Reverse Slope Hearing Loss

Our 3.8 year old daughter was diagnosed as having a moderate/severe hearing loss in her right ear and a severe/ profound hearing loss in her left November of 2010. 1.5 years later she has fallen to severe/ profound in her right ear and severe/pround in the left? We have done 2 trial periods with HA’s ( one we’re still working with now) but it doesn’t seem to have any usefull effect for her, she will only deal with HA’s for a few minutes at the time. My question for you all is, with the degree of loss is there anything out there that will ever be beneficial with her degree of loss? She is followed by Children’sHopitalBoston.

Thank you for any and all responses - Ronelle

Hi Ronelle,

Sorry to hear your daughter has hearing problems. I cannot directly answer your questions, maybe a pro on the site will be able to. But I do know 2 websites that are a gold mine for information on reverse slope hearing loss (RSHL). The first one is:

http://www.hearinglosshelp.com/articles/reverseslopelong.htm#what

On the bottom of this page, here: http://www.hearinglosshelp.com/articles/reverseslopelong.htm#fitting , they explain that with Reverse slope hearing loss, it is particularily hard to adjust hearing aids. They give advice as to how to program HAs for RSHL.

Also, there is a very active Facebook page run by Dan Schwartz (who has reverse slope hearing loss and knows a lot on the subject), you could submit your daughter’s audiogram to him and hear what he has to say.

Hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck with your little girl.

Sylvie

just shut off low frequency which is not aidable else normal method she will yield great result but do not expect more result in distance speech. or soft spoken words. target normal speech level amplification. i have moderately sever reverse slop and on same boat. for that use remote microphone or direct stream from iphone or its live mic feature to talk with her i tried its good feature

Is this really a reverse slope loss?
Are your audiologists suggesting cochlear implants as an option at this point?
Wear time is critical.

mistakenly posted off topic