejay

I saw that thread, thanks @Baltazard. That sounds tricky, and I’m not too handy with repairing electronics, unfortunately. But I might try opening it up if all else fails. I’m hoping maybe I can have my audi ship it to Phonak for repair?

1 Like

The receivers are still in my old HAs. I wonder if I can use those receivers with another Roger On that doesn’t have receivers, or are the receivers specific to the Roger device?

If it’s still under warranty then sure send it in. If not, it probably is that switch thing. It is a simple fix but only if you’re really skilled at that sort of thing and have all the right tools. Otherwise forget trying to do it yourself and find someone who is good at that. Guys who repair phones could do it in a few minutes - bring the pictures from the thread.

1 Like

Yes you can, if your hearing aids have two licenses in them, then you can use a roger On, roger Select or roger table mic ii.
Best to get the one you already have repaired if it is still under warranty as @Psych1 said above.

Cool, thanks for the info! I doubt it’s under warranty given that I bought it refurbished a year ago, but I’ll have my audi check. If not, I think I’ll get a Roger On V2 without receivers and hopefully be able to use the receivers in my HAs. The receivers from the On iN are currently stuck in my old M90s. If I purchase a Roger On V2 (not iN), which I see “new” for $900 on ebay, I assume I could transfer the receivers from the M90s into the On V2 (not iN), then transfer them from the On V2 into my new L90s, right?

I don’t think you can transfer licenses from the HA to the non-iN roger version, your best option is to get that roger iN repaired, before splashing $900 on a V2, as @Psych1said it may be a simple thing to do to fix it, otherwise your AUDI could transfer the licenses for you if he’s got the right equipment.

You could potentially get cheaper roger iN on ebay or facebook market if you shop around, maybe worth getting a cheaper select iN or this from @CombatWombat $180 or give him $120 to see if accept, then try to fix it for cheap:

Check out at this section:- Phonak Roger On switch repair guide

@rex-hawaii

If you can find the thread talking about it, you can keep the licenses in your old Aids and use the Roger Upgrader software to gain extra licenses for your new Aids.

You just need a working empty (of licenses) Phonak Roger On iN or Select iN or Table Mic II iN for it to work.

Found it - Transfer Phonak Roger X receivers between hearing aids - #31 by Zebras

Ignore title of thread. It is the correct thread where we were talking about receiving free licenses via the Upgrade software that is free to download.

3 Likes

Might be worth trying connecting to the Roger upgrader and doing a check.

1 Like

Are you sure the Roger On in is fully charged? Does it show charging on the display when it is plugged in?

I don’t have any particular insight here, but I do have an On that’s conveniently already in pieces because I’ve been messing around trying to 3d-print a replacement switch. (Lots of trial and error there…) I looked at it to see where the license transfer hole is, and took some pictures.

Here are the two pieces pulled apart. The black piece on the right is the bottom panel, which is just a piece of plastic. The green one with the circuitry is the top panel. The screen is face-down on the table, at the top of the image where there’s an upside-down 13. I assume that’s a factory marking. (Interestingly, the one I took apart in the other thread has a 12 in the same spot.)

The parts within the blue circles are the interior of the poke-hole on the bottom panel, and the part being poked. The poke-hole lines up just about perfectly with the center of the big button, which is face-down on the table. Here are some better pictures:

If you take it apart, you can look at that spot to see if it’s physically damaged. I’m not sure what you could do about it if it were, but at least you’ll know.

As others have suggested, connecting it to the Roger Upgrader is worth a try to see if it’s truly dead. I tried that when I was trying to figure out the switch problem, hopeful that it might be a software issue that could be resolved by upgrading/reinstalling the firmware. It’s worth a shot.

Also as others have said, I don’t think you can transfer licenses to a non-iN version of the On or anything else. I think you can use a Roger Installer for that, and there are some being sold cheaply “for parts” right now, but I’d be very hesitant to buy one. With the On and Select, the seller can verify that it powers on without having or knowing anything about hearing aids. And so long as it powers on, it’s probably fine, and any problems are likely to be a relatively easy fix. But the cheap Installer listings don’t say anything about it powering on, so who knows? The cheap On v1s (that might have a faulty switch) aren’t that much more, probably come with licenses, and can be used to transfer them. I’d just get one of those if I were you.

2 Likes

wow, that’s brilliant, thank you Wombat! I am hesitant to take it apart but I might have my friend try it.

How do I get the Roger Upgrader software? I already have Target and a noahlink, but not that. Note: the Roger screen doesn’t show anything when I try to charge it, so I think it really is dead.

I do have a Select (from before I got the On iN) and I’ll probably just revert to that. But I miss the directionality of the On iN. I was reading about the On V2-- headset mode sounds great, because I like to take calls on my HAs but the other callers have trouble hearing me when there is background noise, so using the V2 might solve that problem…

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

Thank you so much, everyone! What a helpful community!

I was in fact able to update the firmware using the roger upgrader, so it’s not dead, it’s just perhaps the power switch and/or display that’s not working.

@CombatWombat let me know if you’d like to sell one of your repaired On iN’s that doesn’t have licenses, assuming it will work with the licenses that are in my HAs. As part of the deal, I can ship you my broken On iN for you to repair and resell…

2 Likes

I have no idea how to repair the screen or the wiring connected to the screen, if that’s what’s broken. But if you can use the myRoger app, it may not matter that much. I don’t think there’s anything you need the screen for that can’t be done in the app, though it’s less convenient. Pairing it to the phone with no screen might be annoying, but it should be possible.

Two more suggestions:

1. If you haven’t already done this, plug it in so that you know it’s charged, put your old hearing aids in, turn it on, and see if you can hear it working. If it’s just the screen that’s dead, this should work. But if not, it could be that the device isn’t dead, it’s just not switching from off to on for some reason. In that case…

2. Put it in the base unit, and stream audio from your tv or some other device by plugging it into the base unit with the headphone jack. The charger cord also needs to be plugged into the base unit for this to work. But if everything is set up correctly, the On will stream audio to your aids even if the device is switched off. If this works where the first step didn’t, then we’ll know it’s not dead, it just won’t switch on.

3 Likes

@CombatWombat you’re a genius! Per your suggestion, I plugged it into the dock and streamed audio, and that works! So it’s not dead, it just won’t switch on. So now maybe we just need to perform the power switch repair. even if the screen is dead, I could still use it with the app, as you suggested.

Please let me know if you’re up for trying to repair it for a fee, and I’ll gladly ship it to you :slight_smile:
–rex

2 Likes