GN Hearing introduces ReSound LiNX Quattro

Yes, your audiologist should be able to activate it. The four basic programs that I asked for are All-Around, Restaurant, Outdoor, and Music. Others like Acoustic Phone, streaming from the Phone Clip+, and direct connections between your HA’s and the Multi-Mic or up to two (or three, if you don’t have a Multi-Mic?) TV Streamer 2’s can be added and I believe the user can set up the Phone Clip, Multi-Mic, and TV Streamers themselves just by pairing directly to HA’s but the other programs have to be added from the fitting software to your HA’s.

The fitting software can have up to four default basic programs but as ReSound provides it, the only out-of-the-box programs are the All-Around program and the Restaurant program. I had played around with the Smart 3D program and it had all four basic programs WHEN IN DEMO MODE and I may have told my audi for that reason to be sure to add them or she may have just been pro-active and went ahead and added them to her default set-up, too, so that I was fit with them.

Another potential out-of-the-box difference is the default gain profile when providers run Smart Fit without doing anything is “First-Time User” and the provider has to consciously switch the user to “Experienced (Non-Linear).” With the Experienced (Non-Linear) you get more gain, especially in the Outdoor program and I especially like the boost. I think it helps me hear better and more clearly.

Maybe ReSound should have more hints in the app when it is out of demo mode and up and running that the user could add more programs and more devices than what they have. Be neat if the app indicated what overall profile the user was in (First-Time or Experienced) and tutored the user on what the difference was and whether they might want to change. Seems strange for folks in general to pay so much and yet potentially not know what they might be missing because they might not have tried the Smart 3D program in demo mode or the provider didn’t fully discuss where one might go with all the options (my case with the Experienced user options).

Have some further advice for any other ReSound Quattro users, particularly anyone having trouble understanding soft-spoken sounds. I’m a first-time hearing aid wearer and got fit by my audi with open vented domes and had my hearing profile set by default as “First-Time” user. I was very happy with the initial results I got even happier when I got switched to the “Experienced (Nonlinear)” user fitting profile in ReSound’s software (not so much emphasis on “comfort,” more emphasis on amplifying sounds more to my prescribed fit to hear better). I also found that going to more occlusive custom molds, in my instance silicone molds with a customizable select-a-vent size, gave me improved speech clarity and more control over noise if I go with a pretty small 1 mm vent.

The latest thing I discovered is that a ReSound provider can actually let you test other fitting algorithms such as the generic NAL-NL2 and DSL5-Adult fitting recipes. These fits are available to the provider in ReSound’s fitting software. I have had a chance to briefly try both and for the moment prefer the NAL-NL2 fit over ReSound’s proprietary Audiogram+ software (YMMV). My soft-spoken wife sounds even clearer to me. And this may sound funny. I like to stream BBC programs. I’ve always had a bit of a problem understanding British accents because I think there is more emphasis on sibilant and fricative high-pitched consonants, e.g, “s,” “th,” in British as opposed to American English. But tonight listening to a BBC program while on a treadmill at the gym with some noise in the background, all the British accents I heard came through loud and clear to me listening under the NAL-NL2 fit.

My impression of NAL-NL2 relative to ReSound’s Audiogram+ is that it amplifies soft sounds more but actually backs off the amplification of loud high frequency sounds a little more than Audiogram+. So soft noise is a little more bothersome to one’s ears than with Audiogram+ but loud noise sounds seem less bothersome with NAL-NL2 than with ReSound’s Audiogram+.

Many people may not like the degree of occlusion that I’ve chosen with my custom molds and very narrow vent size. I find NAL-NL2 instead of Audiogram+ alleviates much of any sense of occlusion. My own voice sounds more natural as do other people’s voices. But with open vents, since I have good low frequency hearing, I was bothered by noisy sounds bypassing my hearing aids and going straight to my ear drums. Directionality could not work effectively because even though my HA mics might decide to focus on speech coming from a particular direction, noise from everywhere still leaked to my ear drums. Now with the molds and the narrow vents, if I chose to turn my HA’s off, it’s almost as if I’m wearing modest ear plugs and I can cut out a lot of noise, e.g. running on a noisy treadmill at the gym tonight.

I liked the DSL5-Adult fitting algorithm, too, but thought it amplified high-pitched sounds way too much. I see in Don’s posts that he’s found a way to have DSL5 adjusted to his satisfaction and since he finds DSL5 very helpful in understanding soft-spoken speech, it’s worth trying it again following Don’s recipe.

So perhaps the moral of my story is that if you have an understanding provider, it’s worth trying custom molds and other fitting algorithms rather than just being happy (as I was) with the standard “comfort” recipe for new users that HA manufacturers use. The standard recipe may not be the one you like the most, if you’re like me.

Edit_Update: Actually, @Neville suggested to @Volusiano a very clever and relatively painless way to try different fitting algorithms side-by-side. He suggested if you mainly get by with the general purpose program, e.g., All-Around, for the Quattro’s, that you could have your provider set up additonal derivative copies of this program but recalculated using a different fitting algorithm such as NAL-NL2 or DSL5-Adult. The provider can do this in the fitting software for the Quattro’s by changing the fitting algorithm but telling the recalculation to apply only to a specific phone app program. The brilliant thing about Neville’s idea is that in an actual listening situation you can switch algorithms by switching programs and see which works best for you. During such a test period, you might have to temporarily sacrifice another program since I think that there is a limit of FOUR as to the number of main programs that can be available in the Smart Fit 3D app. Perhaps you don’t use the Outdoor or the Music programs much so you could temporarily part with one of those to test a version of the All-Around program based on NAL-NL2, for example, vs. the canonical All-Around based on Audiogram+. Volusiano has tried the idea on his OPN 1’s and found it works pretty well as discussed in the following thread:

1 Like

Maybe I should try to watch Downton Abbey again?

1 Like

Thanks, Jim! I will be scheduling an appt with my audiologist soon.

1 Like

The sort of sound differences that I was thinking of might be exemplified by “while” (Am) vs. “whilst” (Br) and for the word “schedule,” “skedule” (Am) vs. “shedule” (Br). Can’t think of others right now but I’m sure there’s a bunch more.

On overall differences in pronunciation and syllabic emphasis, there’s an extensive Wikipedia article so perhaps it’s just a matter of hearing the pronunciation better for many words with my HA’s using the NAL-NL2 protocol, then being able to better make the British English to American English word recognition in my head, i.e., avoid getting confused by a different word pronunciation or syllabic emphasis that I didn’t hear so clearly.

The following information is now posted on ReSound’s website.

Compatible Android devices that enable direct audio streaming are anticipated soon.

Specific models of ReSound LiNX Quattro are expected soon to be compatible with Android’s newest Operating System enabling direct audio streaming. It is anticipated that compatible Android smartphones will begin to be released from late 2019.

Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the web page to see the text quoted on ReSound’s site itself. So Quattro’s are going to get a firmware update “soon” (August, 2019?) as some forum members have already indicated. But compatible smartphones will only be released starting late 2019?! What does this mean in terms of Google’s Pixel 3 or 3a compatibility? Is ReSound just oblivious to this?!

Edit_Update:

Forgot to include the link: https://www.resound.com/en/help/compatibility
(quote comes from bottom of page)

2 Likes

The quote is definitely cryptic. To me it kind of implies that certain Quattro models won’t be compatible. The whole Android compatibility thing has sure drug on longer than I ever imagined considering Bluetooth 5 was announced in 2016 and it sounds like only parts of it will be incorporated in new system. I guess we’ll see when it gets here.

2 Likes

Hi Jim,
Just got to this thread ( I know, last reply was nine months ago)and I have to say, you should charge money for all the great information you have provided. I am getting very close to purchasing the Resound Preza and wonder how you are doing lately with your Quattro’s? Are you still glad you got them? I had narrowed my choices to the Phonak KS9 vs the Resound Preza. I like both, but the Multi mic plus the 3D app have swung me towards the Resound. I currently wear the Resound Cala 8 from three years ago, and they are just ok, so I want the later technology. Thanks for any advice.
I know the Preza will not have the remote assist and the Tinnitus features but I can live with those reduced features for the price difference.

I’ve never worn any other HA’s than my Quattro’s so I wouldn’t want to influence your choice too much and think if you have the opportunity to make comparisons, your own feelings and findings are your best guide.

I’m very happy with my Quattro’s but if you’ve read my posts widely, you’ll find that there are some things that I’ve been unhappy with. The sound quality streaming through the PhoneClip+, the Multi Mic, and the TV Streamer 2 is really superb, IMHO, especially wearing occlusive earmolds that trap the bass and lead to a deeper sound there. By comparison, I sometimes don’t think the quality of sound heard through the external mics is quite as good-still very good almost all the time but not as “knock-your-socks-off” as the streaming sound for me. Other folks have not liked the streaming sound as much, says it lacks bass, etc., but perhaps some of these differences are a, “Do you like Beats audio?!” type of preference difference. Perhaps my perceived difference with external mics relative to streaming is just the way HA’s work relative to background noise or that my external mics are half-clogged all the time due to me being psoriatic, etc.

The other perceived difference is the delay in changing sound environments. If one goes from a loud, noisy environment to a soft environment with soft speech, there can be as much as a 5-second delay before the Quattro’s change sound settings. Transitions between more similar environments are more rapid, down to a second or less. I gather from reading Marvel posts that few Marvel users detect a transition period. When I think about it, perhaps it is good to have a delay to average out what sort of environment you’re really in. If every second that there were a change in noise level or speech being present or absent and the environment constantly yo-yoed back and forth, that could get annoying fast. Works the same way going the other way, too. If I turn on a stovetop fan or a bathroom fan, it takes about 5 seconds in a quiet environment suddenly made noisy for full noise suppression to decide to kick in.

I do especially like the Quattro’s for the Smart 3D app and the quality of the accessories. And the fact that, although the accessories are expensive, they are nowhere near the cost of Phonak’s Roger devices, especially if you get them through Costco. I do wish the Multi Mic in the omnidirectional mode had better noise suppression and/or like the Roger Select, I wish that one had more control over the direction of microphone pickup when the device is lying flat on a table. The TV Streamer 2 has made a night-and-day difference in understanding TV dialog, especially in movies.

I think ReSound could still stand to improve the quality of its BT connectivity and have a real battery health indicator for the long-term state of the Li-ion batteries. If I had it to do over, I might opt for the disposable battery version of the Quattro’s since I don’t think the Li-ion ones will last as long as they might if I wear them outside for long periods in Texas summer heat of 100 to 110 deg F. But other than summer heat, I’m very happy with the Li-ion rechargeables. It may be true of all HA OEM’s but the “system” basically requires you to rely on your HCP for HA support information. I wish ReSound and all other HA OEM’s had a stronger, direct-to-the-company support system in terms of getting technical questions answered, providing feature suggestions, etc… But then even with a Samsung smartphone, I find it hard to give feedback to Samsung or get expert technical advice on my smartphone.

I also got the Quattro’s looking forward to ASHA connectivity but with LE Audio coming along (BT 5.2), etc., and liking very expensive high-end smartphones, I decided it wasn’t worth upgrading my Galaxy Note 8 just to get ASHA connectivity right now and was disappointed that Google didn’t get it out in an earlier version of Android. And I have wistfully thought I might enjoy my HA’s even more if I were an iPhone user but for starters I don’t like Apple’s inability to configure one’s phone screens with apps and widgets arranged in a very customized user interface.

The other thing that I enjoy with the Quattro’s but you won’t with a Costco version of ReSound is the DIY accessibility if I want to use it. I’m happy with default settings (autofit), having switched my profile to Experienced User-Nonlinear and to the NAL-NL2 fitting algorithm after my own experimentation. The quality and design of Smart Fit software impresses me and although I’d probably rely on my audi for any advanced settings changes, the opportunity, thanks to help obtained here, to learn about the settings and again, thanks to suggestions made here, to take a number of Audiology Online ReSound courses help me understand hearing and my HA’s better.

So, yes, I love my Quattro’s, I think the money was well-spent but I can see there’s still room for improvement, faster processors, more heat-resistant, longer-lived batteries, etc. And I’m not sure the Preza is 100% the Quattro’s without just a few features. Some of the HCP providers who frequent the forum or maybe the folks at Costco would be better qualified to address that question. Sorry if I have missed posts on the forum that have already settled that consideration.

Let me add that I trialed MANY hearing aids. I started with Oticon OPN, Linx3D, Enzo 3D, Signia something so awful I gave it back after a couple days, Quattro Ric…long trial, Phonak Audeo Marvel, Phonak Sky Marvel, finally…Resound Quattro BTE. The Resound improved during the months I had the Phonak’s.

The Accessory line is a very strong asset to the Resound aids. I love them. I have 2 TV connectors, 5 phone clips, 2 multi mics, 1 micro mic, and about 6 remotes. I am also in the process of getting DAI shoes from resound to try Roger Accessories without the multi mic as an intermediary. In any hearing aid, it is critical to get the venting right for good bass. I am an iPhone user. I went to iPhone when I started trialing these hearing aids. I use the phone clips to attach to my two way radio that we use for communication at work.

@efigalaxie that’s an impressive range of Resound gadgets you have. 5 phone clips, do you use each one for a different purpose? Are they all paired to your iPhone? Just curious.

The phone clips arent used with my iPhone at all. I used them at work with my 2-way radio and at home with any regular Bluetooth source. I keep three at work. They last 5 to 6 hours. My shift is 12. The remotes, I had a couple and then got a great deal on a lot of 4 on eBay.

1 Like

I got my new Quattro rechargeable aids in March, and everything was shut down shortly after. I have a molded earpiece which is not fitting properly, so getting back to get that changed has been a challenge. I did get one changed out for a replacement mold (it took 3 weeks to get that), but still uncomfortable with the molds. I believe that I will go back to using domes, as I am not comfortable with the feel of the molds.
Other than that, I love the aid and was able to easily have the audiologist change the settings and install that change using the Resound app on my iPhone. This is my 4th upgrade over the years, all Resound.

My Resound Linx3D broke this week and my audiologist set me up with Resound Quattro’s as a loaner. I was a long term Phonak customer until I bought the Resound Linx3D three years ago (because of the iPhone integration). I must say…the Quattro’s are SUPERB! Even better than the Linx3D’s in terms of sound quality, adapting to different sound environments and iPhone integration. I’m very impressed and seriously considering an upgrade.

Jordan.

i’ve had the quattros since the first week they came out… I’ve worn quite a few different types of HA’s over the past 12 yrs. and have usually upgraded every year or 2. I’ve tried a few different brands about 8 months ago and to me it wasn’t worth changing… ReSound IMO has the best app there is … I especially like the ability to set my programs and have them change automatically via GPS when leaving and entering my house

I think I’m about to join the folks that just don’t find ReSound hearing aids reliable. The high-frequency response has failed on my THIRD left ear Quattro 961 (it was a warranty replacement in 8/19 for the 2nd failed left HA). My original right hearing aid is still going strong from 10/18 and it’s been through everything that all the failed left ones have. All the left ones have failed with the same symptom. When they first boot, I can hear high-frequency sound through them for the first minute or so but then the high-frequency sound response disappears, e.g., rubbing fingers together, cricket sounds, high-frequency exhaust fan noise, etc.

I have previously suggested that perhaps the problem is that I’m psoriatic and my scalp sheds a continuous rain of dead skin cells even with the use of medicated shampoos. The left side of my head seems to shed more than the right. All the mic openings cleverly point upwards. Since high frequency sound penetrates barriers less well than low frequency sound, clogging the inside of the microphone openings might be my problem but each time I’ve gone to my audi, she hasn’t seen anything wrong with the microphone openings. Each time I’ve asked her to get a reason from ReSound for the failure and each time she’s said ReSound has just provided a warranty replacement with no explanation. A ReSound support person told me a while ago that there is a special request form I can ask my audi to fill out so I’ll see if that is available and gets any better response from ReSound on getting my third left HA fixed or replaced.

The third replacement left HA had a problem with incorrect rechargeable battery levels that was addressed by a ReSound Quattro firmware update.

It also now has the problem AFTER THE FIRMWARE UPDATE that when I stick it in the charger, it will begin charging for the first minute or two (flashing LED) but then the left HA will stop charging until it is jiggled again in its charger bay (never happens to the right HA). When I called ReSound support about this and other issues, the person I spoke to had no interest of taking note of this problem that I wished to report but just told me to go to my audi and let her look into it . My theory is that in fixing the voltage discharge curve problem with the Quattro production series that required the update that ReSound introduced a new problem that makes my left HA think it’s reached its full charge level during the initial charging warm-up.

So basically three failed left HA’s for high frequency microphone input (streaming high-frequency from a phone has always worked great on all the failed ones so it’s in the microphone input system), a left HA that appeared to have a defective battery that discharged too rapidly (but just needed a firmware update) and now, after the firmware update, that same left HA needs babysitting when charging is initiated or it will fail to keep charging. These annoyances have not made me a big fan of ReSound hearing aids. Especially with a global pandemic going on, it would be nice to own some hearing aids that worked reliably. I guess my original left HA still going strong since October, 2018, shows that ReSound can occasionally make a HA that will stand the test of time but I’ve had three HA bodies that have each only held up ~6 to ~10 months before failing. 25% (1 out of 4 still surviving within the warranty period) is not a passing grade.

Love the sound quality (when they work) and love the app. Dislike the hardware unreliability.

Odd. I’ve had my ReSound Quattro rechargeables since Aug 2018 and have had zero problems since day one. In fact, aside from the initial consultation and subsequent return visit for the fitting, I have so far had no need for any servicing or even settings adjustments. And I’m a first-time HA wearer. Very thrilled, indeed, with the quality of the Quattros, its iPhone integration, and the flexibility of the iOS app.

Another thing that I’ve wondered is that I’m running NAL-NL2 as my fitting algorithm and I have feedback suppression essentially turned off as with my ~occlusive molds, there is normally no feedback while the HA’s are in my ears. The NAL-NL2 algorithm, though, amplifies high-frequency input more than ReSound’s Audiogram+ fitting algorithm. But while my HA’s are turned on, as I insert or remove my HA’s into my ear canals, I can generate a pretty loud feedback squeal. I’ve actually wondered if that loud feedback over time could be the source of my high-frequency microphone input loss. I asked my audi if it was safe for the HA’s to be exposed to that squeal on insertion or removal but she scoffed at the idea that it could hurt the HA’s themselves. And the original right HA has been getting ~as much of the feedback squeal on insertion or removal as any of the left ones.

A possible clue to what might be going on with the left Quattro 961’s apparent loss of high-frequency microphone input response. Looking at the Clinician’s Report for my HA program usage, I see that my right HA (which is 20 months old) has spent 2.6% of its (lifetime?) usage in streaming mode. My current left HA, which is only 10.5 months old and only went south recently, has spent 5.9% of its total lifetime streaming.

Perhaps my high-frequency input problems with Quattro HA’s could be explained if the affected individual HA’s have had a bug that makes them spontaneously enter streaming mode (in particular streaming-only mode) where microphone input is squelched and maybe any residual low-frequency hearing is simply leaking through my molds. That would be consistent with the observation that high-frequency input is available on first booting the affected HA but goes away within a minute or so.

A streaming-only setting for the left HA, though, does not show up in the Smart 3D app and my HA status report shows that program synchronization is set up between HA’s. So presumably one HA could not go into a streaming-only mode without the other doing so. Yet there is a very significant difference in the amount of usage that my left HA(s?) have spent streaming vs. my original right HA, still going strong. Very strange.

Edit_Update: OTH, if the % reports reflect TOTAL lifetime usage for just a specific HA body and the right is 20 months old, the left only 10.5 months old, it could be with COVID-19 and more time spent exercising by walking around the neighborhood recently that my streaming usage has gone up a lot in the last 10.5 months (whole life of left) but this last 10.5 months is only about half the life of the right HA with my streaming usage for that previously being much lower, lowering the overall 20 month lifetime average. Something to ask my audi about the next time I see her.

I’ve had my Quattros since 8/18, with no hardware or software problems. I had a lot of comfort issues, and I really hoped to hear better than I do in noise, but the aids themselves have been solid. With all you’ve gone through, though, I can see why you don’t want to have anything more to do with them.

1 Like