Random question what do members do with their hearing aids during theme park days

As the title says what do members do with their hearing aids if they go to theme parks?

I know it’s an utterly rediculous question I adore theme parks but I haven’t gone to any in about 18 years. When I did go it was a family trip and my mum would hold them in her bag for certain rides I wanted to go on as she was unable to ride jolty rides due to a health issue she had.so she was my safe person for hearing aids. This comes from almost loosing one on the Aerosmith ride when I was 12 at Walt Disney world in Florida I had to hang onto it for dear life after it almost flew out my ear as the ride started so when I told my mum she said I’ll keep them when go on rollercoasters.

As a 39 year old I often wonder what the heck I would do now? A few friends keep asking me to go to a theme park the next state over. I’ve been hesitant as the idea of leaving them out all day for rollercoasters and rides means I won’t be able to hear them speak, hear announcements or attendees while walking or waiting around in lines, I toyed with the idea of having a fanny pack/waist bag but those are so cumbersome and I’m concerned even in a case bars and pressure might squish the hard case. Indiana/Ohio heat and humdity means I’d be a hot sweaty mess round my tummy if I went that route.

So what do other members do In This situation? I have a setup for swimming days which I’ve often left them in a car as we don’t go swimming often.

Are there any nifty clips, bands holders anyone uses so they can still ride with hearing aids?

I look forward to any insights

1 Like

While they probably won’t keep your hearing aids from flying out of your ears on a wild ride, there are LOTS of tethers with clips for sale that are specifically designed to prevent hearing aid loss. Search your fav online store for “hearing aid tether with clips”.

John L.

Thank you for the reply @gyropilot. They’ve been on my list for years, I’ve never lost a hearing aid yet but it may have to be a investment when I go.

@bluejay2025 that’s usually what I do for swimming days. But for the life of me I cannot remember if I took my hearing aids out for rides at alton tower in stoke on trent yet I went numerous times in my early 20s… I think they had places for guests to hang their bags up by the ride itself but I suspect I rode with them in as the moulds were a super tight fit so they stayed in perfectly as I’m sure I was chatting to both my brothers without issues on the rides.

I clearly remember Florida trips because we were overseas, the idea of 2 weeks with no aids and experiencing almost loosing them on a ride had me go NOPE I can’t wear them on American rollercoasters and my parents being careful always had me take them out after that experience.

It’s why I wondered what everyone does now vs me back then. If I didn’t look like a idiot I’d make a wierd mesh breathable head tie like the swim caps but that means more sweaty head moment…but I suffer shyness in public places sometimes so that idea seems a bit nutty I suspect when I finally go I’ll have to do a lockbox or just do the old fanny pack and grin and bare the silliness of it.

Other than going with a ‘Mark Knopfler’, if you’re genuinely worried about them taking a hammering, wouldn’t a micro ‘Peli’ case do the job. We use them for small tech/vehicle transponders while white-water kayaking.

I usually wear my “back up” set & fasten them to my earrings with a holster & chain from Deaf Metal. Being in Orlando, I’m more concerned about moisture than one falling off as the Deaf Metal set up is very secure. I keep a small waterproof case handy for that. I also use the Deaf Metal holster & chain for any situation where one falling off would be problematic - airplanes, concerts, etc - or just because I like the look. To be honest, I’d probably wear it all the time but the holster has to be removed for my HAs to fit in the charger.

1 Like

I take them off and put it in a safe place or just simply put them in my pocket…

2 Likes

If l take any of these rides, l always put my aids in my pocket and if it is an bte aid, l would unscrew the ear hook because such pressure on the pocket can break an plastic ear hook. Protect your aids in an sealed bag if taking water rides.

@Kim_in_Florida I had never heard of Deaf Metal before so just looked it up - Very cool! I love this idea!!

For me it’s snow field (vs theme park) & in that case due to cold, damp & sweat I usually just do without. But I did get a very sturdy hard case meant for airpods (or similar) that I’ve thrown in a 1/4 slim back pack. Pretty sure if it busted I’d be more concerned with medical bills.

1 Like