Resound Nexia, Google 8, ASHA protocol, Bluetooth Streaming Audio Quality

Hello all. New member. I am trialing the Resound Nexia. During the start of the trial I had an old Google Pixel 3A, and just upgraded Thursday to the Google Pixel 8. The problem I am having is with the sound quality duing Audio Streaming of apps and phone calls. The sound quality is bad. There doesn’t seem to be any parameters with regard to my prescription level. The best I can describe it is crass, intense, painful, sometimes with tapping and pounding that is occuring in my ear. This occurs at normal and minimal hearing levels. In order for it not to “hurt” or seem obtrusive I must turn the volume down to a point that I can barely hear. I may as well go without the HA. My question is does this have to do with (in)capabilites within the ASHA protocol to stream, or is my Audiologist missing something in the settings to set the streaming to my prescriptive level? Also, nothing changed as far as streaming audio quality from the Pixel 3A to the Pixel 8 unfortunately.

For questions like this, it would really help to have your audiogram. (Click on FORUM at top of page, then My Hearing Tests) Most people complain of sound quality from streaming due to lack of bass. This is especially true for those with a high frequency loss. You may have something else going on. How sensitive are you to loud sounds in general?

1 Like

I do not have a current audiogram, but I can obtain one Monday 1/24. I am also going to stream through a Iphone on Monday to see if the quality is the same.

I’ve got a Pixel 8 Pro and Jabra Enhance 10 aids. The aids are very similar to Resound Omnia aids, the previous generation to what you’re trialling. I’m not experiencing issues like the ones you’re describing. The sound is roughly in line with my expectations given the tiny speaker in my ear. It’s definitely using my prescription.

Just to confirm… you were getting those uncomfortable sounds with the older Pixel as well?

Yes. It made no discernible difference.

I was wondering whether there was some unwanted interaction going on between LE Audio and ASHA (both your phone and your aids can do both). That theory’s out the window.

Trying the iphone would be interesting and may help your audiologist narrow things down, but I think there’s a problem with how they’ve set things up. I’ve tried both mfi and ASHA btw, and if there is a difference it’s not pronounced.

1 Like

Resound Nexia Streaming Audio Quality @radio_davio It seems you may be experiencing similar problems.

@Mart_C This is exactly where we headed with regards to my issue with improving sound quality. So far in my trial, I changed domes, with a closed dome on my left, and a single vent on my right. It improved bass, not too much, but i’ll take it. The next thing we did was go to the music program. It was only slightly better than my all around program but I had the audi make big changes lowering the treble and the middle, and increasing the bass. It is the best sound i’v had so far when making phone calls, and streaming. I go back in to tweak it tomorrow. I am still stumped as to why my all around setting is so intense when streaming and on phone calls. I will re address with my audi, and maybe attempt to call Resound on my own to help explain this. Again, it is as though their is no prescriptive sound, but high, crass, tinny, makes my stapes go thump thump thump (i’m guessing) instense sound, at a reasonable volume level. Back to the audi tomorrow to continue the experiement on the google 8. The iphone experiment help very little btw.