QuickSin - How have you dealt with this?

For those who have a high SNR loss, has anything helped you to hear conversations, in restaurants, outdoor windy days, large crowds in meeting hall.

My SNR loss is 12 and for 3 1/2 years I’ve worn Phonak Marvel 70s. I also paired this with a Roger Select In microphone, which helps in restaurants.

This past weekend I attended a memorial that was held in a gymnasium. I struggled to hear a lot of conversation, even though I fiddled with the settings on my Phonak app. Since I was moving about from group to group, I am wondering if I should have worn the Roger Select In on a lanyard around my neck.

Dr. Cliff provided a grat explanation of QuickSIN in this video ==> How Well Should You Hear In Background Noise? – Speech-In-Noise Hearing Test (QuickSIN) - YouTube

1 Like

Thanks for posting the link on SIN! I was prompted to dig out my recent audigram and see I busted the scale at worse than >15dB - no surprise.

Comprehending speech in a gymnasium has to be up there with THE WORST POSSIBLE acoustic surroundings to hear in! Ye gods, I can imagine the reverb, reflection, just cacophony of NOISE bouncing from hard wood floors to hard walls, glass windows, etc.

I’m guessing that wearing the Roger Select around your neck COULD have helped. I don’t own one, but it seems that anything to bring hearing as close to streaming right into the ears would be the best solution. I’ve read about other brands of aids that have Zoom Speech or comparable settings for comprehending speech in LOUD noise, but that is the Holy Grail for all of us with hearing loss who wear aids.

3 Likes