Oticon Xceed distortion

Well that would certainly wake you up, a bit like the old splash of cold water on your face.

Yes! I’m amazed at how painful it is, in terms of loudness of sound but it’s not painful in my bad ear!

1 Like

@jte

Your hearing loss is actually quite good, as in its severe in the lows and moderate in the highs.

Your MPO must be quite high at the start anyway especially as you say you can’t higher it anymore.

My left ear is worse then yours and my MPO is only 138 dB.

The MPO on the Xceed UP has to deal with people who have a hearing loss well over 100 dB and the MPO can deal with that so I really don’t think the MPO is your issue.

The frequency range of the Xceed UP is only 100 Hz to 5300 Hz so you won’t be getting the highs anyway unless you using the feature which lowers the highs but then the highs end up being in your worse area of your audiogram. I can never remember what the feature is called.

You might be better off with the Xceed SP as the frequency range for that is 100 Hz to 6500 Hz and then you won’t have to use the feature that lowers the highs into your lows (whatever that feature is called).

The more powerful the Aid, the less is reaches the highs. You could easily get away with a less powerful Aid.

I personally don’t like (I think it’s called Speech Rescue, I think!) as it sounds so weird and less clear and more distorted.

I’ve read on this forum that hearing aids cope better when you either have a ski slope loss or a flat loss. I’ve never experienced this as my hearing loss is not worse in the lows.

Apparently people who have your type of hearing loss struggle more as the hearing aids are not really set up for that type of loss.

1 Like

I think I’m kind of committed to these aids, it’s been well over the 30 day return period and I don’t wanna see the Audi anymore. He’s a month out to just get an adjustment. I kind of wish I just woulda stuck with the brio5 from Costco, it was half the price and sounded just as distorted. I have all automatics off. No speech rescue, no noise reduction, everything as far as I’m aware is off. And I’m running pinna Omni on all the formulas. They all sound great, until there a combination of noises. I upped the MPO +5db across the board on the 4 formulas I have programmed on genie, I’ll try it out today.

@jte

This might help you? I would say you have a reverse slope loss.

And every Audi I’ve been to says the same thing. They act like they are gonna fix my life, then when it comes time they just get frustrated and give up and push me out the door, tell me to deal with it. They all blame it on my “reverse slope”. This was never an issue until the digital age. My quality of life gets worse each time I buy digital hearing aids. I used to be really social, now I don’t even want to go out anymore. I miss my analog hearing aids I grew up with. They were fantastic, simple, warm, inviting. Digital seems harsh, abrasive, too many options, too much to go wrong.

1 Like

Ok great, I’ll be home in like an hour and will dig into that material. Thank you so much, you have been very helpful

1 Like

@jte

I’m no expert but have you set your Aids to Linear? I’ve never tried it but apparently Linear is similar but not the same to analog?

I’ll tag @Abarsanti as he has a reverse slope loss and may have more info that you can read? He also wears Oticon as well.

Yes one formula I am running is the DSE-LIN (linear). The DSL5 is warmer sounding honestly. But either way, the DSE, DSE-LIN, DSL5, +VAC all sound good after I tweak them to my liking, then they all distort. So I had noticed the high frequency MPO’s were substantially lower so I was increasing those. The lows were running hot so I didn’t think they needed increased. When I think distortion I generally think mids and highs, I don’t think of lows really. And I’ve found myself lowering the gains a tad on the lows in all the formulas oticon provides. So I really didn’t think it’s the lows distorting but maybe I’m wrong.

They were clipping a lot previously, until you suggested I run the insitu last weekend, that took care of the clipping, now it’s just distortion

1 Like

Ok this is where the issue will be, looking at your audiogram the distortion is down low, I’d start by lowering the overall gain between 500Hz and 1500Hz, as this is where your touching profound loss, the HAs will be pumping high power to make up for the loss, dropping the MPO here in that same band would also be releasing some *pressure" that could be causing that distortion.

So you think I should start with just lowering the MPO’s at 500-1500hz? Or the gains? Or both?

Just try the overall gain for now, only one thing at a time, you need to find the issue, once you have done this trial it and only then do you try the MPO.
@Zebras has given good advice about the frequency lowering, don’t use it unless you know your getting the benefits, as it doesn’t work for everyone,it can cause all sorts of issues (audible artifacts,warbling sounds etc)

When you say overall you mean 50db, 65db & 80db? Select all three and from 50hz to 1500hz reduce the gains?

Yes that’s right, you could if you wanted to, narrow it down within the gains, but just for now try the overall, it’s probably in 65dB to 80dB but one thing at a time.

Gotcha, alright I will try that out. I reduced that range by 5 for starters. I may not have an idea til later today or tomorrow at work if that helped. I will definitely get back in touch after I see what I notice. Thank you very much

Excellent idea, always good to trial your adjustments for a day or two before moving on, obviously some adjustments you make you can tell straight away that you’ve made a wrong turn!

So I decreased the overall gains in the 500-1500hz. So what I noticed is obviously that’s the range I need the most help, so now I can’t really hear much, I was talking to my neighbor and was really struggling to hear him. And now the hi’s are overwhelming, like abrasive and harsh overwhelming without the 500-1500hz presence. I’m just thinking, I’m no expert, just a consumer, but could I increase the MPO’s on the 500-1500hz to help with the distortion issue so I can keep the satisfactory gains?

So how much did you lower by? 1 - 2dB is really all you need to do to begin with, for testing purposes.

But you noticed the distortion wasn’t there?

This doesn’t make much sense, again how much did you lower those frequencies by, sounds like you went a bit much, of course the thing here is, as you’ve probably noticed you can’t make adjustments in one frequency without changes been made automatically by the software in others, so if you lower the gain in the lows the higher frequencies will lower, but again only in certain frequencies not all.

So try going back to your settings you began with and just lower the G80 by 2 dB or so (which is for louder sounds) and then check, remember that the lower frequencies are your “Bass” boom boom ; )