Price on Oticon OPN

My comments on were reflective of OPN 1 vs all other hearing devices I’ve tested or previously used. Yes, for me they are that much better in all area’s of performance. Its there a way to determine the production date or sequence from the serial number or reference numbers on the box? I will also have him check to insure the latest Firmware is active on the devices. One other item of note the speakers the p100’s for both ears.

The 4 programs were set up up by my Audi and were available and used with “both” the OPN 1 and the OPN 3’s with essentially the same settings. I distinctly and immediately notice the differences between the programs as I switch between them. I renamed each as Normal, Restaurant, Quiet, Music and of course the microphone selection also shows on the selection menu. I don’t find the Quiet setting useful in limited testing and may change to something else like Auditorium or a Windy configuration if that can be done.

Yes he ran the feedback analyzer and they seem to fit snugger in his office then after wearing them for 2 days. We look at the dome size again next visit and be sure he has enabled the feedback control. I posted my audiogram to my signature line via setting assuming it will now appear on all my posts.

I think you’ll probably have to have your audi ask Oticon about the production date based on the serial numbers if you want to know.

I assume that once connected to the Genie 2 software, it can tell you the firmware version of your demo OPN.

That’s nice that you get the size 100 receivers. I only get size 85 receivers. While they work OK for my loss, size 100 would have been nice to have some room to grow. I’m curious if you can tell me how many volume clicks from your default volume level before you reach the max volume? Mine is only 4 clicks away from the max. I think another poster (1BlueJay) said hers is only 2 clicks away from the max. I assume that the number of clicks to the max depends on how much headroom is left on the receiver from the default. I wonder if your size 100 receiver has more clicks until the max volume or not.

Would love to hear your comment after you’re done with your Opn1 trial period, specifically on the differences between the Opn3 and the Opn1, and whether you decide to stick with the Opn3, or spring a bit more money for the Opn1.

I’ve got 4 clicks up to max volume and 8 clicks down to minimum volume in all 4 programs.

With the aids at beginning setting when first turned on, I can scroll up 5 clicks to the max and then going down is 4 clicks to the base setting sound again.
Going down, I have 9 clicks to get to the minimum setting, and then 8 clicks to go back up to the base sound again.

Just thought I’d post another data point from a poster on this forum who shared their experience with me via PM. They were able to get a pair of Oticon OPN1 for $4K through an online provider (hearingrevolution.com) that has a local audiologist affiliate, so they could see an audi face-to-face and get fitted locally for what seems to be a very reasonable price, especially with the local support. They were very happy with the whole experience.

So I think we now have a few data points of $4K for a pair of Oticon OPN1s with fitting through a local audi. Compared to $3,800 through BuyHear.com with remote fitting. I think the extra $200 for a local fitting is definitely worth the cost for folks who prefer a face to face experience.

Plus Oticon offers an additional $50 direct rebate via their website.

Thanks for sharing this. I went on their website and searched for “rebate” but it came up empty. I didn’t see any obvious rebate link at their home page to click on. Can you put up a link on here for us to follow? Thanks again!

http://t.oticon.com/acton/media/25950/opn-trial-h21

I contacted my local Aud. this AM and asked her about the Free Trial and the cost. She said they didn’t offer the Free Trial and also said this was they’re pricing.
There are three levels of technology: the medium for $3850; premium for $4850 and elite for $5850.

That’s interesting as the levels are known as OPN 1 (highest) OPN 2 (mid level) and OPN 3 (entry level).

As a data point I was quoted $6995 by one local Audi and bought them from another local Audi for $4665 after comparing price locally and checking with my Insurance company for an approved provider. A few phone calls saved me $2300 so my advice would be shop around or check with Oticon for their approved providers in your area and ask them all for a quote then decide.

Hi…again, thanks for your help.
Well, received a new pair of Alta pros…they just replaced instead of repaired. The first thing I noticed was they were so much louder than the opn1s even using the exact same program. Well have had the alta pros back and they are fine. Much, much better than the first pair. Too bad I had to suggest sending the original pair back and dealing with them for 2 years. I have one more year on the current warranty… then I will decide whether to upgrade. I must say, though, that the opn1s were like hearing before hearing loss. (sigh)

Glad to hear that you got brand new Alta pros as replacement. The loudness difference may be due to many factors like dome or mold fittings or programming, etc. but it can easily compensated for if it’s simply a volume difference by adjusting the default volume in the program. The more important thing is the clarity, not the volume. Especially clarity in speech.

FactoryDirectHearing.com is another online source beside BuyHear.com. They seem to be a little cheaper than BuyHear.com even. The OPN1 is $100 less, the OPN2 and 3 are $112 less.

One of our poster, Bob H, reported buying the Signia Primax 7 from them and got great service from them in doing his own programming on it.

I am currently wearing Resound Linx( the original or early version). I tried Oticon opn for a week and returned them because I did not notice any difference.

Super helpful thread.

1 Can either of these online sellers provide custom molds with the new 105db receivers? How does the process work for taking impressions?

2 Have people been able to find the fittinglink online to help do DIY or self programming?

If I remember correctly, one of our forum members who bought from BuyHear.com (abarsanti) mentioned that he’s been considering getting custom molds for the OPN1 he bought from them. You may want to PM him to see if he proceeded with it. Or simply call them up. I hear they’re quite responsive and helpful.

As for the FittingLink 3.0, I heard about a few forum members buying them from aurem.dk in Denmark for around $300 and have been successful in DIY programming. However, I think you can also buy the general wired type and it should work just as well.

But if you buy from the online places and require more adjustment after the initial one, they basically send you a FittingLink 3.0 to your house so they can do remote adjustment for you. After you’re done, you can return it to them. So this way you can experiment using it for your own programming before deciding to buy your own FittingLink module. But beware that Firmware updates need to be done on the wired programmer, however.

Thanks for the as always helpful response! I’ve reached out to abarsanti for more information. Also, FYI to all, as per one audiologist, Oticon is running a promotion in May “Better Hearing and Speech month Special”. However, the prices of BuyHear and FactoryHearingDirect are still much cheaper than the $5-6K price quoted by an audiologist.

Can you reference me to the wired programmer options and firmware issues as opposed to the Fitting Link 3.0?

Check out the DIY section of the forum to learn more about self programming. Here’s one of the links: http://www.hearingaidforums.com/showthread.php?21831-Hearing-Aid-Self-Programming-Help-for-Self-Programmers

Hi,

According to my audiologist, the new Oticon OPN PP will cost approximately £2,000 per aid. So £4,000 for a pair. They have now been released and my audiologist will be ordering a pair in for me to have a look in a couple of weeks.

Obviously the technology has been successful enough that Oticon have released a Power version, but I am interested to see how they will work for those like myself with a profound hearing loss and have been deaf since birth. I am sure I will not recognise many, many sounds that the OPNs will pick up around me so I fear it may be quite a difficult adjustment for me…

Seriously? They aren’t going to be magic!