Rechargeable vs non rechargeable hearing aids

What faults, I have rechargeable aids and they are doing great. Sure if I was someone that streamed a lot or spend 20 plus hours a day wearing them I would deplete the batteries, I seldom here people complaining about recharging their phones during the day, but most do. Think about it I can think of a number of times a day I could stick my aids into my smart charger during the day to give them a bust if needed, 30 minutes can add 6 hours of life to the aids. But I only did this nice so far as I was traveling and I really didn’t need to. I learned a very long time ago to work with what I have and I was presented with.

2 Likes

@cvkemp: Chuck, I’m not being sarcastic when I say that’s good for you … I’m sincerely glad you’re experiencing smooth sailing. But, I think we need to bear in mind that not everyone (myself included) shares that experience. Just because you have no problems doesn’t mean others don’t, or that they’re doing something wrong.

It’s fine to make do with what we’ve got - we’re veterans, and aren’t paying out of pocket for the devices we wear. (We paid with our service.)

For those who pay out of their own pockets, I think they have a right to grouse if what they pay for doesn’t meet their demands. It would be great if everyone could share your success - but that’s just not the way it is …

3 Likes

Being now presented with cinderblock ears, I’ve got to avoid any kind of “hang up and charge 'em” during daytime hours.

I wore aids the last 15 years while working, and of course there weren’t rechargeables around then. But even now, I have 9 yards of insanity going on most days as I settle into a new house with way too many things to fix and have serviced. So I’m still extra cautious about always having some kind of aids in the ears that let me hear during daylight hours.

So far, in the TWO days I’ve worn my Phonak Life aids, I didn’t run down the batteries. :slight_smile: But like a swimmer at sea, I’ll always reach for what I’m more comfortable controlling: the battery-operated aids of yore.

People don’t post on facebook that their rechargeables are working fine…and with those who do complain, there’s the unspoken possibility of user error. “My rechargeable aids quit on me!” (after I wore them in the shower/forgot to recharge them/ stepped on them yesterday). Of course some rechargeable aids are faulty. People here who like their rechargeable aids are having no issues. that’s the norm.
I had reservations about getting rechargeables as well. As I mentioned earlier, not having to remember to buy yet more batteries has been a relief. I like it!

2 Likes

@SpudGunner i was raised to be the way I am, it isn’t because I am retired. When I was still working I would take my aids out for my lunch and breaks. It was my way to decompress and destress. I grew up on the farm so I learned very early to just figure out how to get the work done and that money wasn’t available to get the party or pay someone. So no it isn’t just a hat I am retired, but it sure does help.

Read my note to @SpudGunner, it isn’t totally that I am retired

Most people never post when things are working great only when they have complains.

2 Likes

@cvkemp: Chuck, you’re mixing me up with someone else. I never said anything about being retired! Not a word!!

You didn’t really read the note, I said for that person to read the note I made to you!

Sorry, Chuck. You’re right. I didn’t read it correctly. (Or maybe not … I’m still confused as to why you’re explaining to me how you were raised, etc. I dunno!)

2 Likes

I am working full time. I have rechargeables and I’m very satisfied. I have had them almost 11 months. I have a battery attached to the case, and a plan for using a different battery if power were to go out long enough. I can also charge off any of the three cars in the yard as it just uses a USB.

I don’t have anything against those who want disposable batteries. But I feel like I’m doing well with these. If one doesn’t/wouldn’t work for you, then I am glad you can have the other.

WH

@WhiteHat , @cvkemp: I have said on several occasions that I’m sort of indifferent HOWEVER, I have been caught short a couple of times when Seth had seizures late at night, and when I had to attend emergency because of an arrhythmia. Then there’s the insecurity caused by the premature failure of my batteries.

I carry 3 battery packs with me whenever I leave the house, but it didn’t matter when the rechargeable batteries went south.

2 Likes

I am lucky I have the smart charger that I can grab an go

1 Like

@cvkemp: I have GorillaTaped® a battery to the bottom of my Oticon charger. The whole shebang fits inside of a RubberMaid sandwich container. My version of the SmartCharger is called the CheapCharger®. But, hey, it works!:+1:t2:

[But a gal at the hospital told me she thought my hamburger patty should be refrigerated.]

3 Likes

I’m a P90 user with no battery problems.
I read somewhere they have sold over 1M of the paradise rechargeables. And continuing. As Dr Cliff said in a video 75%+ of all his aids sold are rechargeable units.
My opinion- the vocal problems are the minority. But whatever works for each of us…

Jim you are most definitely a cheapskate, and a man after my own heart :rofl: :upside_down_face: :rofl: as the auld adage goes…. “Necessity is the mother of invention” :grin: I hope you, Karen, and all the animals are well? As for rechargeable aids go, I absolutely detest the things, but each to their own :grin: Mind you, even if I did like them, at present, I don’t think there is a rechargeable Ultra Power BTE aid on the market for severe/profound loss? Cheers Kev :wink:

2 Likes

@kevels55: Thanks for asking, but the answer to that is “no” - exacerbated by the fact that Seth’s 12-year-old father (thoroughly ancient by Newfoundland dog standards), whom we rescued from a situation of neglect last year, collapsed while Karen was away visiting family.

The vet missed the bloodwork that indicates that he’s been suffering from severe hypothyroidism since at least January. No wonder our treatments for other related conditions have not been successful! But, he’s getting thyroxine replacement therapy now, so I hope he’ll recover, but he’s been a pretty sick puppy.

It’s surely off-topic, but … Thanks for asking about my fur family, Kev!

:chair::chair::chair::chair:

:potato::gun::potato:

1 Like

You are welcome Jim. Aye not so good about Seth…. But at least they’re on the right track now…. Hopefully he will pull through :crossed_fingers: Take care, cheers Kev :wink:

@kevels55: Seth is bonny, Kev … 'tis his old sire who has the hypothyroidism … Seth is a special gift to me from God and the Angels of Mercy!

1 Like

I have Audibel A4s.
I have a habit of falling asleep with my aids in.
Usually wake up about 5-6am.
Take them out put them in the charger and go lay back down.
I’ll usually put them back in at 10am.
When I take them out they are still working.
I do not stream.
I hate batteries.
Just about all my tools are rechargeable. I try to buy things that are rechargeable.
I use rechargeable batteries in remotes.
I just swap then out.
That’s just me.
To each their own.

3 Likes