Rexton BiCore/Signia Pure Charge&Go AX

I purchased a pair of Rexton BiCores from Costco 3 weeks ago, which are identical to the Signia Pure Charge&Go AX but simply rebadged for sale at the Costco Warehouse hearing centers. I went back for my first follow up appointment yesterday.

I was intrigued enough by the Hear Advisor lab tests of the Sony CRE-E10 OTC hearing aids to give them a try. I loved their natural sound quality but did not like the fact that I still had to occasionally ask people to repeat what they said. Speech clarity is my great white whale, so I returned the Sony’s and decided to give the similarly priced Rextons a try. My reasoning is that both are made by Signia and share the same technology except that Rexton has a more advanced version of the Signia platform and so should be even better. What I’m looking for is the same sound quality but with improved quality of speech as a result of the fine tuning capability of a regular hearing aid which cannot be achieved with an OTC hearing aid.

At this point, I’m really pleased with my decision but it was not love at first sight with the Rextons. They were programmed much too loud - at my own request. Sound was not as natural and clarity of speech was not improved. At my follow up appointment, the Costco audiologist (not a HIS) spent 45 minutes with me, asking questions and listening to me describe my hearing experience. She changed the closed domes and replaced them with tulip domes because there was just too much bass. She adjusted the program to reduce the volume to 90% of the prescription but with an automatic phase in over the next 6 months until it reaches full gain. She also gave me some high frequency boost and fine tuned and fine tuned the “My Voice” processor. She may have made other adjustments that I’m not aware of.

I noticed an immediate improvement. I now have the natural sound that I was looking for and had experienced with the Sony’s. Sound is comfortable and I am hearing speech more clearly. I am only into my second day with the new adjustments, so I’ll see how it goes and will post updates.

I must add that this has been a revelation for me. I had previously thought of Rexton as a nothing brand and didn’t know much about Signia, but that says more about me than it does about the brand. I suspect that I’m not alone my perception of the brand value because I rarely see posts about either brand here.

Things I like about Rexton BiCore/Signia Pure Charge&Go AX:

1. The AX platform separates the “sound in focus” (speech) from sounds in your surroundings, so that it can process them separately, and then recombines them in a way which creates a clear contrast between the two so that speech is easier to understand;
  2. My Voice (Rexton)/Own Voice Processor (OVP) (Signia) processes the sound of my own voice so that it sounds more natural;
  3. Speech with background noise has so far not been a problem to understand, which has been a pleasant and unexpected surprise;
  4. The charging system is great, lasting up to 36 hours on the T-coil version which I have. The charger doubles as a carrying case and has the capability of charging the hearing aids fully 2 more times after an initial charge without being plugged in again. Great when I go away for the weekend.
  5. AI Assistant - Using my phone, I can adjust volume, bass/treble balance, and directionality. The AI also provides trouble shooting assistance with the ability to make adjustments to the program permanent.

What I don’t like:

The hearing aids are so small that I find the rocker switch difficult to use. As a result, I make adjustments on my phone instead.

Note: I don’t do streaming of phone calls, music, etc, so I have no comment on that aspect of this technology.

I’ll come back with updates as I’ve worn these hearing aids for a longer period of time.

4 Likes

Thanks for your review so far, I’d agree with most said, so I’ll definitely be looking forward to your long term updates, it’s true Rexton wasn’t much until Costco pushed them, even more so since they got divorced from Phonak.

1 Like

Thanks for the review. I have Signia AX7 rechargeable aids with tlecoil battery too. so far they’ve been trouble free. I like them a lot! But I haven’t tried other recent aids (my old Phonaks (?) were about 6 years old an a low end model.) so I don’t have a lot of experience.
Keep us posted!

1 Like

One of the positives about the rechargeable system with the Rextons, Jeffrey, is that they give you TWO chargers! So, if anything goes wrong with one and it has to be serviced or replaced, you have a backup at the ready. Did Signia do that with your aids?

Yes. And as you say, the travel case/charger holds two full charges without being plugged in. so it’s an effective backup if power goes out. these chargers are free.

1 Like

Jeffrey, I’m glad to see that you get the same chargers - two of them - from either Signia or Rexton. This is a huge bonus.

Actually, a huge bonus would be if Signia didn’t charge $300.00 for their charger/dryer unit.

1 Like

Yes, but you can get the identical charger/dryer unit from Costco with a Rexton label for 1/3 of that price @ $99.99.

1 Like

Wow! good to know. I’ll look into it. I wonder if I can just walk in and buy that unit alone…?

If you are a Costco member, you might be able to. I was able to do that with the purchase of a Lux hearing aid dryer a few years ago when I did not have Costco hearing aids.

However, I’ve found that some stores won’t even sell you any hearing aid related products if you don’t have a pair of their hearing aids. And in this case, they might require that you actually have Rexton hearing aids. I think that it varies from store to store as to how strict they are.

I live in the Tri-state/NYC area. I’ve been to a number of Costcos in the region. If you’re from this area, PM me and I might be able to help.

I just called my local Costco hearing aid center and they told me they don’t sell any dryers or chargers anymore. The person on the phone said none of them do. I suppose she meant in California. She said they used to but stopped once rechargeables became predominant, doubtless because their older dryers are too hot for rechargeable aids. Too bad!
It’s odd, in that they have to sell chargers and I suppose dedicated charger/dryers with their aids…

I live in Connecticut, Jeffrey. A nearby Costco told me that the integrated charger/dryer units are available and that the Costco price is $101. These are not like the old Lux drying boxes which Costco sold for years (I have one.) They are dedicated units specifically designed for Signia/Rexton hearing aids. If the local Costco doesn’t carry them, I would think that they could order it for a customer because the HCP who quoted the price for me found it in the Costco data base.

Yep, I know they’re the dedicated unit, which is why I want one! Ah well, the person on the phone may not have understood the distinctions. It’s not easy fiding these on the Costco site.

Did the CT store stock the item or have to order it? When I thought I needed a charger (for Jabras), I was told they’d be happy to order it, but it would take 2 weeks to get it.

Yep. Same thing with the Rexton charger. Not in stock. They have to order it.

Thanks for info. What volume were you at and what are you at ? I
I got mine yesterday. I wore for a few hours and now today for about 4. I had the vented domes with my previous Fortes.
The tech insisted I start with closed because of my loss. I hate the plugged stuffed feeling but will wait it out. Conversations are a little bit better and TV worse so far.
Thanks

thank you for this review.
quick question, is it possible to deactivate/disable the telecoil?

thanks

1 Like

I have no idea, but why would you want to?