Receiver wire pain at contact point with top of ear

I have new aids and one side doesn’t seem to fit well yet (dome is coming out) so it could be that it’s moving too much. However, there’s also a pain point right where the receiver wire touches the top of the ear as it bends back to the hearing aid. I’m without an audiologist at the moment so I’m looking for a good temporary solution. (Any tips on finding a new one?) Its too uncomfortable to wear all day. The wires on each side are bent nearly identically when I compare them but I might have a slightly different shape to the ear tissue so something is getting irritated. I assume I may need some sort of protective material in the near term?

1 Like

I would think the wire was too short and you need a new receiver with a longer wire.

8 Likes

Wire is too short. Need to be replaced with a longer one. You can easily order them online instead of waiting for an audiologist. You could dab a bit of vaseline on it for now?

3 Likes

How can I be sure that’s the issue without a longer wire to test? It’s an Oticon size 2 currently. Are there measurement specs? The old links to the Oticon professional site don’t work. This process is not easy as a newbie stuck in an audiologist mess.

I wouldn’t get petroleum jelly anywhere near the hearing aid or receiver wire, but agree it’s likely due to a wire that’s too short.

2 Likes

Easy go to the audiologist and explain to the audiologist your symptoms

1 Like

Sure there is a tool for this.

Or print one off easily found on Google.

2 Likes

Using the Signia printable I could locate, I’m 2-3 on the side with pain and 3 on the side without pain. The instructions state to round up. I can’t find how Signia sizing compares to Oticon. On the HearSource printable I am a 1 and a 2. The dispensing audiologist did not measure me.

The shorter length ear is the one with pain suggesting it may not be the wire length being too short?

Your audiologist should have measured carefully. There are different receiver wire lengths.

Only where the forward helix part is, just a tiny bit should not cause any problems should it? But either way, the tube needs to be longer.

I had this problem as well. I used a product called “New Skin” to form a barrier between the wire and my ear. I am already using the largest receivers available but, over time, my ear finally adjusted to the contact.

2 Likes

Did you use the paint on version with the brush to put a dab on that spot? Did you have to apply it daily? For how long?

So what’s the real story… Why would anyone why would anyone live with pain or jury rig a pair or new aids?

1 Like

Yes. The paint on version! I just ran a nice bead over the impression that the wire was making in my ear! New Skin is great for covering minor cuts on your fingers where a bandage would be awkward. Unfortunately it has increased in price threefold since I started using it a few years ago.

Maybe a ribbon or some sort of fabric around that part of the wire where it is making contact? I would think if it was rather loosely wrapped, it would minimize contact.

1 Like

I’m testing a longer wire as many suggested. This causes the aid to sort of float above the crest of the ear. The aid then drops under its own weight to partially rest on the ear. Is that the correct fitment or does the floating mean it’s too long? Won’t the audio be worse as the high mic is now less open to the top and front of me?

Even with the longer wire I get some pain (perhaps it’s reduced) so I wonder if longer isn’t the solution?