Rexton Quintra

I just bought Rexton Quintra and would like to know any of you who get or try this hearing aids brand and type. What is your pro and cons compared to other hearing aids such as Oticon Chilli, Phonak Naida, and Resound?

I just received my new ITE Full Shell Hearing digital aids made by Rexton (most unirts are manufactured by Siemens) and I found them excellent for my current needs. -I say “current” since hearing for me have changed thru the years ain I am now close to my 83rd birthday. The Rexton "brand’ has an industry reputation to be in the mid-price level yet has the same quality of technology to meet various hearing needs. In the past I had an Oticon "analog’ unit that was Ok but for my needs at the time was not suitable due to the lack of options in “sound control”.

Thanks for the information, Joe. Could you tell me further regarding no sound control at Oticon? I used Oticon digital hearing aids previously.

My Oticon was a BTE unit with just a small touch and change button to activate the level of sound. I had instructions from the provider and learned how to adjust the internal controls of the unit but even after the adjustments I found it not meeting my needs for sound - Too loud. I returned the units to the provider and received a choice of full creditfor money back for it. I ended up with my present Rexton Full shell ITE unit.

Tried out a Rexton Quintra today at Costco. Had the dispenser engage the frequency transfer function. Worked quite well, making ‘s’ and ‘sh’ sounds louder, for sure, but it also muffled the rest of the sounds in those frequencies, as it brought them down too. Turned Costco into a quieter place. Nice hearing aid, somewhat shorter than the Kirkland Signature, but fatter. I ended up going with the Kirkland Signature , at least for now. It was obvious that the dispenser liked working with it and spent a good deal more time in the Resound software. Not that programming the Quintra was an issue. It wasn’t. I may go back next week and try out the Bernafone Acriva’s implementation of frequency transfer, what they call’ Frequency Transfer’.

I’m amazed by the number of folks who eliminate aids based on an in store walk around. I’ll guess most spend more time trying on shoes.

Who is eliminating anything? Decided to try the lower priced hearing aid, the Kirkland 5.0, first. If that works out, then great! If not, then I will move on, but really, the idea is to improve my hearing and then enjoy life.

As a first time HA user, I don’t really have anything to compare the Quintras to, but they were the ones which my Costco guy ( who I liked) recommended, so they are what I went with. Apparently they are the latest thing from Rexton, as the Rexton website still doesn’t list them. One thing I noticed when I went back after two weeks was that my guy said Rexton had come up with brand new programing software ( mid Sept, 2014 ) and he went about tweaking my settings it was pretty clear that he was still in the process of getting familiar with it. I suspect this will be the case at all Costco’s over the next few months.

As an aside, I have to agree with what Doc Jake said about walking around in a place like Costco not being a particularly fair way to assess HA’s. As a new user, really all you do is rediscover how obnoxious the clattering of shopping carts can be. I was certainly put off by that the first time I went in, and it took me another 6 months before I was willing to go back and give HAs a second try.

For what it’s worth, as a new user, I found the Qunitras very easy to get used to, once I got a set of domes that were better fitted to my ears.

There are a few things which I could complain about, and one would be the the rocker switches take more energy and effort to press than I might like. You can’t just reach up and adjust them with a casual gesture of your finger, it takes some really deliberate two or three finger ear pinching to get them to work

The Rexton website is also fairly pitiful, as far as the information it contains, and the instructions which come with the aides could be a lot more comprehensive as well. I pretty much had to guess at how a number of the features were working, or had to remember the list of oral instructions the fitter provided. At this point in time I still only have two programs installed, and hopefully my fitter will install several more when I come in for my third appointment.

My pair also seems to have some kind of software glitch, whereby every now and then, out of the blue the little beeps which come as the volume is ramped up suddenly get about 3-4 times as loud as they normally are. So loud that it’s actually painful. It’s totally unpredictable when this is going to happen, but it’s enough to spook me a little, and make me reluctant to use what should be an otherwise useful feature.

We’re going to try Rexton aids at the other store.

I just posted this on another thread, but it probably belongs here:

Just picked up my Quintras 10/2 at Costco and really like them. No feedback. I demoed Phonak Bolero’s and Oticon Alta Pros and returned them both. I find that my voice sounds natural and my hearing is much better than the other 2 demoed. Thumbs up for Costco, and saved a ton of money.

Edit: I have been wearing them a few days and still like them, trying to figure out which of the 3 programs I am going to use at different times. Agree with an earlier post that the toggle switches are not easy to use, takes a few fingers and grabbing the ear to make adjustments to the volume on the left and the program on the right ear. Although I hear beeps when the program changes, I don’t always hear beeps when the volume changes, still trying to figure that out.

I did not think I would like the rechargeable battery but I really do like it. Before I go to bed at night, I just pop them in the recharger which comes with the HA’s and when I wake up in the am, they are fully charged. I think the manual says they take either 4 or 6 hrs to charge. The person at Costco said they will last 1 year before I have to replace them. I have not run out of juice on them, even on long wearing days. I may have to have the tubing extended because when I look in the mirror I sometimes see the top of the hearing aid peaking above my ear, I assume the audiologist can give me a new length tubing if needed.

Bottom line, they look like keepers.

— Updated —

I too am looking at having my daughter try these hearing aids. As I peruse most models available out there, and see my budget being a factor, the Qunitra’s at Costco seem to be a very good option with the best technology for what my daughter would want. So, if we try one, and she likes it, then we’ll be good to go. If not, then there are others that I’m sure will fit the bill.

I just purchased a pair of the Quintras last week and will be returning to Costco on Wednesday for my second appointment. Is there any information available online that describes the programs that are available? I can’t find anything. I would really like to have some background info before my appointment. It would be nice to understand from a technical perspective what the programs do.

Help!

I don’t think there’s anything online, but here’s the list: Automatic, Noise/Party, Focus 360, Television, Music, Outdoor/Traffic, Plus 6 dB, Minus 6 dB, Telephone (acoustic), Telecoil (T), Telecoil (mT), Telecoil (MT). Up to 4 additional programs are available if you have a streamer: Bluetooth phone, BT-Transmitter, Mini Blu RCU FM, Mini Blu RCU Telecoil.

Thanks rasmus_braun!

I’m just starting a trial of the Quintras. They seem less sharp then the phonak, which I like, and I’m hearing the radio much better in the car; road noise seems less intrusive. I’m having a little difficulty with the left receiver as it seems to occlude my ear and I can also hear it moving when I chew. I actually find the receivers somewhat painful, just had them remove the retention loop, there was a sharp corner on it which I think was pushing on my ear canal. Feels a bit better, but still not quite as small as the phonak. she put on the smallest dome. When I look at the Siemens website it appears it is closed dome. An open dome is smaller. Not sure if these are available on Quintras, though I understand they are a division of Siemens. I will probably end up with a custom dome after I decide on the hearing aid, is none of these domes are comfortable.
appreciate any input from those familiar with Quintras, and new users. Thank you

I highly recommend trying the Focus 360 if you spend much time in a car… let’s you hear beside and behind without having to turn your head.

— Updated —

I highly recommend trying the Focus 360 if you spend much time in a car… let’s you hear beside and behind without having to turn your head.

zdorsch, Any follow up on how the Quintras are doing?

Thanks
WWR

— Updated —

zdorsch, Any follow up on how the Quintras are doing?

Thanks
WWR

Re: Cosco Rexton Quintra aids…
I have been a hearing aid wearer for the last 11 years. My first aids were half-shell semi-in-the ear. I chose the half shell as they took a bigger battery and had an on-off toggle switch and two volume level controls (really tiny) as opposed to the same priced (totally) in the ear canal (with a tiny battery).They were Sonic Innivation aids, and unbelievalably lasted the full 11 years 'till the lt. one quit.
Fast forward to this week. I received Cosco Quintra (behind the ear) aids. Unbelievable improvement over my old aids which were top-of-the-line 11 years ago. Behind the ear is the only way
to go now IMHO. I wear glasses and my fears of interference were totally unfounded. Work and fit fine with my glasses, although on & off with the glasses reqires an easily learned procedure.

One caveat on the Quantra aids, if the aid(s) are turned off by means of the tiny rocker switches on the bach of the aids, they’re OFF for good untill turned back on at the aid. The “on / off” on the remote
is totally separate. The tech at Cosco didn’t know this. Wasted an hour figuring this out after I inadvertantly turned one off at the aid. I have a hand-held remote to change to three programs and 10 or so volume levels. I’m considering the bluetooth dongle option for $400. (?) as I’m told it’s stereo. Bottom line,
I am so far thrilled with my new Cosco aids.
I also looked at Sam’s Club “Liberty” aids, the only choice at the local Sam’s. They reminded me of the klunky looking “hearing assist devices” advertised in the Sunday paper. Curiously,
I’m told selling anything that doesn’t qualify as a professionally fitted aid as a “hearing aid” (by name) has been changed from a misdemeanor to a class 3 felony. That surely hasn’t stopped
all the “as seen on TV” and other advertising from selling their questionable devices as “hearing aids”, which legally and literally ARE NOT!

ive been wearing my quintra aids for two weeks now and absolutely love them! i am so glad the tech at costco convinced me these were for me. i was set on a set of ks5’s but the quintra with a custom mold are outstanding. had my two week

follow up, a couple fine tuning adjustments and a “tv” program added and i should be good to go! i dont have my hearing test to post but am considered in the “severe” category of loss, i especially have issues with speech, regardless of my surroundings.
ive been wearing aids for 20 years now, started out with starkey cic’s, those died and got another set, then switched to the ks4’s when those died. tons of issues with the ks4’s replaced under warranty 7 times, couldnt keep them running due to moisture and just plain garbage if you ask me. costco gave me full credit for what i paid 3 years after the fact, and i used that to get these quintras, plus $600 out of pocket for the upgrade and molds. money well spent. i would have no problem recommending these to anyone who needs them.

Can you please tell me where you got your information and what is the difference between the T-Coil programs?
Thank you