Resound Preza from Costco

I am using my new Resound Preza’s the same way. I have fiddled with all of the programs. The restaurant has a narrow focus or broader if you are eating with more than one person. Because of coronavirus I have not been able to test that part.

I have even made a “favorite.”All it was was a louder version of the “all around.” That works for me if a TV channel is coming in a bit softer volume.

I just got my RIC’s 3 weeks ago, rechargeable’s,
and I love them. My fitter did not suggest them but when I first went in I said I want rechargeables. I have been using HA’s for 15 years and these are my first rechargeable’s.

I am happy at this point because I feel I’ve made a good choice.

Good hearing

1 Like

Just had a hearing test from Costco on July 13 and ordered the Resound Preza. Results of audiometry shows further losses in both ears at the higher frequencies since my last test three years ago. Left hear went from 65 dB loss to 95 at 3K, and at 4K from 75db down to 95 dB loss. Right ear was 50dB down to 60db at 3K and down from 50db to 75db at 4K.
Hopefully my HAS at Costco will fit my loss properly using best practices such as REM to achieve the best fit to my hearing loss. She seemed very attentive to my long list of questions from tracking many, many posts on this forum and watching CliffAud on YouTube.

1 Like

Picked up my Resound Preza’s today. The Costco HAS added three programs to the All Around; Restaurant, Music, and Outdoor. We went through the REM steps, utilizing NAL-NL2; average level speech, loud level speech, soft level speech, max power output to set up my HAs as close as possible to my target prescription. Working with the HAS I asked for experienced user setting, sound shaper setting of mild, and impulse noise reduction of mild.
My domes are small power domes and I will evaluate them to decide if I need custom molds or not.
I have a return appointment set up in two weeks to make any fine tuning.
Initial observations right out of the initial fitting is very impressive, hearing little things like the computer humming noise in the sound booth, my wife’s voice coming in clear instead of me guessing some of her words. Driving home the tires making more noise than I recall, crinkling of plastic bags, even my own foot steps. It may be a whole new world for me, but I want to hold off on getting to excited until I give my new HAs a through test over the next several weeks and months. I have six months to trial them.
Paired my new HAs quickly to my iPhone XI pro max and enjoyed new features in the Resound smart 3D app. I will pair to my iPad tomorrow.
I intend to take lots of notes, good and bad and those that I expect to make adjustments.

5 Likes

I second your favorable comments regarding the Costco Preza. Look forward to seeing your further comments.

1 Like

Please bear with me as I confess to you all, I am a very old person and sometimes it just takes us longer to traverse through computer tech in our ears. When we accidentally or not so accidentally stumble onto something we have not experienced before It can take us a while to figure out what is wrong.

This morning I was getting horrific feedback in both ears and didn’t know why. I went to my app and found that I had selected speech Clarity in All Around last night watching TV before I went to bed. This morning the TV was off so with very little noise in the house, Resound heard it. I selected noise filter and immediately the Feedback stopped. Hope I explained this sufficiently enough.

The “shadow knows.” :joy: But Resound knows even more.

1 Like

I’m not a HCP and have relatively little experience but looking at your audiogram, it seems for your hearing loss with lack of low-frequency response relative to normal hearing that you should be wearing tight-fitting molds if for no other reason than to trap bass frequencies in your ears. And obviously it’s important to have feedback control properly implemented for your HA’s and the fit of your chosen receiver domes or molds and amount of venting provided. So I would say (and take it with a grain of salt for lack of expertise on my part) that you should be wearing molds with a moderate to low degree of venting with feedback control properly implemented. I can switch to Speech Clarity and have ZERO problem with feedback. The HA OEM is a convenient target - I know I’ve blamed ReSound for various stuff - but sometimes our own HA use and preferences can make difficulties more likely. Especially if you got your HA’s at Costco or under a full-service package, I’d go back to your provider and have them adjust your fit appropriately or if your particular provider can’t do it properly, it might be time to change providers (if Costco, ask for another fitter or go to another Costco). But then again, what do I know?

P.S. The other thing that might be going on is that there is no feedback whatsoever. That you’re just hearing soft sounds, especially high-frequency sounds, that have been specially amplified. Normally when you have mild to moderate hearing loss, you can no longer hear soft sounds of a certain frequency but the HA’s compensate for that by amplifying what was a soft sound into moderate range loudness. So now everything when you were a normal hearing range person that used to range from soft through moderate to very loud is now COMPRESSED into the sound range of moderately loud to loud sound level. A first-time hearing aid user (don’t know if you fall into that category) will be hearing soft sounds now that they never heard in a long time and now they will seem moderately loud and perhaps overwhelming - especially with Speech Clarity, which kicks high-frequency (and midtones) up a notch or two. Normally the HA wearer acclimates to the new normal and accepts a certain degree of amplified loudness as the “new soft” and further degrees of amplified sound (if at all) as the new moderate and loud. Speech Clarity is a special “distorted” weirdness. It’s not designed for perfectly naturally sound. Most noise is weighted towards the low frequency end. Speech Clarity (if you look in Sound Enhancer) decreases amplification there but if you look at midtones and treble, those frequencies are amplified because we get a lot of syllabic cues in recognition there and one can amplify speech more relative to noise there. So Speech Clarity is designed to “go weird” in a difficult listening situation to better understand words, never mind faithful reproduction of real world sound. Don’t use it if you don’t have a problem with speech recognition, which is what most HA wears are principally wearing their HA’s for.

And just on hearing soft sounds for whatever reason, especially with my new left Quattro that has fantastic high frequency reproduction, I’m hearing all sort of soft noises that I wasn’t hearing very well with my older battle-scarred Quattro’s. I’ve thought the left Quattro is overdoing amplification. I ask my wife, "Do you hear that noise (paper rustling, clock ticking, turn signal clicking) thinking she’ll say, NO. She’ll typically say, YES and IT’s QUITE LOUD. So maybe, in spite of all the explanations given above, your house really is quite noisy and you’re just hearing all sorts of sounds that you’ve never heard before well or at all with hearing loss. I think others have remarked on expansion as a possibility to better control, too. But that’s what HCP’s are for: to figure what’s going on between you, your HA’s, and your environment, and make the best adjustments possible.

2 Likes

Jim, thank you so much for your soon reply. I have had HA’s for 15 years but have never had one that I could adjust myself with certain programs. I have tried many situations today and I am still getting A lot of feedback with the right ear. If I turn the volume halfway down the feedback is almost nonexistent but I still hear a bit. Now I am wondering if I should change the dome because I have been wearing them for one month already. Do they start getting too soft and so consequently are not filling the canal?

Just saw my HCP yesterday and had none of these problems. Tomorrow I am going to put in a new dome and see if that stops this. Most of the time I get more feedback when I am in the bathroom. Is that because the room is small and there could be sounds bouncing off the walls? I mentioned this yesterday to my HCP and he didn’t comment.

He is a very knowledgeable man. He has been in the industry for 25 years, sometimes in sales, and I forget what else. But he really knows his stuff. He is also willing to read posts that I make a copy of from this forum.I told him the last time he better not think of moving. LOL

I am still having problems with phone Convo. I need to understand that so many folks use cell phones and there are not sufficient towers everywhere.(excuse the caps as I speak my messages and if you pause and restart it starts with an upper font.). He told me the other time to just leave the aids in All Around so that the computer can get used to what I am doing on a daily basis. I think I will follow his advice but to tell you the truth I forget and then I am diddling around again. I’m Really just a work in progress.

BTY I click my avatar and cannot bring up my audio gram. What am I doing wrong?

1 Like

Tried the Avatar again and it worked.

Hey, I’m still using Win7 and I love it. Many times I have thought of going to win 10 but soon as I do they will come out with 11 or 12. I rarely use my PC anymore only to go in and do my banking. Sometimes when a website will not fit on the iPad I can bring it up on my PC.

Didn’t know that but I was trying to bring up some catalog items from Kohl’s department store and the tech told me go to your computer and see if you’ll get the whole page and I did.

Microsoft’s support for Windows 7 has ended (it came out in 2009). So if you keep using it, you’re likely to be more vulnerable to security problems. Some third-party security companies like McAfee or Symantec may try to offer you protection but running Windows 10 if you do use a PC would be safer. Microsoft also now provides its own security software in Windows 10 that is pretty highly rated these days. Even though the free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 supposedly ended a few years ago, I heard within the past year or two that it still worked but if you have a very old computer and very old software on it, the upgrade path might be bumpy. I have successfully upgraded a 2009 Dell XPS-1340, a rather high-end laptop in its day, to Windows 10 and upgraded it through all versions of Windows 10 to the present. I’ll just provide the link to Microsoft announcement about the end of support and let you investigate the other possibilities yourself. I’ve used every Microsoft OS back to DOS 2.0 or so and I do think Windows 10 is the best version of Windows so far. I can run Linux on it, including Linux apps with a GUI (something you probably don’t want to do!).

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4467761/windows-what-happens-when-windows-7-support-ends

1 Like

One problem might be that I’m assuming that ReSound Preza’s work just the same way ReSound Quattro’s do with Smart 3D and so on. So that might be a cause of differences in observations between us.

Just to illustrate the extreme difference in feedback that’s possible between an open dome vs. a mold with very little venting, I’m posting a fitting diagram that I have for the same ear with open dome on left, occlusive mold on the right and the grayish mountains coming down from the red regions at the top indicate inversely (top to bottom) increasing sensitivity to feedback as determined by a feedback test that your HCP can do. You can see with the much bigger gray area coming down with the open dome on the left, if I wore that, my ear would be much more sensitive to feedback (if you amplify up into any of the gray area, the HA’s will produce feedback). The fact that the graph on the right just has a small hill coming down indicates the ear will now be relatively immune to feedback. That allows input sounds to my ear to be amplified more up towards the top of the graph wearing the mold and a more aggressive amplification program is being used in the graph on the right as you can see the dotted lines can rise higher up without danger of entering a “gray mountain” feedback potential region. Wearing a more occlusive fit is not without its cost - there is the “sound of your own voice” problem that a lot of people don’t like but just like everything else, you can adjust to it and I much enjoy wearing molds for their other advantages.

Theoretically, your HCP could show you this very same diagram for your ears and explain how sensitive you might be to feedback with the domes you’re wearing. When I visit my audi, she has her fitting screen arranged in a way that I can see everything on it and she’s very willing to answer any question I want to ask her about my fit and how hearing aids work. So since it sounds like you have a great HCP, too, maybe he could do the same for you if you think it will help you understand what’s going on with your HA’s.

You might ask your HCP whether he’s set you up in the ReSound experience profile as a “First-Time User” or as “Experienced User(Nonlinear)” - and if not the latter, you might ask him if you could try that user experience profile. You get more amplification and I can hear speech a LOT better with it (plus the molds). Part of the greater amplification on the right is the switch from First-Time User to Experienced User (Nonlinear) and another part is using the NAL-NL2 fitting algorithm as opposed to ReSound’s proprietary Audiogram+ (which ReSound claims most users prefer over NAL-NL2-but I don’t). If you were willing to temporarily sacrifice one of the four programs (Restaurant?, Outdoors?), your HCP could even put one user profile/one fitting profile is as one version of the All-Around program and another version of the All-Around program in in place of, say, the Outdoors program with a different user experience profile and/or fitting algorithm and you could switch back and forth between the programs and see what fit you liked best - then go back to using all the regular programs adjusted for the experience profile, the fitting algorithm that you think worked best for you. I think this great idea was suggested quite a while ago by Neville to Volusiano in an Opn1 thread and I tried it myself to decide that I liked the Experienced User (Nonlinear) user profile with the NAL-NL2 fitting algorithm best. But your HCP could discuss the possible differences you might experience switching around like this and whether Costco’s fitting policy allows you to play around “creatively” like this. It could be a big waste of your time and his and it’s really only for folks that are keenly interested in tuning their fit to the umpteenth degree and have very understanding HCP’s who are willing to humor them!

P.S. The graphs show the amount of gain in dB being applied to soft, moderate, and loud sounds across the frequency spectrum for the parameters in play with the right ear (“red is right”). Perhaps somewhat counterintuitively, though, soft sounds are the highest curve, moderate the intermediate, and loud sounds the lowest. So basically, the curve shows that soft sounds are amplified much more for me in the right curve than the left. Since soft speech sounds of my soft-spoken wife are what I want to hear better, the right fitting parameters work a lot better for me. For anyone else, YMMV. Loud sounds are not being amplified at all, either, for either fitting algorithm. The HA is just replaying them into the ear at the same loudness the mics hear them.

My Win7 support and updates ended January 15. I bought this HP AMD processor in 2007 for $600 on black Fri. It came bundled with so much it was incredible. I got my 22 inch monitor, a printer, and more software than I could imagine. WP, Light Scribe, games, etc. now you have to pay for any software you want. It has served me well but now I would like an SS.

I use Avast for my Security. They are pretty awesome. I remember when when 10 first came out they had an awful lot of problems and you could get a free update for a year but I never bothered. if I do so now it would be around $200. But I always wonder if I should just get a new laptop instead. mine is a desktop. Then if I get a laptop I am wondering should I get a touch screen. Some people like them Some don’t. If you breathe on the screen it takes that as a command.

Also I am considering getting an iPhone 11. my SE is taking a lot longer to recharge. It is 2 1/2 years old. Costco has an excellent price on the iPhone 11.$630. Have not seen it cheaper anywhere else. Because I am so aged my son thinks I should just stick with what I know and what I have. LOL :joy:.

If you like small phones, the new version of the SE is out and is around $400

2 Likes

Don’t know about the logistics during the pandemic but Apple can replace the battery on an iPhone for a pretty reasonable price.

https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/service/battery-power

According to How to Geek, as of January 15, 2020, the upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 is still FREE. Microsoft has quietly continued it. But a computer as old as yours might have some problems. I’ve upgrades a 2009, two 2011, 2013, and 2015 computer in all sorts of shapes and form factors (e.g., 8-in tablet with digital pen). I would blame any computer for which you breathe on the screen and stuff goes bad on a crummy manufacturer, not Windows. I have 2 different touch-screen devices and no such problems. Windows script recognition of handwritten input with a pen works great.

The breathing on the screen is just so much hyperbole. I can have Apple replace a battery in my SE for $40. Did not get a price from Best Buy because they said there was no problem.

Does anyone have any idea how long it takes to replace my Win 7 with 10?. to me it looks so complicated. I would have to have my son do it but if that takes many hours I hate to ask him.

I have an external hard drive for back up. I could delete a lot files I no longer need or want before I begin.

Side note here: I really miss my PC tech from Florida, he raised his price coming to the house from $40 an hour to $50. Then he would also answer any questions in an email. I cannot find any one like that here.:joy::joy::joy:

Thank you for the links for installing the Win 10 and also how to back up. That was so great that it looks if you could read English maybe you could do it, but I don’t know. Going to print that page.

The charging case is alleged to assist with normal moisture removal

Your last parag. is very int’g! I no longer work and have a simpler life, but love my (Cala) Resounds and my iPhone. Don’t use the ReSound app v. much but should. Thx! I’ve been quite happy w/ the iPhone’s built-in app to adjust HA.

1 Like

I don’t have a Streaming Focus in my Resound 3-D App. Frankly I am at a loss with what you just said. I have an IPhone SE but I don’t think that should make any difference as far as the app is concerned if you have a later iPhone model.

Don’t know about the iPhone but for Android the streaming focus option only appears when you are Bluetooth streaming something from your phone (or from what Neilk wrote, apparently when you are in a phone call connected to your HA’s via Bluetooth). Try calling your cell phone while it is connected to your hearing aids via Bluetooth (MFi) using another phone or have someone else call your cell phone while your phone is connected to your HA’s (turn the volume down).

When you answer the phone from the program that you are in, the center of your phone screen will change to a big Phone Call “billboard” message and below that on the left will be “Call Focus” and on the right it will say “Hear all.” If you finger tap on “Call Focus,” your external mics will shut off. Down below the big board message is a volume slider that is labeled Surroundings. If you leave the call on the Hear All option, you can adjust the volume of your Surroundings by moving the slider. If you move the slider all the way to the left, you will almost effectively cut off your external mics listening to the environment as much as if you had pressed the Call Focus option.

A similar set of labeled options should appear in the Smart 3D app when you are just streaming media from your phone to your HA’s. I am using a Phone Clip+ as an intermediate streamer since my Android phone is several years old and doesn’t have direct streaming. Don’t know if Neilk is streaming directly from his iPhone?

Even if you don’t make any adjustments with the Smart 3D app, the default option in your HA fitting is probably set to turn the volume on your external mic input down by about 3 dB when you answer a cell phone call when your cell is connected to your HA’s via Bluetooth. It’s automatically programmed into the hearing aids themselves and doesn’t depend on the Smart 3D app. But the Smart 3D app allows you to further customize how your HA’s behave while streaming or in a phone call streamed directly to your HA’s. Hope this helps and I guess if you can’t find the option, ask your fitter (or maybe someone on the forum can further help).

1 Like

Hi Jim, wow I never knew that I had that Call Focus feature because I have never had to use it. I thought at first that it may have only been for the Quattro ‘s. Called Resound and he led me through the steps. I had never touched that X in the upper right hand corner when in All Around.

Learning new things every day. I have mentioned before that my brand new apartment is so noise proof I have not had to use it. Also have not had a chance to go to a noisy restaurant.

These Resounds are working so well for me that I put them on first thing in the morning and then forget about them. I hardly know they are in my ears.

Have a good day and hearing. :hugs:

2 Likes