Question about domes for Jabra Enhance Pro

Hello. A question. I’m wearing hearing aids near 6 years now, just started my second pair from Costco, the Jabra Enhance Pro after Benafon Acrivas. I’m into my second week. I was provided the recommended double domes. From the start, the left one seemed a bit tight. I called near a week later, to see if I could experiment with smaller ones, and was encouraged to come in. I did come in, and the tech said I was wearing the smallest recommended ones for my ears, to keep the sound in (not open, which I think I was wearing with the Acrivas). Then, he started considering options, and did go to a single dome for my left ear. It has removed the irritation problem.

So, re qualitative vs quantitative outcome…with the double dome in my left ear, my ear did adjust, and I could go back to it. The single dome provides no conflict of any kind, but is there any quantitative diminution of the quality of my hearing assist, in going to the single from the double dome. On what basis should I decide to stay with the single dome, or return to the double dome. The whole issue concerning hearing improvement is somewhat gray…but I clearly overall hear better with hearing aids.

Any advice is welcome!

Ira Z.

Posting your audiogram would help, but as long as you’re getting enough gain and not having feedback issues, should be fine. Double domes would allow more gain without getting feedback and provide more low frequency gain.

I went to the molds due to feedback with my left ear as it got worse. The real difference I found with the different domes was just the fit. Never heard much difference between them although I guess it would depend on your loss…

MDB, thanks, I have now posted my audiogram; hope that helps confirm or review further…

I find it really odd that they would put you in double domes with that loss. Single domes seem much more appropriate.

1 Like

Gosh, my fitter just went right to that. Could it have been something about the aid itself…the Jabra…(I think I thought that was it), that motivated the direction to the double domes? What later seemed to be the remediation by a second technician…I had thought…might have been thought to be a slightly inferior match to the hearing loss. Sounds like…independent of the aid itself…it’s your thought that a single dome would be appropriate. I hear that’s what you’re saying. The second tech did even suggest that, if the single dome on the left was ok, there could be a reason to go to single for both. I gather you’re affirming that. Any reason (returning to your most recent comment) to have a double dome on either ear?

I have the same aids and pretty sure you don’t need double domes. In fact, you may even be able to use open domes.
At my loss double domes don’t cut it. I have feedback if close to any wall, door, or electrical appliances. I have custom domes on order.
Costco is lame in that they don’t trust us to be able to change domes by ourselves. My Costco will not give me different domes to trial. They want me to return to the store just for domes replacement which is ridiculously stupid. So I just buy them on ebay

Two things in reply:
a) Too bad there’s considerable variation in understanding about the impact /influence of use of domes.
b) I’d been surprised there’s been relatively little conversation (unless I’ve missed it from my searching) on the Jabras. My first and long term Costco tech had pretty high confidence these were the most techically advantaged that they had to offer. Another tech allowed the current Kirkland provided a greater potentially flexibility, if my hearing degraded…but based on the stability of my hearing loss, and the potential for both enhanced technology (like ultrafocus), and the option for batteries (I prefer to keep these for a number of years, and worries for the build in battery degradation), the choice of the Jabras seemed kind of clear. But. like I said…there’s just not a lot of talk about these, from what I can tell…here.

These Jabra’s are the same aids as the ReSound One, you can search either.
I have never notice any “sound difference” when comparing single power domes to double power domes.
Open domes may allow for some lower freq’s to be heard, but are more prone to feedback than closed power domes.
There are a few Jabra Enhance Pro posts here.
My Costco HIS claimed the exact opposite of yours. She said she only fits the KS10 to mild loss and has to many returns with challenging audiograms or severe to profound loss. She claimed the Jabra’s were the only RIC aid she would recommend, otherwise she is recommending BTE aids.
I don’t have much confidence in Costco advise, but that my own opinion based on my local store

My left ear isn’t bad, but I was wearing a double dome in that ear, as well as the right, until I recently got custom molds. I don’t think it was a bad thing to fit you with double domes; nothing wrong with trying to preclude feedback, as long as you’re comfortable and not overly occluded from wearing them.

Here’s the market share of the major HA companies as of 2019:

GN ReSound brands (ReSound, Jabra, some others) do seem to be mentioned on this forum less than might be expected based on their market share. Maybe that’s because their connectivity and app (and accessories, from what I’ve read) are fairly trouble-free, and their hearing aid functionality (noise reduction and such) is good. I was wearing ReSound Quattros until I got Whisper aids almost three months ago.

1 Like

I suspect the reason behind the double dome with that loss is feedback with the m&rie. Since the mic is in the ear feedback is much more of an issue. I have a similar loss, slightly less, and I with single domes I could not use the m&rie. Wound up with molds instead of power domes for comfort mostly.

1 Like

You are right,I don’t hear much about these Jabra hearing aids on this site,I have these and I do not care for these aids and I am running out of time for a refund. I keep hoping that I can get some feed back here,but,no luck.

Did you return your Jabra’s? I ask because a had issues and returned mine, but got an amazing deal on some Resound One’s for a ridiculous price so decided to try them along with self programming. It’s all in the programming, because now I really like them and cant live without them. I also got custome domes which made all the difference in the world.

I have not yet,you said that you returned yours and got Resound One’s,but the Jabra’s from my understanding is Resounds One’s!! I can’t self program anyway,I have a flip cell,Maybe I should ask about the custome domes,are the custome domes all of the way in the ear?

The programming isn’t done by your phone, it is done by computer with an interface that talks to your HAs, like your hcp did in fitting your HAs up for you in the beginning.

WH

I don’t think the interface by computer can talk to my HA how would that work and what kind of connection that would run from my computer to my HA?

You should take a browse over in the DIY category on these forums. The type of connection may be wireless or via a wire, depending on the age and type of HAs you have.

DIY Category

WH

Resound Ones are only via Noahlink Wireless?

1 Like

I have the new Jabra and not to happy with them,but,thanks for your reply,

That makes me think,why is there not much talk on here about these Jabra hearing aids?