Rechargeable vs non rechargeable hearing aids

@WhiteHat: Nope, 10oz. is the smallest worth bothering with. A Mickey Finn.

1 Like

When I think of a mickey finn, I think of a drugged drink that takes you to next week. But one of my boys is known for having lots of nips. An open liquor bottle in a vehicle can get you in trouble. But a still sealed one isn’t bad as long as you aren’t over the limit. This has lead to a huge trash problem in my region where these things line the streets – empty, of course, and picking them up along with the caps is a PITA.

Saw this looking it up: Mickey Finn (Wikipedia)

WH

1 Like

@SpudGunner Interestingly, to me who loves etymology, your usage is in this article: Wiktionary “mickey”

Thanks for the pleasant diversion.

WH

1 Like

@WhiteHat: You’re welcome … insects are fascinating creatures, indeed!

1 Like

I’ll remember this thread the next time Spud complains of posters not sticking to topics related to hearing aids…

that said, I like a little diversion too. have at it!

1 Like

@jeffrey: I rarely do what you’re accusing me of unless the deviation is for abusive purposes (as yours often are, BTW).

3 Likes

I think rechargeable vs nonrechargeable is a Chevy vs Ford type augment.
Both sides have their reasons for which one they prefer.
No one is really wrong

1 Like

FWIW @freezerman404 , I agree. If it weren’t for the fact that I have issues that cause my days to be very long, and an epileptic dog that almost always seizes during the narrow time slot in which I do sleep, I would probably be completely indifferent as to whether my hearing aids were rechargeable or not. My life, however, is fraught with extenuating circumstances that are currently causing me to wish that I had the disposable battery version of my Mores. Each version has its pros and cons - as you suggest. Which of the two is better for you depends on those circumstances, pretty much.

3 Likes

Oh man, I had a Ford returned under the Calif Lemon Law and a Chevy that was almost as bad. I will have to go with…Honda vs Toyota :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Actually, I think it is a bit more complicated than that. I believe that a person s positions on this issue probably suggest their position on many other unrelated issues. Change can be difficult.

1 Like

Generally I think you are correct.
Change can be hard.
But as Spud pointed out, there are legitimate reasons to prefer one over the other.
Kev pointed out a good reason. I’m sure they are many others.
I just wonder if, going forward how long the hearing aid companies plan on giving people a choice.

2 Likes

I’m not accusing you of anything! I was mildly kidding you, as I thought I made clear by the full, short post. As I already wrote, I like yours and other folks rambling off topic a bit. No harm!

I don’t think having a different opinion from another person is the same thing as being abusive. As now! is my stating my mind…being abusive? No.

No, it’s not … it’s just that sometimes -it appears from where I’m standing - that you’re stalking me and sniping. I don’t like that, and I react badly when I perceive it to be happening.

I honestly didn’t pick up on the jocular intent of your previous post. Today is another day, and we’re all good.

@Baltazard : NOTHING has escalated … can we just move on past this :racehorse::poop:, please?

2 Likes

Yep, agreed. Sorry I brought it up.

2 Likes

I agree with those who say there is no “right” answer to this question.

I wear Phonak P90 in my left ear and a Phonak CROS in the deaf right ear. I am really deaf without my aids. I even have some problems with my aids. I tried the rechargeable and took them back and got replaceable battery aids. Here are my two main reasons:

1. I have a CROS aid which means they stream all the time. I tried the rechargeable and the charge lasted only 12-14 hours because of the constant steaming to the CROS aid. Put them in at 7am and they were dead by 9pm. That is just not long enough.

2. I’m old and worry about emergency situations. If I had to be admitted to a hospital or needed surgery, I can easily change batteries in a minute or two to be able to communicate with the staff. Or even wear the aids all night. (I ran into this problem taking care of my late husband.)

I would have loved to not need to buy and replace 4 batteries a week, but it just was not practical for me.

4 Likes

This happened to me (different details) and my backups weren’t up to the task. It was a dangerous fiasco that would not have occurred, had my Mores been of the disposable battery kind.

2 Likes

I keep a pair of 312 batteries in my wallet. I never leave home without my wallet and therefore I have never been caught wanting.

3 Likes

I did too when I had hearing aids that used disposable batteries. But I was always forgetting about them unless I was out away from home or didn’t have my to go backpack with me.
But now that I have rechargeable hearing aids I enjoy the freedom of not worrying about the batteries going dead while I am in a meeting, in a lecture or out with friends and family, it is truly a feeling of freedom. But I do keep a togo backpack that has everything i need in case I have to go somewhere in a rush that may keep me overnight. It is something I had to do when I was in the military and I have kept doing it every since and it has proven it’s usefulness many times over the years. I make it a point once a week to double check it to make sure the backup battery packs are still charged and I have a fresh change of clothes, and of course it contains chargers and cables for my devices.

3 Likes