Please help select a model for a first-time user with sensorineural hearing loss and tinnitus

My loss is less severe than Ram’s and Zebras, so I can’t really give any advice. I’m lucky that my left ear still has pretty good function.
I’d guess that Ram has sensorineural loss, but who knows? This is a good thing to know for us folks who suffer from hearing loss. what type of loss do I have? Again, folks with profound or medium conductive loss can explore BAHA style aids–they can be very good!!

2 Likes

I much prefer Phonak @Ram, IMO Oticon Xceed is “old hat”, it’s been approximately 5 years since Oticon released an ultra power, or indeed a super power aid, so basically, again IMO, if you have a severe/profound loss, Phonak Naida Lumity is the only game in town, yes Xceeds will probably work for you, likewise a lot of other manufacturers, but if you want all the bells and whistles, in conjunction with the best Bluetooth connectivity, Phonak Naida Lumity is my preferred choice… Over the years, I have only ever knowingly used 2 hearing aid brands, Phonak & Oticon, both are excellent hearing aid manufacturers, but I just prefer Phonak, it’s my personal preference, they work well for me, as do Oticon work well for there many users, only you can decide your best option, or it might obviously come down to financial constraints, but the cheapest option, is not always the best option… Good luck in your choice… Cheers Kev :wink:

1 Like

Looking at your audiogram you have one frequency dipping into profound. The rest are moderate or severe.
The SP aids should do you well. Preferably the Phonak Nadia SP with the 13 battery. It will be much more comfortable that the much larger UP aids.

1 Like

@Ram - Oticon Xceed is old technology but quite suitable for severe/profound hearing loss. Price is reasonable for old technology. Phonak Naida Lumity is the only game in town (@kevels55). More expensive. Not sure of the pricing in India. Check it out and let us know and then we look at the option. If you are a 1st time user, suggest seeing the audiologist for fine tuning (3- 6 times per year).
Good Luck!

2 Likes

Would the ReSound Nexia High Power BTE 88 be appropriate as well? They are less than a year old. To bad there is no Costco in India, there are the Jabra variants there now as well.

1 Like

Hey @jeffrey, Thank you for the suggestion. My hearing loss is sensorineural

1 Like

Hello Dan, I believe India :india: are major manufacturers for Phonak, but I haven’t read up about it, so please don’t quote me :smile: I have seen a few sellers from India on eBay, far cheaper than we pay, in the west, so I am assuming the Naida Lumity is much cheaper there? Especially the 30 or 50 versions… I am acutely aware, the incomes in India are generally much lower, it takes me, around 2 years to save up for my new aids, but I am quite happy to do this, it gets me the latest technology every 2 or 3 years, apart from Battery & Power woodworking tools, hearing aids are my only major indulgence, I like to hear the best, I can… As soon as I buy a new set of aids, I start saving for the next set, I am on a fixed income (retired) All my Roger Assistive Listening Devices, are second hand, I would not be able to afford them otherwise, some of which, when new, would cost more than a new set of hearing aids, for instance, the twin Table Mic 2! Mind you, some of my power tools, would cost more than a new set of Naida 90 Lumity’s, but again, I buy a lot of these second hand, it’s an obsession!!! Cheers Kev :wink:

@kevels55 In India, the cost for the Naida L50-UP version is approximately $1500-1800 each, and the L70 version is $2000-2500 each.

2 Likes

Around £1300 @Ram, here in the UK via eBay for a new pair of L30’s, I can’t seem to find the Indian sellers, perhaps Phonak put a stop to them? I was most fortunate, I got my Phonak Naida 90 UP BTE’s with a 30% discount, from Boots Hearing Care, they asked me to do an assessment with my existing Phonak Naida Paradise 90 UP BTE’s v The Naida Lumitys, they gave me them free upfront, fully fitted with custom moulds, for approximately a month to 6 week’s, for trial & testing, around November last year, in order to compare the 2 different aids, after the comparison, they offered me the aids, at 30% off, so I got approximately £1000 off the asking price, they actually threw in an extra set of custom moulds, as the first set of moulds, where not without their problems, I paid just over £2000 for my L90’s, and my first fit, was my last fit, no further adjustments were necessary… I use the NAL NL2 fitting formula, compression is switched on, NAL NL2 seems to work very well for me. I also have Noahlink Wireless & Target fitting software, but, I have no intention of adjusting these aids, if it works well, then I leave well alone! Cheers Kev :grin:

1 Like

You should consider buying the Trial version of Lumity L90. Pair of Naida Lumity UP BTE 675 BTE Silver Color Upgradeable Trial Hearing Aids | eBay
You need Noahlink Wireless and Phonak Target software to manually reset the trial period after 10 weeks.

3 Likes

Yeah @hearing-love_loss, that thought did cross my mind, trial aids are substantially cheaper, if you have Noahlink Wireless, to manually reset the trial period? Cheers Kev :wink:

1 Like

According to the seller, THIS IS NOT A TRIAL DEVICES !
YES, YOU CAN SEE IT SAYS TRIAL ON IT BUT THESE ARE MANUFACTURE UPGRADED DEVICES AS A FULL VERSION FOREVER NOT FOR A TRIAL PERIOD. So You would not need the Noahlink Wireless and Phonak Target software to manually reset the trial period after 10 weeks.

1 Like

He’s talking crazy crap! Don’t believe everything you read on a eBay listing!
And you’d still need the Noahlink wireless to program them for any DIY projects.

The pr has 69db max gain. More than plenty for his loss.

1 Like

Ram, i have used Phonak Lumity R (the regular RIC device) with both Power receivers and UP receivers. The P has plenty of power with great sound. Its a little close to the limit for me, but it still sounds fine. My highest gain on my hearing aids is 49 and the receiver has a max of 57. For Phonak, its fine. For other brands the sound quality might start to drop off that close to the max.

So you could go with the RIC version, and go with either the P or the UP receivers, if you found a better deal on that combination.

Edit: You can also use frequency lowering, called Sound Recover for Phonak, to move sounds to a lower frequency. That could lower your need for power. It is part of the Phonak Target software used to set up Phonak hearing aids.

i can confirm that this ebay seller is legit and the Phonak Trials are behaving as expected , on january 2024 i made a purchase for this Naida Trials on ebay by this seller. The shipping were fast and package were secure and all went perfect.
Okay the descrition is bit suspicious, but i assume he want to obfuscate/hide that he selling trial devices

I check the empty boxes of the Naida P70 and not a word of India. This is the first time! In the eBay, there are some cheap Lumity Naida and some claimed to programmable. Always, buying online has to be careful. Even iPhone do mention assembled in China or whichever countries it assembles it. All these are marketing-sales and profitability.
One of new batteries on P70 and the next set of batteries on Xceed 1. As a severe/profound HL, it a bit difficult to make a comparison. One major difference is moisture.

1. P70 collect more moisture than Xceed & needs more air to blow dry or longer period in drier.
  2. As Xceed is older generation, needs to speak directly towards the iPhone. Connection with iPhone good. Naida P70 will sometime switch between iPhone speaker and HA connectivity.
  3. Xceed sound more mellow and Naida P70 is slightly sharper. P70 can hear rain drop and car warning sound and Xceed cannot.

Cheers & take care.

2 Likes

I have the P70-UP aids and yes it collects more moisture than the Xceeds because the P70 has dual receivers. I use a Redux hearing aid dryer to remove moisture completely. Cheaper hearing aid dryers use heat and the Redux home version dryer is the only device for home use that doesn’t use heat to remove moisture.

First of all, a big thank you to each one of you for your valuable suggestions. I really appreciate it. Without your advice, I’m sure I would have made a mistake.

Now, here’s an update: I have tried the Phonak Audeo L90 with a P Receiver, and it feels like heaven on earth. It has a more natural sound compared to other devices I have tried, and the cost is $3000 for a pair. I negotiated in multiple stores, and this is the best price I could get in India.

I also tried the BTE version of the L90, but it felt very loud, and I feel more comfortable with the L90 with the P Receiver. I did not try the L70 yet because it takes half an hour to try one machine, and the audiologist lost his patience.

Are there any other models I should try before I make a decision? Should I get the device with an earmold? I took the trial without an earmold.

Note: There are no trial units available in India. You have to decide within a few minutes, with a maximum trial time of 30-60 minutes.

@kevels55, @dankailo, @tenkan, @firenzel , @PaulC , @Raudrive , @hearing-love_loss, @jeffrey , @joesan

4 Likes

This is great news. So happy you found aids you like. The L70 and L90 are very similar. Pending on the price difference it’s up to you.
Congratulations

1 Like