Resound Omnia vs Phonak Lumity

Users here have tried them and haven’t found them “waterproof.”

3 Likes

I recall comments that the receiver in the ear for Phonak HA’s is not waterproof.

2 Likes

The body of the aids are, but the receivers are not very water resistant.

WH

2 Likes

Hi all

Many thanks for your comments it is really appreciated.

Although a little disheartening becuase this would have really helped in the situations already mentioned.

If the Life models are not waterproof for swimming would anyone therefore bother with the Life models as they are slightly bigger than the standard Lumitys?

My audiologist can provide them at the same price as the standard models so cost is not an issue for me.

The general consensus is that the Lumity Life hearing aids themselves are waterproof but the receivers seem to be only splash proof. In other words…they are good for people who sweat quite a bit while working out or who occasionally get caught in the rain, but they don’t seem to survive long term dunking in the pool or ocean.

I have the regular Lumity hearing aids. I wear them in the pool but I don’t dunk my head underwater. I take them off for that kinda thing.

Jordan

6 Likes

@JordanK Many thanks for the detailed response, so just so I am 100% clear the receivers you and other people are referring to are the ones that go in your ears?

As I am having custom moulds created would they not ensure that no water could get in your ear? But I think its a moot point as I have asked for vents to be put in (not Activents either :frowning: )

I’M SORRY if I asked previously – but if I did I forgot - what’s the LIFE added on to Lumity.
Is there just plain Lumity and then also Lumity Life? Confusing but since I’m considering getting Lumity I want to be sure of details (that way I have more to remember and less space for it so - to have more that I forgot when all is said and done) :roll_eyes:

No worries. Yeah, there is the regular Lumity rechargeable, the lumity rechargeable with telecoil, and the Lumity Life

The Life version is slightly larger to allow the body of the hearing aid to be waterproof. The issue is that the thing that goes in your ear (the receiver wire) isn’t quite waterproof. The Life version is good for those who workout and want to use the hearing aids in extreme humidity conditions. It also comes with an inductive charger unit with a built in rechargeable battery so you can charge your hearing aids a few times without plugging into an AC outlet. All other features are identical. Lumity also has the RT version with telecoil.

Jordan

4 Likes

Hi, i have been trialling the Resound Omnia’s for the past week, in the RIC form which is a first for me usually having ITC models, I went for this as IMHO ITE/ITC hearing aids with bluetooth are now so bulky that they are no longer invisibile and easily visible and my thinking was that RIC - I have been told by my AUD are better for Severe hearing loss patients and also from the front are almost completely invisible.

Anyway the above is just a background to my actual question which is after less than a week I am getting no sound from the right HA, its working as when I press the button the left HA is registering the volume up command.

I have cleaned the double domes as described on YT and manual with a brush (plus the receivers on the main aid), but still no improvement, I do not currently have a dehumidifer but I am going to get one.

My right ear is still getting sounds as I put back in my new (trialling) Specsavers version of the ITC Paradise V90’s, and they were fine.

Anyway it is obviously a block of some sort but I find it a little concerning that this is happening after just under week, and now questioning my decision to go to RIC HA’s, thinking my dodgy right ear which has recently had perforation issues (healed), and not to healthy canals (Diabetes), make RIC’s due to the deeper insertion of the domes not ideal for me…

TBF I am hoping that becuase I am getting custom moulds for the new Lumity Life HA’s that I am due to get on the 17th May may rectify this isssue.

Has anyone any thoughts based on past experience on this matter?

Many thanks

Ian

Did you try changing the receiver filter on the aid that’s not working? It’s easy to do and if it’s blocked with wax, you get zero sound of that receiver until the filter is changed.

3 Likes

@david.hendon Many thanks for the prompt response, you may find this unbelievable (I certainly do) but my Amplifon Aud did not include any filters nor cleaning implements with the aids. :frowning:

1 Like

I do believe that! But if you take it into the shop it would take them literally one minute to change a filter. Also you can easily buy the filters in packs of ten from internet suppliers. They are made by the same company, so don’t need to be Resound. I am currently using Widex filters for example.

Incidentally it isn’t a big wax problem if you use RIC receivers, but the only time I had one go completely silent on me was a week or so after I first started using receivers with power domes instead of moulds. After that I think my wax level was lower as the dome had already collected it all and anyway I knew what to look for.

1 Like

@david.hendon Many thanks for the advice, have you any idea if Phonak Cerustops will work? As Specsavers gave me a supply with my Specsavers Phonak Paradise equivalents but tbf they are for itc HAs so I assume not…

Good to know that its only a problem at the start and not likely to need changing so frequently after…

I don’t know, but they probably will.

They look like this:

These ones are actually Cerustops. The filter in the Resound receiver has a white triangular shaped end, but all the replacement ones are circular. It makes zero difference!

david.hendon You are :star: They worked fine and aid now working properly so many thanks for the advice :slight_smile:

So based on your experience you do not think I need to be worried that this I’ve had a blocked aid so soon after fitting, I will persevere with RIC’s then, tbf it would be unfair not to try the Lumity RIC now it is being custom built for me anyway…

3 Likes

Excellent! No I wouldn’t worry. I have been wearing power domes on those same receivers on my Resound Ones for two years and I only ever had one total blockage, about a week after I started.

2 Likes

@david.hendon I really apprciate your time and advice.

1 Like

1 thing you might consider is having your ears flushed every couple months… I’ve been wearing custom soft silicone molds now for a few years and never had a wax problem before them when I wore med. size domes… I now schedule my HA provider who does it as a free service to flush my ear wax out about every 5 weeks, and believe me it needs it

I wouldn’t recommend that unless it’s really necessary.

You can’t get them “flushed” in UK anyway because that procedure is no longer done here. And microsuction is ok if it’s needed, but it probably isn’t needed often, if at all. I have worn hearing aids for 30 years and I never needed to have any wax removed.

1 Like