Question for those who are taking a diuretic or know side effects of it

After my first perfusion of the inner ear on my left ear, my MD at Shea Clinic put me on Lasix/Furosemide. That was in 2007. I’m still taking it today. My hearing has gotten much worse in both ears and now I’m starting to wonder if some of that is caused from the furosemide, since this is one of the side effects. I no longer go to Shea Clinic but I am now in search of a new clinic.

Does anyone have any knowledge/experience with taking furosemide long term?

My wife wants me to try a natural water pill, She’s a big believer in that stuff.

Tell your wife to read some actual science. Not hocus pocus conspiracy theory facebook remedies.
Or have her direct us all to the scientific clinically proven results of taking said “natural water pill”.
Water…seriously.

Z10user2, Natural diuretic vs. prescription “man made” It helps release water from body. The pill isn’t ‘water’.

1 Like

Ok we got that out of the way, does anyone have anything on my question?

Water says homeopathy to me. “Big believer in that stuff” says not scientifically proven. Rings all kinds of bells in my head (over and above the tinnitus :slight_smile: )

I have mild high blood pressure and I only take a diuretic, once a day. My doctor also recommends, grapefruit, and cabbage as a big help with water retiation. For me it is staying away from as much salt as I possibly can.

1 Like

I also have mild high bp. I take a low dose bp med and the diuretic. I have been reducing my salt intake since 2007. Lately I have increased the fruit, which is not easy for me, I’m a meat and potatoes guy.

1 Like

I grew up on a farm, and it was for us whatever was available at that time. I love a full rounded diet, fruits, veggies, and any type of meat, domestic or wild. I even still enjoy a little homebrew every now and then.

1 Like

Furosemide can definitely cause hearing loss, but it’s my understanding is that it’s more typical when given intravenously and in high doses (especially if given too quickly) In my experience (retired RN who worked with heart patients), furosemide is most often used in patients who have a history of congestive heart failure. Otherwise a thiazide diurietic like hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) would be more likely to be used if treating hypertension. I think it’s worth talking to your physician about. DASH diet (Dietary Approach to Stop Hypertension) is very helpful in treating high blood pressure. Briefly it emphasizes low sodium and lots of fruits and vegetables. Edit: Realize my reference to “it’s” is vague. I was suggesting talking to your physician about the whole issue, not about switching to HCTZ.

6 Likes

It’s a well known fact that Ototoxic drugs can and do cause Hearing loss. You will find a whole list of ototoxic drugs in google. But generally speaking you need to have high doses of the drugs to cause hearing loss. Please get advise from your pharmacist or doctor before you do anything about modifying your medication.

1 Like

I am a heart patient and previously took lasix for 23 yrs because of my CHF. Was always taken in combination with a potassium pill. If my potassium would get out of wack my bi v device would fire. The lasix was also not great for my kidneys. Not fun. In 2016 I was taken off of lasix because I no longer needed it for my heart. In 2017 I developed Menieres and they wanted to put me back on lasix. I refused because my kidneys had finally rebounded from 23 yrs of lasix use and I didn’t want to go there again. Now my hearing is shot but at least my kidneys are working great. I guess my point is I took lasix for 23 yrs with no hearing problems. I came off of it and within a year I had Menieres! Probably coincidence but it makes one wonder.

1 Like

That is an interesting coincidence! And yes, lasix can definitely cause kidney issues too. Everybody is different though. My 92 year old Mom takes lasix for her heart failure. Her kidney function was pretty bad for awhile, but has improved greatly. And yes, some people on lasix need extra potassium, but others don’t (like my Mom)

1 Like

Hi,

I’m a Pharmacist by training. Yes, furosemide is known to cause even permanent hearing loss. Please see:

https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-5512-8043/furosemide-oral/furosemide-oral/details

Other meds also have this unfortunate adverse reaction.

The question is WHY did your physician put you on furosemide in the first place? What condition(s) was he or she treating? There are many other diuretics or meds that treat the problems addressed by furosemide.

Have you discussed your hearing loss with whichever physician prescribes furosemide for you? Have you asked about alternative treatments? Do not ever be shy about asking: why one drug and not another? Are there any safer treatments for my condition?

Depending on your medical condition(s), I would not recommend ANY kind of diuretic therapy without discussing your options with the physician most familiar with your medical needs!

There are medical reasons to prefer one type of med over another.

I hope this helps and I hope your hearing returns!

2 Likes

He was trying to keep fluid from building back up in my inner ear.

I haven’t, I no longer go to Shea Clinic. I haven’t been able to get in to see an ENT because of the shutdown. I will be getting an appointment ASAP.

Thanks for your input!

You should see a physician in internal medicine who can sort out why you are on the frusemide and advise you on treatment. Stopping it suddenly could result in serious problems depending on why you are on it. Hearing loss has been associated especially with high doses given quickly or in combination with kidney failure.

2 Likes

Tim,

If you’ve been taking furosemide for 12-13 years, SOMEONE has been prescribing it for you. I’ve never heard of the Shea Clinic, so I asked Mr. Google (who knows everything except how to cure this virus). It is an ENT clinic. Do you have a regular physician? If so, have you asked him or her; or is that who referred you to this clinic?

I am not familiar with fluid in the inner ear or the medical conditions that lead up to it. However, IF a simple diuretic is what is needed, there are many from which to choose.

As I was taught 50 years ago, there is NO such thing as a SAFE drug! I was taking Ciprofloxacin for an intestinal infection and I developed severe tinnitus in ONE ear. The antibiotic can adversely affect the auditory nerve. Thankfully, it disappeared after a month or two.

After I stopped going to Shea my physician keep my prescription going. I quit Shea because it seemed they had done all they could do for me. It was a 180 mile round trip to there clinic and always a two/three hour wait.

Tim,

At the risk of beating the proverbial dead horse, call your primary physician and ask WHY is he or she continuing the furosemide! I am wondering if you have medical conditions OTHER THAN fluid in your inner ear requiring potent diuresis.

1 Like

That’s not the kind of fluid he’s talking about.

1 Like

As noted in an earlier message, I am now familiar with the condition. Do you know the medical term for it so I can learn?