Pressure in ear canal from hearing aids

There isn’t anything I’ve found that eliminates the pressure while retaining audible value. Other than taking them out and throwing them across the room

Phonak Naida Paradise are the first hearing aids to have the double-receiver in the BTE shell. P-UP aids have an MPO of 141 db and 130 db in the P-PR aids.
Roger devices have the speaker.

So my guess is I got screwed by unwanted technology again

Okay, but you can do something that eliminates the pressure while NOT retaining audible value then. What? If you split it into two channels, do you have to reduce the highs or the lows?

to be honest, I can’t imagine anything having to do with hearing aids–not the molds–that would create such intolerable pressure on the ear canal. Especially since jte has turned down the volume on his new power aids and still experiences the problem. How could aids, by themselves, create such massive pressure in the ear canals?

“venting” is a term applicable to molds. it’[s also something people do with their emotions There’s a lot of hurling and cursing and trashing and…venting…in the this thread.

I have eustachian tube dysfunction. I’[m well aware of pressure issues. I understand that jte only has his issues with his new aids. The old ones work fine. Hmmmm…

all I know is that no new aids pump pressure into the ear canal. Unwanted new technology isn’t the culprit here.

Well Jeffrey, what is your opinion then??? I’m all ears, or lack of.

Honestly, I cannot tell. My ears are trashed. I have to wear the aids for like 4 hours for this pressure to accumulate, then once it does I cannot make adjustments without being disoriented. I’ll program them the night before work, then I wear them to work and they sound great, and then by lunch time my head is just compounding. So at lunch break I’ll try to make adjustments on my laptop but the damage is done. So I take them out. Go home and relax and when my head is somewhat functional I’ll make another change. I’ve made changes on my phone with the app trying to locate it within the lows/mids/highs but I haven’t been able to locate it that way. I’ll try doing the 10 band or 3 band EQ on the fine tuning in target and haven’t been able to locate anything that way.

ok. what you can do is schedule a virtual consultation with Dr. Cliff. go to their website at appliedhearingaz.com/virtual-consultation. The cost is 250 dollars for up to 45 minutes.

I called one of his suggested clinicians in my region yesterday and requested an appointment online. So between the two, I was planning on hopefully hearing back early this week. But that’s not a bad idea either.

You said you wear the same aids? Is your slope traditional or reverse like mine?

I’m looking at some data on the P70-UP, it appears they are more powerful and have more technology than the P50-UP. It would only make sense that I really only need the P50-UP aids considering my old aids would be the equivalent, no?

So, yeah, I might be suggesting some after-hours and weekend experiments. Can you feel it coming on sooner and stop wear early, or is it all of a sudden after 4 hours? If it’s all of a sudden after 4 hours followed by 10 days in recovery, that’s hard. But if you can wear them turned off, can you wear them turned on but with nearly no gain? If you are experimenting, you want to work big changes first and then narrow down from there. For example, can you wear them for longer if you crank ALL the gain (and MPO) down until things are completely inaudible? If yes, split the frequencies in two: Can you wear them longer if you just turn the high frequencies back up and leave the lows down? If yes, split the lows in two: Can you turn the top end back up? And so on. These hearing aids don’t DO this typically. There has to be a way in which they are interacting with your hearing unusually, and there must be a way to probe those limits.

Do you get dizzy? Dizziness is valuable information.

No, never dizzy. Just massive headaches, compounding painful pressure, inner ear pain from excessive volume, migraines as a result of this compounding and ongoing problem. I really think I just need a smaller aid after looking at the data. If I’m understanding the data correctly the P50-UP would be more appropriate to match my old Naida Q50-UP. Makes the most logical sense. They don’t make it easy for the consumer to compare tho.

my hearing loss is very profound. An audiologist said that l would be better off with the P50-UP and she thought l would not be able to tell the difference between the P50-UP and the P90-UP aids. l choose to buy the P70-UP for better technologies and more fitting options. An few months later, l will be trialing the P90-UP aids and the Oticon Xceeds 1s or wait for the replacements of the Xceeds this year. Before l purchased the P70-UPs, l was wearing used V90-SP aids for six months. l noticed the differences between the V90 and the P70 aids. I also had one P30-UP aid for my left training ear and sold it to an client.
ln addition you have a reverse slope hearing loss which is differcult to treat. You need to find an audiologist that has more experience treating reverse slope hearing loss. Having more gain in the low frequencies will wipeout some of the high frequency sounds. Any time l get new ear molds, l do a feedback measurement test with the current aids.

I think Jeffrey is right, these aids are louder and have more technology. I never woulda thunk less was more. Yeah I think I need to get the smaller aid first, then proceed with the motions again.

Idk what it is but when import the settings from the old aids, the gains are like +10db hotter than from the aids they were imported from. So I knock down the mpo’s and gains to match and they are still way hot. But the more I knock down the mpo/gains the sound quality deteriorates, substantially. I don’t think they are in their happy harmonics. I feel like they need to run real hot to sound real good or all this technology Jeffrey likes is just wasted. It seems to me I’m below the sweet spot.

The Naida P30-UP and the P70-UP have the same gain of 84 and 141 MPO. Only the technologies are different. The Naida M50-SP are 81 gain and 139 MPO. Your older aids were 82 gain and 142 MPO.
l think the M50-SP would be better and have less technologies and lower gain than the P70-UP aids.
Have you tried doing a new settings instead of importing from your older aids?

Yes, I did the audio direct, then tried all the formulas. They all run really hot, then when I knock down the gains the quality almost becomes mechanical and I can hear what almost sounds like a tinnitus sound or a hissing sound of unused power or background noise. When I put my old aids in, there’s not that noise.

Is there no such thing as the P50-UP? I can’t find clear models and specs on the Phonak website

It’s quite possible that less IS more for you: that is, the power aids are giving you headaches and other issues. Were your old aids not giving you enough performance? Maybe you need to revert to this sort of aid. You’ve clearly stated that you much prefer this aid, in terms of not having side effects. It’[s comfortable and you can wear it for long hours. That’s a start. How was it NOT working for you that you wanted a new aid? Maybe put those two things together–needing an aid that is comfortable but that addresses your hearing needs better. Identify those needs, and see what comes up.

I have a power aid in my right ear. It really does amplify well, but my audi programmed it to not overwhelm me sensorially.

1 Like

In Target software, under Hearing aids,
there is P50-UP in the Naida P tap.
For the M50-SP in the Naida M tap.
Click on the More information tab and there are the Open datasheet and product info tap.

Jeffrey, the old aids are great, but however hearing aids have a shelf life. I’m trying to transition to new aids before the shelf life expires on my existing aids. Phonak hasn’t serviced my old aids in over two years now. They are like cell phones, eventually they are out of date, I know that’s really weird, right??? I’d rather not wait until they are dead and be stuck in the water without something that works Jeffrey

I didn’t even think to check on target. Your opinion you sounded like the M50-SP is a better fit for me? Do you think that’s a more suitable aid for my reverse slope? Or do you think that’s a technology more similar to my old aids? I’m just curious because when I contact my Audi I just want to know what to ask for otherwise it seems he’ll just stick me with whatever he pleases.