ReSound Enzo 3D vs Oticon Xceed

Hi everyone, hope all is well.
I have a severe-profound hearing loss. I was told about the new Oticon Xceed that is soon to be released sometime in November, but I was recommended the Enzo 3D. This is what I was told by one audiologist:

“The Resound Enzo 3D would be the hearing aid best for your hearing loss because there is more fitting range and headroom to make adjustments, especially if your hearing changes.”

"The problem with the Xceed is its fitting range. There is not room to make any adjustments for the high frequencies, it is maxed out. "

I was shown an area above graph where there would be some “wiggle room” with Enzo 3D if needed in future, but that was not the case with Xceed.

I asked another audiologist, I was told Xceed should be the most powerful hearing aid and it has excellent feedback cancellation system along with sound navigation technology.

Both audiologists are professional and experts in their fields, so I am torn between these two.
Enzo 3D came out in December 2017, XCeed will be released in November (Canada). The way I see it, it should have newer technology in it and Oticon website claims it to be the world’s most powerful hearing aid. (yes, i know I shouldn’t take their word for it).

Sorry, I do not have the hearing test with me. I would really appreciate input from audiologists and anyone with experience using these hearing aids.

Thank you in advance.

Agree. Even Xceed UP have less high frequencies than SP… not ultrapower of course.

Yes - preferably you want to go with “newer” technology" but trial both. You could test Resound for Oct./Nov. and then test Xceed Nov./Dec. In many many cases HA manufacturers claim “new this - new that” when new HA brands first come out. In reality these new HA are really not that different from the previous - older versions. In many ways “its false advertising” but the game has been played for years. Oticon claims Xceed reduces “wind noise/feed back” which every other HA manufacturer claims. You don’t buy a HA because it reduces wind noise and feed back. You buy for better hearing and “new technology” which Xceed might have and might not have.

2 Likes

Hi lostdeaf, thanks for replying.
I’ve read your reviews on the Xceed, I know you mentioned it had less power than the Dynamo hearing aid you had, which is surprising. This is exactly why I am researching before commiting.

It seems like we have a very similar hearing loss, in your opinion what is the best current HA for you?

youbgone, thanks for replying.

I agree, power matrix is the most important factor for severe-profound loss. I guess I was hoping the brand new Xceed that is soon to be released would be the most powerful, but it looks like that might not be the case. Oticon makes very good hearing aids and the SUMO XP I had years ago was reliable and never gave me problems.
One benefit to buying a brand new just released model HA is the longer service/repair period if there is an issue.
Most have a mandated requirement of a minimum of 5 years repair/support. If one buys a model that has been released for couple years, and there is an issue outside of the 5-year window, chances are it is discontinued and no longer serviced by then. Which is exactly what happened to my MOTION 7MI.

Hi! I sent question about less output power of Xceed to Oticon. They must answer today. Here is a copy of my question to Oticon: Oticon Xceed SP and UP fitting range

It’s answer from Oticon Denmark:

I used the audio you provided, thank you!
Please refer to the document attached.
I initially entered the Bone conduction values for only the left ear in Genie 2 (so you can see how that translated into differences in the prescription in the lows between the 2 ears). Both Genie 2017 and Genie 2 try to take a seemingly air-bone gap into account in the low frequencies for both SP and Dynamo and add gain up to 750 Hz; (I compared all 3 devices but it’s a closer ‘comparison’ with Dynamo 143/82 BW 100-6500 and Xceed SP, 143/83 and BW 100-6500, also same battery size). Both were set to the default rationale of DSE.

I also see that the peak of the response in Xceed is between 1500-2K, while with Dynamo its closer to 1-1500 Hz. Of course the inside hardware, ie, the receivers are different between the 2 different product families. Xceed wasn’t developed to be a copy of the Dynamo response, and of course with OpenSound Optimizer, there should be more headroom too and the slightly higher MPO’s in Xceed reflect that, as well as the extra gain for soft inputs.

Your question was: “XCEED SP and UP prescribes less amplification in midtones compared to DYNAMO SP for same customer with profound hearing loss.” my findings don’t support that:
At 1K, there is a slight difference in prescribed gain:
At 1K, Dynamo prescribed MPO of 134, and gain for loud/mod/soft as 53/59/65
At 1K, Xceed SP prescribed MPO of 138, and gain for loud/mod/soft as 50/57/61

At 1.5, more gain for SOFT with Xceed SP:
At 1.5K, Dynamo prescribed MPO of 129, and gain for loud/mod/soft as 57/63/63
At 1.5K, Xceed SP prescribed MPO of 130, and gain for loud/mod/soft as 57/64/70

At 2K, Xceed offers a higher MPO and gain for all 3 input levels:
At 2K, Dynamo prescribed MPO of 126, and gain for loud/mod/soft as 57/57/57
At 2K, Xceed SP prescribed MPO of 136, and gain for loud/mod/soft as 63/65/65

You also noted:” XCEED gives more amplification than Dynamo only on LOW freqs”; yes that seems to be true

At 250 Hz, Dynamo prescribed MPO of 117, and gain for loud/mod/soft as 26/32/37
At 250 Hz, Xceed SP prescribed MPO of 127, and gain for loud/mod/soft as 32/38/44

Overall, the curves of Dynamo and Xceed SP are different due to different receivers, even with the same rationale applied (DSE); Xceed offers the availability of additional gain due to OSO esp in the mid freqs. The extra fitting bands in Xceed should offer a bit more fitting flexibility. Real ear measurements might reflect if the differences in the peaks/freq response of the products result in notable differences in the patient’s ear.
I’m not sure if I’ve fully responded to your concerns; I know it’s hard to compare old and new products, even if they look similar on paper or not. If I get any additional info from colleagues in Denmark I will share that as soon as possible!

lostdeaf, thank you for posting.
It seems like Oticon views the Xceed to be more powerful than the previous generation models. At least on paper.

Now regarding Enzo 3D vs Xceed:
I emailed a few audiologists regarding Xceed vs Enzo 3D, I was told by four of them that Xceed power matrix is actually higher than Enzo.

Here is a quote from a detailed response:

"Thank you for contacting us regarding Resound Enzo 3D vs Oticon Xceed.

I am comparing the Matrix for both manufacturers’ power hearing aids, and the Xceed has more power.

Specifically the matrix for the Oticon Xceed BTEs are

SP is 139 dB SPL Peak power / 79 dB peak gain

UP is 142 dB SPL Peak Power / 83 dB peak gain

The Enzo 3D matrix

High Power 132 dB SPL Peak Power / 73 dB peak gain.

Super power 141 dB SPL Peak Power / 83 dB peak gain.

I think the “ wiggle room” is greater with the Xceed and most likely has more power than we would use."

This is a relief for me as it makes my decision much easier. Xceed is a brand new model, newer circuit, hopefully better/updated technology, possibly longer service/repair window?

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Let us know when you trial the Xceed and “cost” you were quoted. I need to research Oticon new power aid but assume its offered with either size 13 battery or possibly 675 battery. To me “bigger the battery the better”. I’ll also be interested to read how your Exceed HA performed in “noisy situations”, since I tend to believe power aids have more difficulty cutting off background noise versus HA’s made for mild to mid-range hearing loss. And have to wonder why many times new HA’s seem to be offered in Europe first and then down the road in the U.S.? The delay to me seems unnecessary but on the plus side new users in U.S. have to opportunity to see how HA performed (good/bad) by European users.

There’s usually only one figure that matters with serious UP aids - ‘Max Stable Gain’.

The claims about MPO and Gain are functions of whatever coupler the manufacturer chooses to use with whatever signal works best for their aid.

In reality it comes dow to how much you can turn up the wick before the receiver saturates and becomes unstable. Some manufacturers (Phonak) have made some very powerful aids in the past that you could never get anywhere near maximum output without the FBM jumping all over the output.

To realise this comparison in your case you’ll need to have the aids programmed an demoed side by side with REM.

1 Like

All Xceed models are based on Velox S platform, so you may read many posts here about Opn S in noisy situations.