Rechargeable vs non rechargeable hearing aids

@kevels55: Seth is bonny, Kev … 'tis his old sire who has the hypothyroidism … Seth is a special gift to me from God and the Angels of Mercy!

1 Like

I have Audibel A4s.
I have a habit of falling asleep with my aids in.
Usually wake up about 5-6am.
Take them out put them in the charger and go lay back down.
I’ll usually put them back in at 10am.
When I take them out they are still working.
I do not stream.
I hate batteries.
Just about all my tools are rechargeable. I try to buy things that are rechargeable.
I use rechargeable batteries in remotes.
I just swap then out.
That’s just me.
To each their own.

3 Likes

Apologies for my confusion Jim …… It comes easy to me! :rofl:

1 Like

Yeah @freezerman404, the vast majority of my power tools are battery powered,(Mostly 18v Dewalt) on count-back, I have 14 batteries, all are between 4AH and 6AH, 2 x were 54 Flexi Volt, but one these no longer works, along with another also original 4AH, they will not take a charge, very unusual for original Li-on Dewalt batteries, but they do become faulty! And like you, I actively seek out rechargeable power tools, but the fundamental difference with hearing aids is, I am restricted to the internal battery, I can swap out my rechargeable power tool batteries whenever necessary. Also worthy of note, rechargeable aids have a BMS (Battery Management System) they will cut out in sub-zero temperature’s, and will not reboot until placed in the charger, this happened to me twice, out in the sticks, in challenging circumstances …. But as always, YMMV. Cheers Kev :wink:

Li-ion batteries for power tools are just like those for hearing aids and smartphones and EVs. They do best if kept in a 20% to 80% SOC range. I usually have several for each tool and as I use them, I check the number of LEDs lit and swap them out to stay within a desirable state of charge.

My EGO power tools have quite large batteries that are equipped with vents and the charger has a fan built in so as I charge the batteries, they are air-cooled (also while in use on the tool, too). My DJI drone, which really maxes out battery drainage and battery heating while in use, instructs me to wait 30 minutes after use to allow a battery to cool before recharging! The DJI batteries have no vents and they get pretty warm while in use.

I imagine HA batteries are so small that the surface-to-volume ratio is so great that any worries about overheating the batteries during charging or use at normal room temperature are virtually nil as compared to the larger batteries used in power tools and drones. But it would be great to see the sort of smarts that are available in iOS and Android apps to tell you about the state of health of your battery come to HA’s to give you more info on how your rechargeable HA batteries are holding up. iOS has the “Battery Health” indicator, which at least helps inform you as you’re going along ~how much usable lifetime you have left. Most of my other Li-ion battery powered devices, including my HA’s, offer no info on how the battery is holding up and the user has to guess by how fast the battery drains.

1 Like

Where I live South East Louisiana subzero is not an issue.
If I wake up to subzero temperatures one day my hearing aids would be the least of my problems.
Now power outages yes.
I usually charge the charger in car if I have to.
Bought a solar charger.
Haven’t tried it yet.

I just buy my own batteries online, I have done so for many years, tis a 40 odd mile round trip to Inverness to get batteries, I can buy 60 batteries, get them delivered free from Amazon, for around £16, they will last me approximately 10 months, I always have a couple of months supply, before I order more, I have a spare pack in both cars, and most jackets :upside_down_face: Cheers Kev :wink:

5 Likes

@kevels55: I used to do that with “mickies” of vodka, Kev! :joy:

2 Likes

Not familiar with the term. Is that what we call a nip? ~1.5oz?

WH

1 Like

@WhiteHat: Nope, 10oz. is the smallest worth bothering with. A Mickey Finn.

1 Like

When I think of a mickey finn, I think of a drugged drink that takes you to next week. But one of my boys is known for having lots of nips. An open liquor bottle in a vehicle can get you in trouble. But a still sealed one isn’t bad as long as you aren’t over the limit. This has lead to a huge trash problem in my region where these things line the streets – empty, of course, and picking them up along with the caps is a PITA.

Saw this looking it up: Mickey Finn (Wikipedia)

WH

1 Like

@SpudGunner Interestingly, to me who loves etymology, your usage is in this article: Wiktionary “mickey”

Thanks for the pleasant diversion.

WH

1 Like

@WhiteHat: You’re welcome … insects are fascinating creatures, indeed!

1 Like

I’ll remember this thread the next time Spud complains of posters not sticking to topics related to hearing aids…

that said, I like a little diversion too. have at it!

1 Like

@jeffrey: I rarely do what you’re accusing me of unless the deviation is for abusive purposes (as yours often are, BTW).

3 Likes

I think rechargeable vs nonrechargeable is a Chevy vs Ford type augment.
Both sides have their reasons for which one they prefer.
No one is really wrong

1 Like

FWIW @freezerman404 , I agree. If it weren’t for the fact that I have issues that cause my days to be very long, and an epileptic dog that almost always seizes during the narrow time slot in which I do sleep, I would probably be completely indifferent as to whether my hearing aids were rechargeable or not. My life, however, is fraught with extenuating circumstances that are currently causing me to wish that I had the disposable battery version of my Mores. Each version has its pros and cons - as you suggest. Which of the two is better for you depends on those circumstances, pretty much.

3 Likes

Oh man, I had a Ford returned under the Calif Lemon Law and a Chevy that was almost as bad. I will have to go with…Honda vs Toyota :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Actually, I think it is a bit more complicated than that. I believe that a person s positions on this issue probably suggest their position on many other unrelated issues. Change can be difficult.

1 Like

Generally I think you are correct.
Change can be hard.
But as Spud pointed out, there are legitimate reasons to prefer one over the other.
Kev pointed out a good reason. I’m sure they are many others.
I just wonder if, going forward how long the hearing aid companies plan on giving people a choice.

2 Likes