Preventing domes from coming off: a glue that works?

There are musicians on the forum who are fine with the Marvels. You might not be able to get them fully to your liking with 1 more free fitting. For playing guitar you’ll likely want to have a special music program setup and it would be helpful to bring your guitar to the fitting if your audiologist is willing.

2 Likes

A larger dome can still come off the aid, but is less likely to come off lodged midway down your ear canal, because the dome’s widest point is wider than your ear canal. If a larger dome does come off the aid in your ear, it will be closer to the opening of the canal, so it wouldn’t be sitting as deep in your ear canal, and you can probably pull it out with your fingers.

The sound may be too occluded for you with a larger dome, though, or you may not like the feeling of fullness, or the audiologist may say, no, this is too big for your ear. But it’s a quick thing to try in the audiologist’s office.

And again, if the dome is matched and installed correctly on a newer aid, and you check to be sure it’s really on, it should stay put on the aid when you gently pull the aid off your ear. (Don’t yank it out.)

@videomix: May I ask how a Registered Provider who, supposedly, has some professional qualifications, can recommend one brand over another on an anonymous Forum, without even the benefit of a posted audiogram, and without ever having examined the patient in a clinical setting?

It seems rather presumptuous and - to be blunt - unethical to me.

[@Owl1: Have you considered posting your audiogram so that the bona fide professionals who frequent the Forum, as well as knowledgeable Members, can help you better?]

3 Likes

I asked about domes being same brand as aids. But even that isn’t enough to guarantee compatibility. For example, ReSound changed their receiver design not long ago, and introduced new domes at the same time. Old domes are black, new ones are gray. When I put a black dome on a new receiver (i.e. mismatch), I can pull it off by pulling on the rim of the dome. That’s equivalent to a dome sticking to your ear, and a pull on the receiver wire leaving the dome behind. But when I put a gray dome on a new receiver (match), the dome doesn’t come off by pulling its rim, not easily anyway. I have to grasp it by the base to get it off.

You might still want to explore the custom mold. I use full skeleton molds and they only just enter the ear canal. They go nowhere near the ear drum. Also, you will never have to worry about the receiver separating again.
Also please not domes go way further in than my custom mold. Do yourself a favor and try them. They are more secure and more comfortable. I don’t even notice them.
my daily 2 cents worth,
Dan

4 Likes

Does that not indicate the need for a higher power receiver?

Medically it would be considered malpractice unless you are a medical insurance provider.

1 Like

I was going to dive in here too. The statement makes no sense: unless you don’t ‘get’ that the incoming low frequency gain needs to be compensated (in the SW) for if you seal the canal.

Usually, the more occlusion, the more appreciable LF gain there is in the canal.

The only other way I could see LF gain disappearing, is if in a huge canal, the receiver is set nearer the entrance in a really short mould, vs the much deeper/more flexible positioning of a double dome with the wire really tight around the top tragus notch.

4 Likes

I bow to your expertise, experience, and caring.

2 Likes

We used to have another guy on here like that; ZCT - Everything was Starkey. Even when Starkey were clearly not the best answer: Starkey was still the best answer.

I’m not sure where Widex is at the minute, but currently the recommendation comes across like recommending a Saab in the early 2000s.

5 Likes

From my recollection he was personally helpful to me at the time but forum trolls drove him away. He was skilled enough to train providers. He would not have had this issue with custom molds.

1 Like

Thanks MDB for telling me this about Marvels. I was getting discouraged with them. Since I’ve discovered what notes on guitar make my aids screech so badly, I’ll take my tuner (which I can set so it produces the specific notes) with me to my audi appt. tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion!

Thanks hamjor1, very helpful. I’ll talk with my audi about stepping up the size of my domes at my appointment tomorrow!

And after having a dome come off so soon, I’m definitely following your advice to check before inserting the domes in my ear canals to make sure the domes are really on well!

Thanks, Dan. I’ll remember your suggestion. Thanks for your thoughtfulness, much appreciated.

Nope. We choose the receivers based on the thresholds, not on earmolds.

No don’t do it! I’ve found that just about anything outside of Nature put in the ear canal can cause irritation. I don’t know what kind of injury your ear canal had, but be VERY careful about trying to glue a tip onto the receiver. Even that may fall off.

I’ve had both the tiny wax guard AND a silicone tip come off in my ear canal on different occasions years apart. The wax guard literally worked its way to the doorway about 6 mos after it fell off in my ear. My audi plucked it out with tweezers.

I was responsible for my silicone tip coming off in my ear canal cuz I hadn’t seated it on the tip of the receiver. Now, when I change the silicone tips, I put my dang READING glasses on, hold the tip nice and firm, and make sure it’s seated onto the receiver before putting my aids in.

It kinda took my breath away when the tip was stuck in the doorway of my ear canal, but I just took a few deep breaths and squeezed my ear with one hand, then plucked the tip out with the other.

As to the PAIN of music, get the Music program set up as others have recommended. It is a game changer for those who love music: rock, country, classical, jazz - you get the true dynamic range as best as the aids can deliver. I even put my aids into the Music program if the Noise Management is too aggressive. It kind of turns the aids into “DUMB ears” that don’t mess with volume no matter whether you’re in wind, at a concert, or even a noisy place.

1 Like

Thanks 1Bluejay for the advice. I’m now very careful before putting the domes in my ears; I give a few test tugs to make sure they’re attached well to the receivers.

I’ve gotten pretty disgusted with the low-level Marvel G30s and so am now trying out some More 1 HAs. Oticon has its own “MyMusic” program which I’ve only tried once so far while playing classical guitar. I haven’t made up my mind yet whether to stay with the More 1s, and I obviously need to try them some more while playing guitar.

It is good to try out various brands to see which sound quality is best for you. I have the Marvel M90s, but that’s about as poweful as you can get for that model. Glad you’re keeping those domes ON. That’s a skill you’ll use even with the Oticons! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fully featured is what you mean, the power output is the same from M30 to M90, I think going from the Marvel 30’s to More 1 should be a massive difference for @Owl1
(well if you believe what those Morons are saying :smiley:)

2 Likes

That’s Oticonians to you.