Rechargeable Lumity Life NOT holding its charge anymore

I am much less confused now. lol. Since I don’t have Life HA’s, I am not bound to 1 charger. I have 4, lol. I elected to go with the Lumity L90’s. I only have two pair of aids, since I only started in 2019, The L90’s are new (5 days at this writing), My marvels got sent to the VA Denver tech facility when I received the original Paradise (which I rejected for the Lumity). Anyway, I got my Marvel’s back from Denver two weeks ago, certified “rebuilt”, and programmed. That ain’t a cheap charger you got, it $175 on Amazon.

I experienced that with my Marvels, I had them paired to my Kindle so I could listen to some music from there. The issue was, I never turn my kindle off, took me a few to figure why my HA battery’s were nosediving. lol. What I did find was I didn’t need to have my cellphone turned on to listen to my TVconnector. Once I had the connector set up, and linked to Ha’s it doesn’t need the phone.

I was wondering if Autosense 5.0 also adds to power consumption, constantly monitoring the environment and deciding whether it needs to switch program settings and then doing so frequently. Other HA programs/settings, like ReSound’s 360 All-Around mode, do this but perhaps less aggressively. Although it might be defeating the purpose of Autosense, I wonder if you created your own special program that works for most circumstances and stuck with that, only switching to Automatic as needed, whether that would save battery juice (or is Autosense going gangbusters, too, even in user-created programs?).

I really appreciate your informative observations. Your comments are real world examples that truly speak to your appraisal of these HAs.

1 Like

No, I don’t think so. Autosense is just kind of “normal operation”. But: in “speech in loud noise” a microfon array is built for beam forming. To do so the signals need to be transmitted to the oposite HA. This is radio transmition and needs power!

And no, I use Autosense as default.
“Speech in loud noise” kicks in when I need it!

Autosense requires radio communication, too, because the two HA’s have to compare what they’re hearing and somebody (the master?) has to decide what to do about it and send the appropriate signal to the other HA to act appropriately. I agree the amount of computation and transmission of actual sound is not as great as for speech in loud noise. Not familiar enough to know if Phonak also uses audio processing as well as active cancellation to remove noise from speech. But I would bet different audio settings burn up different amounts of energy in noise and wind suppression, too, or increased amplification of a frequency range to compensate for a soundscape, etc. Speech Enhancer where soft speech is selectively amplified in a quiet soft environment would be another example where more energy is put into sound reproduction as a result of a program (switch) decision.

Ageed, there is a constant (data-)communication ongoing in Autosense. But presumably at much lower data rate. Since “Speech in loud noise” needs to transmitt full audio.

For those who think they have high drain with Lumity, this is what I am seeing today.

7:30 am: Woke up and put in my Lumity hearing aids - both were at 100%
9:00 am - 11:30 am: 3 hours of streaming for work. Teams meetings, phone calls, etc.
11:30 am - Battery shows about 80%
11:40 am - Charging Lumity while showering for 20 minutes
Noon: Battery shows 92% after shower.
Noon to 4:00 pm: Took a few more calls for another hour of streaming (total for the day now 4 hours)
4:00 pm: Battery shows 71% on left (connection hearing aid) and 79% on right.

Estimated number of hours at 4 pm: that 71% of 18 hours = 13 hours with no additional streaming.
Estimated number of hours at 4 pm if I watch TV for 3 hours tonight: 50% of 18 hours = 9 hours.

So even with 3 hours of TV streaming after dinner, that 9 hour capacity should take me to approximately 1:00 am. Given I usually go to bed between 11:00 pm and midnight, I’m in good shape.

If you are streaming about the same or less than me and you can’t get through the day, there is definitely an issue with your phone or the apps you are using to stream.

Like I mentioned earlier, when you are not using a device to stream (i.e. TV, computer, etc), turn off Bluetooth on that device.

Jordan

3 Likes

I believe the connection to Android is Bluetooth. It uses Bluetooth LE (low energy) to an iPhone.

Hey Jordan,
I’m also keeping a daily track of my Lumity Life batteries - and it’s NOT looking good. I have two pairs of aids (NEWER, OLDER) that each came with a charging base (1, 2). So my multi-factorial issue is like orders of magnitude more confusing with aids and charging bases to asses.

The past 3-4 days - when this bizarre battery drain began out of nowhere! - I wrote:

SATURDAY
9am - Put NEWER pair of aids on that had charged up 12 hrs in charging base 2
12pm - Got first warning beep in LEFT aid, removed aid and put in OLDER aid that had charged up 12 hrs in base 1 and placed NEWER aids in charging base 1
4pm - Got first warning beep in replacement aids RIGHT aid, so put those in base 1 and finished up the day with one movie streamed using the OLDER aids.
9pm - Got first warning beep in OLDER aids, LEFT aid.
10pm - At day’s end, I had the OLDER aids in base 2 and the NEWER aids in base 1

SUNDAY
9am - Put NEWER pair of aids on that had charged up 12 hrs in charging base 1
1pm - Got first warning beep in RIGHT aid.
2pm - Removed NEWER aid and put in OLDER pair of aids that had charged up 12 hrs in base 2, BUT noticed the left aid was winking orange and not green; I put the dead pair of aids in charging base 2
8pm - Shortly into streaming a movie (with TV Connector) got first warning beep in the replacement aids LEFT aid, so I ended the day with the original pair of aids I’d put back in the #2 charger at 2pm. I made it till bedtime.
10pm - At day’s end, I had the NEWER pair of aids in base #2 and the OLDER pair of aids in base #1.

MONDAY - set out for 3 hr walk, so I packed my old Marvel battery aids for backup if needed
9am - Put in OLDER pair of aids that had charged up 12 hours in base #1
2pm - Got first warning beep in LEFT aid, so I put fresh batteries in my Marvel aids while at a restaurant, and wore them till I got back home
3:30pm - Put in NEWER pair of aids that had charged up 12+ hrs in base #2
I’ll see how long these last, but my guess is that by 8:30-9pm, they’ll also give the warning beep.

I get my first warning beep with 80% battery life left! By the time one of the aids in the pair is dead, BT says I have 70% battery life. How is that possible?

I just made an appt with my audi for Wed, so I’ll just bring in both aids and the 2 charging bases and go from there. I’ve pretty much tested each combination of aids and charging base, and the problem seems identical with both sets of Life aids no matter which base they’ve charged up in.

Needless to say, I’ll be wearing my reliable, battery Marvels for the appt. I hope to post whatever diagnosis comes back. Could they just need a firmware update? No idea.

It’s doubtful that both sets of hearing aids are bad. I’m thinking the charger bases are bad or need to be reset. There is an article on Phonak’s website talking about what to do if the charging base isn’t working.

Just to be clear to those reading these comments, I don’t have the Life version of Lumity (I have the Lumity Audeo L90-RT version) so my charger base is totally different (i.e. No battery inside the charger and uses metal contacts to charge vs inductive charging.

Jordan

1 Like

What a stinking mess!!

HM! I had not even thought of changing the adapters that came with these charging bases. It would be a coincidence for sure if both adapters failed at the same time about 4 days ago, tho.

1 Like

@1Bluejay: WOW, is all I can say to you Phonaq Lumify owners who will go to these lengths and put up with these things just to use these chubby little beanies that aren’t even waterproof!

I have no such issues with my genuine Oticon brand More1s HAs, and I am hearing just fine, (eh?).

Zebras, do you (or anyone here) have any idea why I notice that in one pair of Lumity Life aids the LEFT aid loses its charge way faster than the right aid, but in my other pair of Lumity Life aids it’s the RIGHT aid that loses its charge before the left one.

Does an audi program one of the aids as the “master”?

@1Bluejay: I believe that I have read here that the answer to this question is yes.

1 Like

Correct. Default is the right hearing aid. I have mine set to the left hearing aid.

Jordan

1 Like

FYI. Phonak Audeo Life Hearing Aid Review | Rechargeable Waterproof Hearing Aid - YouTube

1 Like

@Sequoia_Woman: Sorry, I don’t “do” uTube", and especially not DrCliff uTube!. Really … I don’t. Neither do I “do” FaceBook.

I guess you could say that I’m in a state of “somewhat disbelief” that the Lumifys could perform well enough to transcend all the apparent negatives that I am reading here, on our site.

That is the Android 12 issue: one aid drains much faster than the other. It affected Paradise as well.

Also currently I’ve had my aids in for just over 13 hours and both are on 31%, not much streaming today though: about 2 hours