Resound One and Cochlear processor pairing

I recently had my Cochlear implant and so far I am liking the results. The doctors office that did the Cochlear implant provided me with two processors, the Nucleas 7, and the Kanso 2. Prior to this I had been using Phonak hearing aids for about 10 years. Unfortunately, Phonak doesn’t connect with Cochlear devices made by Cochlear. I made the switch to Resound One for the remaining ear. I have been told that I can pair either the Nucleas 7 or the Kanso 2 with the Resound One, but not both. This appears to be a limitation of the Resound hearing aid rather than the Cochlear processor. I was quite displeased to find that this pairing is not something that the client can do, therefore it is a clinic visit to change the pairing from one of the processors to the other. I was told that most practices only provide one processor therefore its not a problem for most people. Has anyone else had this experience? Is there any chance that Resound might lift this limitation in the future?

@Deaf_piper Sheryl might help you with this.

I do know that you can only pair the N7 with your phone or the K2 with your phone, not both processors at the same time. You can set up your remote control for the processor that is not paired with your phone, works pretty good.

I have two implants and can switch from the K2 or N7 but it’s an un-pairing and re-pairing each time with my phone. The TV streamer remembers both so that’s not an issue.

There is a knack at pairing two devices to your phone. It has to be be done just right timing wise, exactly together at the same time.
If both of your processors have been set up to pair with your phone by the fitter I think you should be able switch back and forth between the processors and the aid with your phone.

Hope this helps, not a pro about this by any means.

1 Like

@scififan its not Resound, it’s a limitation of Cochlear. You need all 3, Resound, Cochlear, and your phone linked by your CI AuD on the computer. If you are going to swap from the N7 to the K2 that will also be need to be linked on the computer. This is so you get bilateral streaming, sadly to the best of my knowledge you can’t pair all 4 the devises. As Rick (@Raudrive) said it’s a pair when you want to use the N7 or K2. I have this issue between iPad and iPhone. I gave up and just use my iPhone.

You need to take care when updating your iPhone also. During this process they can become unlinked. Then it’s s visit to the AuD again. I haven’t updated my phone software since 14.8, I know they are on 15.4 currently. As it means a visit into town and Cochlear AuD, I do my updating the night before my annual mapping. As I’m a bit of an IT dummy.

I have been able to unpair the K2/Resound from my iPhone and pair it to my iPad although it is a bit a PITA. What I can’t do and have been told by the Audi is impossible is to be able to turn off the K2 and turn on the N7 and have it paired with the Resound. Only one of the two can be paired by the Audi and the other processor will not work for MFI streaming. On my first visit where they activated my processors they set up the N7. At that time they didn’t have my new Resound HA in so there was no pairing involved. On my second visit they activated the K2 and I chose that for pairing with the Resound HA that was also fitted that day. I was using the K2 exclusively until the retention clip broke and I switched back to the N7 and found that not only doesn’t it pair to the Resound, but it is not even recognized by the Nucleus Smart app. That doesn’t seem right to me. I have my next appointment with the Audi on Thursday and will see what she has to say.

I forgot to add that the TV streamer will also not stream to the N7 but it streams to the Resound HA (and the K2 if turned on).

@scififan the only way I can see you getting both paired is to buy another phone. Then have N7 on one phone and K2 on the other. It doesn’t have to be an expensive phone, just a compatible phone with Cochlear. Rick has a Google pixel that works well for him.

Am I correct in thinking that getting another phone still won’t mean that both processors will pair to the persons Resound hearing aid.

If that works, then that would be great. I have an older iPhone that I will take with me to my appointment on Thursday. Thanks!!

Zebras I have my Resound linked to both my iPad and iPhone. I just have to make sure one is turned off before using the other if they are in the same room.

Think it’s more the linking / pairing of one HA to two processors.

If that is the case, then that seems like more of a Resound problem than a Cochlear issue.

Linking and pairing are 2 different issues. Once they have been linked on the computer you can pair and unpair. Well that’s as I understand it, then I’m a IT dummy.

@scififan I hope it works for you. Good luck :four_leaf_clover:

I will come back here and post my results on Thursday.

1 Like

But you can’t link two processors to work with one HA.

Nothing to do with bluetooth, it’s the linking of the HA and processors in the software.

The OP states that she/he can either have the N7 linked or the K2 linked to the HA but not both.

1 Like

I admin a deaf Facebook group and one of the members who is also blind has just got implanted with cochlear.

As she’s blind, she’s allowed a spare N7 but she’s also been given 2 x Resound BTE Aids (not sure which) as both N7s will not work / link to just one HA.

In my case insurance doesn’t cover the HA so that would be a very expensive solution at over $3500 per aid!

Try taking your N7, K2, and both phones to your audiologist appointment.
Ask all these questions and see what happens.
Let us know how that goes, please.

Something I am curious about is what app controls the resound hearing aid when linked to the cochlear processor?

Unfortunately there is an app for the Resound HA and a different app for the Cochlear processor. If I want to stream from the TV for instance, I have to turn both of them on and select the TV source. For audio from my paired phone its automatic, which is good.

2 Likes

Thanks for that information.

When you tried to switch from the K2 to the N7, did you go into the Nucleus Smart app in settings to un-pair the K2 before trying to pair the N7?
I have switched from the N7 to the K2 processors and back a number of times. Having a Resound aid in this might be what I don’t understand but since the aid has its own app I do not see why you can’t switch from the K2 to the N7 in the Nucleus Smart app.