ReSound Omnia and microphone issue

I’m getting fit with the Resound Omnia 7 UP on the 7th. I hope they fix the microphone issue with that aid not like the resound Quattro where i have to keep sending it in to get it repaired.

Does anyone have problem with the Resound One RIC hearing aid?

i suspect they changed the case to fix the microphone issue…

Would your microphone issues with the Quattro be anything like mine?

I’ve had something like a half dozen or more external microphone failures in 3 3/4 years, almost always the left ear, only once the right ear. For most of the failures I was passing a consumer Jodi-Vac needle over the microphone openings on the body but for the last failure. I wonder if it was just cell debris from my scalp clogging the microphone openings but the audi said she didn’t see any problem with that. ReSound never responded to several requests for a failure analysis - always just gave me a replacement under warranty. Walking, chewing, or talking restores function. The audi’s diagnosis was always “sounds like a loose connection somewhere…”

I had three microphone failures with Resound LINX Quattro and each time they had to go back to Resound for repair after about a year (but each time the aids were completely replaced).

I have had my Resound Ones for a year and no problem so far. Interestingly you can find on YouTube a Resound video showing you how to change the microphones on a Resound One. It involves replacing the whole of the top of the hearing aid and is clearly a DIY job, but you would need the spare part and in the right body colour too.

1 Like

Same issue as you were having… i replaced mine after every 3 month. I’m not too thrilled to go with resound again but since i have a CI sound processor which only works with resound and the cochlear programming (mapping) caused a hard brick on my hearing aid not once but 3 times, they had to RMA it…

Link to the resound video?

I have Resound Quattro’s and I’ve had this happen. My current theory is that certain types of very high volume sounds cause this. My wife has burnt stuff in the oven a few times and the smoke detectors have gone off in the kitchen. The alarm is extremely loud and extremely high pitched. I’ve noticed that the alarm sound (and a few other types of sounds like a firetruck/ambulance siren) cause the Quattro’s to crackle like crazy. My theory is that certain types of sounds cause the microphones to over vibrate and under certain conditions, it wrecks them.

Just throwing it out there for discussion.

Jordan

Interesting theory, that could be it and it is funny though, noise induced microphone loss! never thought this could happen! (analogy to noise induced hearing loss)

No it will just be sweat causing the issue.

Hmm I can’t find it now. Perhaps Resound decided not to make it available outside their Professional network.

I recall that you had to push out the very small pin at the top rear of the hearing aid (that goes from one side to the other. The replacement kit came with a new pin.

But as the replacement units don’t seem to be available to end users, it’s probably best to leave that pin well alone!

Edit: This is the video I remember, but it doesn’t actually say that it changes the microphones.

How is the microphone connected to the chassis on the ones, I’ve seen on some other brands that can’t be removed, could be why they just replace instead of trying to to this?

several years ago when I was wearing the HA’s just before the quattro’s I had a couple of staticky microphone problems after attending indoor rock band concerts… my audi said the very loud volume of the concert was damagong the mics … after that he said there is a decibel setting to top off real loud enviroments… I know he changed and lowered the setting and has made sure to do it on my quattros and now my 1’s … I have attended many concerts since that and never had a problem since

I’ve noticed that I get more feedback with my left HA when inserting and removing the receiver. I’m using NAL-NL2 as my fitting algorithm, which amplifies high frequencies more than ReSound’s Audiogram+. So, one thing that I’ve mused about is whether the feedback is what’s knocking out the left HA mics preferentially - or whether the design ReSound touted that gives it a greater upper frequency range than most HA’s is the Quattros fatal microphone flaw.

ReSound does say in the One literature that they totally redesigned the microphones for the One. I have always been suspicious that Quattro microphone failures had something to do with that redesign although I’m sure ReSound would argue it’s for better hearing, etc.

I like the sound, the app, the fitting software, and ReSound’s forward-looking philosophy. I just wish I had a much better reliability experience.

1 Like

I have the Jabra Enhance Pro’s (Resound One via Costco) and have recently had a similar issue crop up. It’s not exactly the same as what @jim_lewis and I have had with the Quattro’s (as above). I am having the following issue:

• When using the All Around program that is set for M&RIE directionality mode (vs All Access Directionality), The microphones on the hearing aid body are still active, and when I run my finger across the body, I get a very loud hissing type noise. Originally the HAs in this mode would (I believe) only activate the Mic in the receiver. And I never had the loud hiss noise in any of the programs.

• I assume due to this I also don’t get the really good ‘wind’ handling while in M&RIE mode (as described by @janofh in a post (which I can’t find right now)

I will be calling Costco soon and ask them to send in my aids for replacement. This is the first issue I’ve had with the Jabra regarding the mics.

Can someone else with Resound One or Jabra confirm that while using the all around program set with M&RIE that you don’t get noise while rubbing over the speakers on the body?

I can only confirm that with M&RIE receivers and All Access directionality that all receivers are active, at least in quiet environment situations.

My Resound One’s are 9 months old with zero mic or receiver issues. I use the standard M receivers but have also the UP receiver and it is easy to change receivers.

Where did you get the special tool that’s needed to change receivers? TIA.

You just use your finger nail, clips on and off.

1 Like

No tool needed. Here is a vid on changing…

2 Likes

Must have changed from the Quattros. IIRC, the Quattros require a special tool to release the receiver and wire from the HA body.

i just use sim ejector tool to remove the receiver on quatttro

3 Likes