Pressure in ear canal from hearing aids

l too have the P70-UP aids and entered your audiogram to my Target program. Your audiologist fitted you with the wrong hearing aids. The best fitted aids for your hearing loss are the Naida M70-SP. Your P70-UP aids clip off some of the high frequency range.

I don’t need highs, if you notice I’m actually shifting my highs down. I need lows, but not this much lows.

Your audiologist can reduce the loudness for low sounds and or reduce some of the gains for G50,G65,G80 on the low freqs. Or try changing
the fitting formula to NAL-NL 2 Tonal and adjust the low freq gains to an bit higher.

I understand the word ‘pressure’ immediately. In my case I divide the hearing world into three parts. The impairment characteristics (your hearing test), the physical aid and mold and me physically. I usually don’t have the pressure issue but when I do, it the third piece that is key. By that I mean that it may be sinus and some other physical condition of me that is driving the train. Resolve that and the pressure issue evaporates. Of course an incorrectly sized mold causes pain but that is reasonably obvious.

1 Like

So how do I explain the old hearing aids acting just fine, then when use the new ones and only the new ones I experience the pressure? I did see the ENT prior to getting the new aids as required by the Audi

I did make adjustments on the low gains and the pressure was still present. I have only tried APD II and dsl formulas. I can try the other formula you mention

what make and model was your older hearing aids?
You old aids had one receiver. The P70-UP aids l have like your new ones have two receivers. Maybe
having the additional receiver is causing your pressure issues.
Can you post the pics of your old and current earmolds?

The old ones are Phonak Naida Q50-UP

What do you mean by saying that the Naida P-70s have two receivers? These are BTE hearing aids so the receivers are in the body of the hearing aid, not in the ear. Hearing aid terminology is confusing. The “receivers” would be called speakers by most people and then there are the “receivers” that are used by the Roger System. I have no idea what’s going on, but I thought Neville’s advice made the most sense of seeing if the problems exists with the hearing aids turned off. It really sounds like an issue with the molds.

Phonak data sheet calls them as ‘double-receivers.’
Some people call them as speakers or receivers.

Like I said, the issue is not the molds, i am using the same molds from my old hearing aids that I have worn for numerous years prior to getting the new aids. I don’t have this issue with the same molds on my old aids. The molds are not the issue. I’ve worn earmolds since I was 2 years old. It’s not the molds. It’s the hearing aids.

Can you wear your old ear moulds on your new hearing aids?

l think it might be the ear molds. You stated that they are few years old. Your ear changes every year so you should be getting new ear molds every two years. The new aids have more power and better technologies than your old aids so it could be an fitting software issue and your molds are a bit loose. Have you tried getting new molds that are hard shell? Perhaps you have an ear skin reaction to the silicone molds.

I am currently wearing my old ear molds. I am wearing them because they are not vented. So I have my old molds that are not vented. I have the molds that came with new aids that are vented. And I also have brand new molds from Costco that are not vented because I did not like my vented molds.

So I have 3 pairs of molds, all 3 pairs of molds, your pick, I experience tremendous pressure. Mechanical pressure from the new aids.

That being said, if I put any of the 3 pairs of molds on the old aids, I do not experience any pressure. The vented molds I get lots of feedback. But zero pressure.

The problem is not the molds, it’s the hearing aids. Old molds generally shrink and do not seat well anymore.

Everything works fine with old aids. The issue is only with new aids. My ears feel like they could explode. I know what an ear mold issue feels like, and it’s not like an explosion

Oh, yeah, that is weird. And it’s definitely not a problem with how the hearing aid fits differently on the back of the ear?

Are there any audio manipulations that you have found that HAVE reduced the pain (or make it worse)? Even if they make the hearing aids sound junky. In particular, does adjusting the low frequency MPO impact it?

The new chips are actually really quiet. I wouldn’t worry much about audible chip noise with the UP.

Rereading Neville’s post I think I misunderstood. I think he was talking about fit of the hearing aids themselves, but I think he’s clarifying.

Thanks. I see that now. Interesting.