Question about Oticon TV adapter

I have some problems on the TV adapter when connecting them through RCA to my computer. When I turn the volume on my computer to a relatively low point, the adapter turns into the “No RCA/Audio input” status, and soon changes to “Power on, not streaming” as it seems to receive no signal. However, the adapter is actually receiving signals and also streaming to my HA until the status changes to “Power on, not streaming”.

It’s quite bugging me cause I use discord quite often and it just stop streaming when no one is chatting. I’ve tried to play a low volume BGM to bypass the auto stop streaming thing, unfortunately it doesn’t do.

Is there any ways to turn off the automatic stop thing or suggestions to solve the problem?

You would have to check with your audiologist to see if there is a threshold that has to be met or set

This happens to me, too. It’s just trying to be smart when it doesn’t detect an audio level above a certain volume threshold, then it assumes that there’s no audio going on, so it simply goes into standby mode after a while. Unfortunately, Oticon in trying to be smart, is not smart enough to give you an option to just disable this “smart” and leave the adapter on regardless of whether there’s audio input or not.

There’s no way that I know of to disable this “smart” feature. One option would be to keep the volume of the device driving the TV Adapter loud enough above the standby threshold so that most of the content’s passages do trigger the TV Adapter often enough to prevent it from going into standby. If this makes the incoming volume too hot/loud, then reduce the volume on your HA’s when in the TV Adapter mode to adjust. If you don’t want to have to manually adjust each time you connect, then have your HCP go into the TV ADAPTER/EDUMIC page as seen in the screenshot below and adjust the TV Adapter/EduMic Loudness accordingly.

2 Likes

I doubt you want to spend another $300 or so on an Oticon Edumic, but it has a headphone jack that can connect to your computer and avoids this issue. The ConnectClip is another option with added bonus of wireless mic as well.

2 Likes

I use.the connect clip.and love it for.my computer, and fire tablet

I have both devices, and they work great.

1 Like

What does “M relative to TV Adapter” mean and do?

I believe the m is for microphones so it would be the volume levels of the hearing aids microphones relative to the volume of the streaming volume of the TV adapter

1 Like

Ok, thanks for that. Although, I’m not clear about its purpose. :thinking:

When watching TV the TV adapter as far as the way I use it streams mostly the speakers to my aids and my ads through the microphones give me the background noise, and I can adjust the volume levels of my aids and TV for the correct balance I need

Thx for the quick reply. So it’s essentially an equalizer between the streamed sound and external sound. That’s very interesting. I’ve used the Signia tv adapter which AFAICT is identical to the Oticon; I wasn’t aware of such a setting in the Signia fitting software. But I definitely was adjusting the streamer volume to blend in the higher-quality sound from my soundbar for a richer listening experience, with the soundbar volume still set at my wife’s preference.

1 Like

You can also if you want mute the hearing aid microphones to just hear the TV, or mute the TV speakers if you wish.

1 Like