Please help select a model for a first-time user with sensorineural hearing loss and tinnitus

I am a retired soldier in India, 48 years old, suffering from hearing loss, and in need of a hearing aid. I would appreciate your help in deciding which one I should choose. My audiologist suggested that I use either the Phonak Lumity L30-R or the BTE Lumity. Can someone please provide assistance? I am a first-time user.
Type of loss : sensorineural

Thank you in advance!

3 Likes

Hello Ram, welcome to the forum :slight_smile: I am not seeing any Audiogram in your images, well not one, that I am familiar with… A pure tone Audiogram, would be most helpful, like mines below, mines is severe/profound, it gives us mere mortals a better picture of your type of loss… Good luck in your endeavors for better hearing, cheers Kev

4 Likes

Thank you for your reply. I have uploaded the audiogram. Please suggest which model suits me and what things I need to check. Does the number of channels matter, and should I look for a directional change feature?

1 Like

I would go with the Naida Lumity UP hearing aids with that hearing loss.

The Naida is also easier to maintain rather then the Audeo.

4 Likes

Hi, I’m currently using a pair of Phonak Audeo Lumity L30R’s. I’ve been using them for almost 8 months now. They were recommended by my audiologist. But my loss is mild to moderate, whereas your’s appears to be more severe. So my guess would be to go with the BTE model, as suggested by @Zebras. However, I’m new to this too, and far from an expert. So I hope one of the audiologists (or other experienced members) of the forum will provide a reply soon.
(The Lumity L30R’s are rechargeable hearing aids, whereas the BTE model (Naida UP) uses disposable batteries.)

3 Likes

Today, I visited an audiologist, and they suggested the Widex Moment 110 and the Oticon Zircon 2. With the Oticon, the voice was clear, but there was some contact noise. With the Widex Moment, the voice was a bit on the heavy side, and the noise was much worse compared to the Oticon Zircon 2. Can an expert help me decide which one will be suitable for me? The company name and model would help me a lot.

1 Like

Thank you for taking the time to respond @Heyjo, @Zebras

1 Like

Thank you @Ram :grin: Perhaps @Neville or @Um_bongo might give there professional opinions, as to what they might recommend? Good Luck with your eventual choice…Cheers Kev :wink:

1 Like

Thank you for your prompt response @kevels55 . I would appreciate it if people could suggest something within a couple of days. @Neville , @Um_bongo

1 Like

Post your audogram so we could offer some advice, I’d try Costco before committing if possible, only you can be sure which is suitable after trialing, just about any HAs are suitable for most people, really comes down to which you prefer after using.

It’s posted. He has a Severe to Profound loss.

2 Likes

Widex, Oticon, and Phonak are all solid manufacturers, so I would not lose any sleep over that aspect. Does number of channels matter? Short answer yes, as that allows for finer gain adjustments. Long answer, more channels does not necessarily mean more benefit, particularly when you are looking at premium level technology versus advanced i.e. “one step down” technology. That being said, the models you have mentioned are the basic technology levels of those manufacturers. However, I tend to be pretty optimistic about basic technology so long as the fitting is right. That being said, just considering software, the Widex Moment 110 has six fitting bands, Oticon Zircon 2 has twelve, and the Phonak Lumity L30 has twelve.

Phonak’s Naida devices, available as L30, are their power behind-the-ear devices.
The rechargeable PR or size 13-battery SP should suffice. The fitting range of the SP skews more severe than the PR, so I might steer that way.

3 Likes

Try the Phonak Naida L30 SP it uses size 13 battery, and is a bit smaler than Naida L30 UP which uses bigger size 675 battery.

Phonak have universal bluetooth and connect seamles with every available bluetooth devices, whereas Oticon , Signa, Widex , ReSound and others are only connecting to certain High-end Android smartphones, and Linux via ASHA,
or via MFI on Apple iphone/iPad/ and newer Apple Mcbooks.

4 Likes

Thanks I missed it, I was looking for it by his username.

2 Likes

RAM: you have pretty severe to profound loss. I’m not an audiologist. However, I’d suggest a Behind the Ear aid over a RIC aid. Let’s define terms here, as I wear RIC aids and always thought they were Behind The Ear aids. Not so, apparently! BTE aids seem capable of providing more power to aids for more profound loss. And then, you clearly need Ultra Power receivers; so called UP receivers. More accomplished audis may correct me on some or all of this.
Any major brand that can provide the above parameters will well for you. The next steps are getting the aids adjusted correctly. This isn’t like getting a new pair of glasses, where the lenses will immediately work. No. adjustments to the aids, after you get them, will make a world of difference in terms of how they perform. It takes a bit of patience.

And then, finally: what type of loss do you have, Conductive or Sensironeural? Your audi will know this. With Conductive loss, another type of aid can make a huge difference: a Bone Assisted Hearing Aid.

3 Likes

Based on the suggestions provided by folks in this forum and my budget constraints, I am planning to choose one of the following hearing aids:

• Phonak Naida L PR/UP 30/50
  • Oticon Xceed BTE Super Power / Oticon Xceed BTE Ultra Power 2 UP
  • Widex Moment 110/220

Please let me know if you think I should consider a different option or if you have a preference among these. @jeffrey, @tenkan , @Zebras , @kevels55 , @firenzel , @Heyjo

1 Like

I like Widex, but given that loss I’d probably steer towards the Naida L SP or the Xceed SP first.

4 Likes

I have severe hearing loss and have worn Phonak, Widex and Oticon in that order over the last 15 years. In general I found Widex and Oticon better for voice clarity. I prefer Oticon because the sound is natural whereas Widex is very loud, but not ac clear for speech in noise.

2 Likes

This is exactly how I feel. Somehow, I was inclined towards Widex because its voice is a bit louder (I heard the voice with that much clarity after 2/3 years), but I also feel that the Oticon voice is a bit softer and clearer compared to Widex. Thank you for sharing your experience and suggestion, @joesan

1 Like

I’ve got both Phonak Naida P70 UP and Oticon Xceed 1 UP.

Oticon sounds way more natural to me and I don’t feel separated from the hearing world as I can hear more with my Oticon.

4 Likes