Quick Com by AVR Programmer

Hi all,
Does anyone know if a Quick Com programmer will work with Genie 2 software??
Would like to try my hand at tweaking my OPN-1s
It is an older serial model mfg by AVR.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Of course not.

Click on my Avatar and then click the link within;

After you arrive look at the second paragraph for Specific Guides to programming specific hearing aids: and then find Oticon Opn.

Thanks for the reply.
How about the original Noalink.Noahlink%20Pic
Your instructions don’t seem to mention it unless I am missing it.

Thanks again.
Mike

That’s not Noalink or even Noahlink, it’s NOAHlink. See Noah, NOAHlink, or Noahlink Wireless.

Maybe it’s not mentioned where you want it to be mentioned. If I mention this old junk with each specific hearing aid guide then it will become very redundant;

I guess I did miss it, sorry.
Just trying to save a few $$$ if I could.
I spent about $500.00 on Seimens ConnexxLink wireless link stuff a few years ago and trying to avoid some spending.
Should have bought the Hi-Pro back then I guess.
Now I have the OPNs

Live and learn.

Thanks again

Opn’s can be programmed with Noahlink Wireless which is way cool and convenient. But if you need to apply Firmware updates to your Opn’s, then (at this point in time) you need a mini Pro/Hi Pro with cables and flex strips in order to apply the firmware updates. If you have access to an Audi to apply Firmware updates (for Free) then you can use just the Noahlink Wireless (which is currently around $250).

Thanks,
I am fortunate that my insurance still covers HAs every 3 years, so I do have an Audi for the OPNs.
She just upgraded firmware last week, and she used what looked like the NOHALink.
That’s why I was looking around for one and asking about it here.

I was a GE technician my entire career so I am a fix it kind of guy, especially old “Junk”

Planning for the near future a bit when Medicare kicks in and i’m no longer covered by insurance.

Thanks again

NOAHlink (not NOHAlink) :wink:, although it can work like a mini Pro/Hi Pro has special/different short cables that you are not likely to easily obtain;

Look, it only has three wires, not 4 wires like a normal CS44 cable. Stay away from this old obsolete junk.

More details; you can click an image to enlarge;

@pvc At the risk of you continuing to not think very highly of me…the guy is trying to save money. If that thing would work and the other bits aren’t too expensive then why not. I know you have your thing about “old junk”, but old junk can still work.
He has even already learned his lesson of buying something proprietary but if he can save a few bucks then if it works then have at it.
I agree, the more universally compatible minipro/hipro are the better option (if not the wireless options) but if older stuff can work and it’s cheaper then…

I’m not talking to just one person.

No, NOAHlink uses the same cables as HI-PRO. The 3-pin cables (Oticon 2 and NOAHlink 8) are used to program older Oticon hearing aids. Newer Oticon aids use the 4-pin cable (Oticon 3). And NOAHlink is not obsolete–it’s still perfectly usable and 4 times faster than HI-PRO USB.

1 Like

Thank you rasmus_braun.
I hope that clears things up for you @michael.letizia.

Thanks @rasmus_braun for the oticon#2 cable information.

I use the term obsolete old junk for emphasis. What I actually mean is;
Do yourself a favor and stay away from this legacy fitting device.

RTM, it uses batteries for pete’s sake, either one alkaline AA (R6) 1.5V or a a NiMH battery. The latter takes 13 – 15 hours to charge so you should charge it overnight in the cradle. Better hope it’s not an old rechargeable, they tend to fade.

Be aware that bad things can happen if your battery power fails during a Firmware update. It may be possible to recover. But it also could require sending your hearing aid(s) to the manufacturer for factory repair. This would negate all your savings and then some.

My opinion has not changed that DIYers should stay away from this legacy fitting device that I call obsolete old junk.

Hey Folks,
Thanks for all the comments, I didn’t mean to create a commotion.

About 50 years ago on the back of a hot rod was the saying:
“The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys”
HOW TRUE!!!

This is likely more about my toys than minimal economic necessity.
In the end i will likely hook up with a Hi-Pro/MiniPro.
Maybe one of the old Serial Hi-Pros:grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning:

Either way, I picked up the AVR QuickCom bundled with CS44 cables and Ministrips for cheep.
So far no luck, but not sure if it is the RS232 to USB conversion cable/settings or the QuickCom or something else.

The box lights up and blinks when detecting in Genie2 but ends up Not Detected.
Any idea if there should be software for the QuickCom, not finding anything on the net.

Thanks
Mike

Apparently the NOAHlink is not actually obsolete. Seems it’s still usable equipment with current products. My definition of obsolete is that you can’t find anything to use something with. The world has passed it by. Dictionary definition seems to cover what pvc defines as obsolete. Fine.
But this is still a usable product apparently.

As for your QuickCom…dunno. My guess is that it’s proprietary to Siemens/Sivantos. It seems that they all made their own programming boxes but that the HIPro allowed universal connectivity.

Hmmm,
Tried it with Connexx 7 no good either.
I think there is some software for the QuickCom that I am lacking.

Still playing with my toy.

Mike

You can’t just choose any fitting device to work with your fitting software and/or hearing aids. Genie 2 will only work with the following fitting devices as per;
Genie 2 / Help / Programming Device:

• HI-PRO
  • NOAHlink
  • Noahlink Wireless
  • EXPRESSlink
  • FittingLINK 3.0

Furthermore; even when you have a fitting device that is accepted by the fitting software it may not apply to all hearing aid models. For example, you can’t use a wireless fitting device on non-wireless hearing aid. Also, some hearing aids don’t have cable/wired connections so you can’t use the wired programming devices (mini Pro/Hi Pro) on those.