Preventing domes from coming off: a glue that works?

Since most new users have RIC aids, around here, reference to custom molda is much more common than references to ITC and CIC which are always custom.

One advantage of custom molds is they usually have an embedded pull wire used for removing them from the ear.

1 Like

@prodigyplace: Thanks for covering my 6 on the “custom” usage, here in the Forum.

1 Like

Agree. However, I found out that earmolds “eat” too much gain. When I perform the real ear measurement, it shows that more gain is required but sometime more gain is not available, or it distorts the sound. Earmolds are also very visible to others, and the receivers are sticking out. Modern technology of some hearing aids let use the domes with no feedback issues (no cutting the gain off).

Many thanks for the suggestions – and thanks to all others who’ve responded. Much appreciated!

Hamjor1, you wrote “the audi may have a better solution like stepping up one size in the dome, making it unlikely to get stuck in the ear canal even if it comes off.” I’d like to understand this: How would using a larger diameter dome make it less likely to get stuck in the ear canal? (Seems paradoxical, but maybe it’s true.)

Have you ever tried using rubber cement for this purpose yourself? – I’m wondering if it would stick to the silicon dome material.

I checked with my audiologist about the dome that came off: It’s made by Phonak and should be compatible.

I’m still hoping to find a more secure way of using domes. I see the advantages of custom molds, but don’t think my injured ear canal would tolerate one.

Thanks videomix for the heads-up about the entry-level Phonak Marvel aids that I’m currently trying. The audi I’m seeing was honest about their limitations – such as not working satisfactorily when there’s background noise. That seemed OK with me, since I’m normally in a quiet environment.

But what she didn’t tell me is that these Marvel aids (at least so far – and I’ve already had 2 out of the 3 allowed free fittings/adjustments) are really intolerable when it comes to my amateur playing guitar or flute. The aids actually screech painfully at certain frequencies (C# and Eflat octave 5, C and C# octave 6, G and G# octave 6, and other notes).

Are Phonak Marvels an impossible choice for someone who plays a musical instrument?

Widex Moment will be your best choice.

There are musicians on the forum who are fine with the Marvels. You might not be able to get them fully to your liking with 1 more free fitting. For playing guitar you’ll likely want to have a special music program setup and it would be helpful to bring your guitar to the fitting if your audiologist is willing.

2 Likes

A larger dome can still come off the aid, but is less likely to come off lodged midway down your ear canal, because the dome’s widest point is wider than your ear canal. If a larger dome does come off the aid in your ear, it will be closer to the opening of the canal, so it wouldn’t be sitting as deep in your ear canal, and you can probably pull it out with your fingers.

The sound may be too occluded for you with a larger dome, though, or you may not like the feeling of fullness, or the audiologist may say, no, this is too big for your ear. But it’s a quick thing to try in the audiologist’s office.

And again, if the dome is matched and installed correctly on a newer aid, and you check to be sure it’s really on, it should stay put on the aid when you gently pull the aid off your ear. (Don’t yank it out.)

@videomix: May I ask how a Registered Provider who, supposedly, has some professional qualifications, can recommend one brand over another on an anonymous Forum, without even the benefit of a posted audiogram, and without ever having examined the patient in a clinical setting?

It seems rather presumptuous and - to be blunt - unethical to me.

[@Owl1: Have you considered posting your audiogram so that the bona fide professionals who frequent the Forum, as well as knowledgeable Members, can help you better?]

3 Likes

I asked about domes being same brand as aids. But even that isn’t enough to guarantee compatibility. For example, ReSound changed their receiver design not long ago, and introduced new domes at the same time. Old domes are black, new ones are gray. When I put a black dome on a new receiver (i.e. mismatch), I can pull it off by pulling on the rim of the dome. That’s equivalent to a dome sticking to your ear, and a pull on the receiver wire leaving the dome behind. But when I put a gray dome on a new receiver (match), the dome doesn’t come off by pulling its rim, not easily anyway. I have to grasp it by the base to get it off.

You might still want to explore the custom mold. I use full skeleton molds and they only just enter the ear canal. They go nowhere near the ear drum. Also, you will never have to worry about the receiver separating again.
Also please not domes go way further in than my custom mold. Do yourself a favor and try them. They are more secure and more comfortable. I don’t even notice them.
my daily 2 cents worth,
Dan

4 Likes

Does that not indicate the need for a higher power receiver?

Medically it would be considered malpractice unless you are a medical insurance provider.

1 Like

I was going to dive in here too. The statement makes no sense: unless you don’t ‘get’ that the incoming low frequency gain needs to be compensated (in the SW) for if you seal the canal.

Usually, the more occlusion, the more appreciable LF gain there is in the canal.

The only other way I could see LF gain disappearing, is if in a huge canal, the receiver is set nearer the entrance in a really short mould, vs the much deeper/more flexible positioning of a double dome with the wire really tight around the top tragus notch.

4 Likes

I bow to your expertise, experience, and caring.

2 Likes

We used to have another guy on here like that; ZCT - Everything was Starkey. Even when Starkey were clearly not the best answer: Starkey was still the best answer.

I’m not sure where Widex is at the minute, but currently the recommendation comes across like recommending a Saab in the early 2000s.

5 Likes

From my recollection he was personally helpful to me at the time but forum trolls drove him away. He was skilled enough to train providers. He would not have had this issue with custom molds.

1 Like

Thanks MDB for telling me this about Marvels. I was getting discouraged with them. Since I’ve discovered what notes on guitar make my aids screech so badly, I’ll take my tuner (which I can set so it produces the specific notes) with me to my audi appt. tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion!

Thanks hamjor1, very helpful. I’ll talk with my audi about stepping up the size of my domes at my appointment tomorrow!

And after having a dome come off so soon, I’m definitely following your advice to check before inserting the domes in my ear canals to make sure the domes are really on well!

Thanks, Dan. I’ll remember your suggestion. Thanks for your thoughtfulness, much appreciated.