Rechargeable Oticon More dead and flashing orange twice in charger

This morning went to put in the Oticon More 1 rechargeables and one of them was/is flashing two quick orange flashes of the LED and is dead. Other one was a green Iight and is working. Charger light is green. I cleaned out the cavities where they sit, but that didn’t do it. I guess this HA goes back to the shop? Too bad, it’s the ear that needs the most help. Anyway to reset or reboot? I couldn’t find any variation of “Oticon More orange light flashes twice”

These have been great devices, very pleased. But dead after 6 months is not encouraging!

2 Likes

I believe that your audiologist can;

• push one pin out
  • replace the rechargeable lithuim ion battery
  • re-pin the battery door to the hearing aid

Meanwhile; maybe try unplug-and-replug the charger from its power source?

The battery door can be opened with a small tool. No need to remove pins. The new batteries have to be “re-zeroed” using the Genie2 software for the battery readout to be accurate.

The manual says the blinking orange LED is a “system error” and to consult the hearing care professional. It doesn’t appear to be a battery fault warning.

Thanks for the info about the battery door tool. I am curious about what that tool would look like?

Still, it wouldn’t hurt to try power-cycling the hearing aids and the charger.
How to turn Oticon Rechargeable Hearing Aids On or Off

The tool to open the Oticon rechargeable hearing aids battery door looks like this.
It may be possible to swap the batteries of the two hearing aids to confirm that it is not a battery failure.

1 Like

That’s good to know it’s just the typical pin removal tool,I’m thinking all rechargeable batteries from the manufacturers can be replaced similar to this. Getting hold of the correct battery would be the hardest part.

@tenkan: You don’t need to remove any pins. The picture above is not of the correct tool. The metal part of the correct tool is larger in diameter than a pin and has a blunt, rounded tip. It inserts into a hole in the bottom of the battery drawer. When you push in, the internal plastic latch gives way and the battery drawer swings open just like a replaceable battery model. No pins are removed.

Ok great thanks for letting me know, with the ability to change the batteries, makes me see rechargeable in a bit more positive light ; )

2 Likes

OP here. Power buttons have no effect, not on or off, just the orange flashing. I’ll take it into the Audi this week. Hopefully a quick turnaround.

I’ll ask about a battery swap as a possible DIY. Not that I generally ever go anywhere, but this kind of shakes me up in terms of taking a long trip somewhere. Would suck to be traveling and not be able to hear. I mean, I guess any HA could break, but this seems related to the battery/charging. It seems if one were to do some extended traveling it might almost be worth having that tool and a spare battery along on the trip, if that is the issue here.

1 Like

@ha11 : I’ll repeat what the manual says: it says the blinking orange LED is flagging a system error, and not a battery fault.

1 Like

Yes, we agree that removing pins is not necessary. But my source says that the the Pin Tool can be used to open the Oticon More rechargeable battery door. I believe him.

Whatever. You can use a screwdriver to open a can of beer, too.

2 Likes

We can find Oticon’s educational video on how to replace a rechargeable battery in Genie 2, the tool used to open the battery door in the video is the same tool in the picture I posted above.

1 Like

When it’s a choice between one tool that I cannot find, and another tool that is readily available, I have to choose the one that is available. Sometimes I even make my own tools;
Thanks @menglxs for finding that video!

1 Like

Ha ha, yeah sometimes that’s what it takes, but what the heck is that, a drawing pin? I like it.

1 Like

It’s just a push pin for a cork board with the pointed tip ground off for pushing out the Oticon receivers.

3 Likes

You mean we need something other than a hammer or duct tape? The horror!

2 Likes

If a pin would work then another option is a sim card removal tool … most smartphones come with one.

For that matter, a paper clip!

Since I don’t have an aid to look at I have no idea if these would fit but a pin as pictured is thicker than both…

I just had this problem. I removed the hearing aid from the charger then unplugged the charger from the mains for 15-20 sec. I reconnected the charger then inserted the HA again - it worked fine and is now charging.

1 Like

I have this problem constantly with mine. They have been sent back and replaced multiple times. Now my warranty has run out and they are doing it yet also it is so frustrating. The insurance company only pays a fraction of the cost to replace them I feel so taken advantage of because I really need them.