Phonak TV Connector

How about an audio output on the actual soundbar? If it even has one? It might have the same timing as what comes out of the speakers. Does the soundbar have either a digital or analog audio output?

What kind of input goes to the soundbar from the Mac Mini?

And lastly, where do you currently have the TV connector hooked into the system that gives you the delay/echo effect?

Turns out the back of the speaker (attached to our TV) has the following lineup: A/C in, LAN, WPS, Audio IN jack, and two USB ports. As best as I can follow the incredible spaghetti junction behind our TV, this speaker plugs into the same Mac mini as my TV streamer. I guess the Mac mini is our “media hub” with all its ports and these devices plugged into it.

I “get” that the Mac mini is an essential component for our video display, but umph! The audio clearly is not optimal for folks like me who require a TV streamer. I honestly don’t think there’s a better setup as long as we use the speaker hooked up to our TV.

As y’know, TV speakers are CRAP, usually placed in a TV to point down at the floor or at the wall behind the dang TV. :grimacing:

Hey! I just had a BRAIN FART. I’m going to ask my audi to turn off ALL ambient noise in my streaming program. I forgot that I’d initially set things up that way, then thought I could have ambient noise low enough to not interfere but to let me also talk to folks in the room.

AIN’T WORTH IT! They can wait! The only way I’ll get rid of the echo factor for good is tune out all audio from all sources and directions except for that which my TV streamer sends to my aids.

I have an app’t for a week from today to just that - AND to have Acoustic Phone DuoPhone set up as a program. WooOoOooOOO!

That is a pretty good strategy.

The other thing you might try is to “Y” off the Audio-In jack on the soundbar. You can get a little Y-cable on Amazon; just have to know what ends to get. If the input is 3.5mm headphone jack style, then you just need a Y-cable with 2 females and 1 male, and then use the 3.5-to-3.5 cable that came with the TV Connector. It did have a 3.5-to-3.5, right?

If you do this you’ll probably be able to keep your ambient sound on. I often run this way and I find that the TV connector has very little latency so there’s no echo effect for me listening both through the Marvels and through ambient sound. For me, if fills out the low frequencies.

I’m using the Phonak TV Connector with my new computer, an Asus ZenBook Pro Duo running the latest version of Windows 10 Pro. Every time the TV Connector disconnects it plays a musical sound. The connect/disconnect happens quite frequently and the sound is rather annoying. Anyone else using their TV Connector with their computer? Have you found a way to eliminate the disconnect sound?

@TraderGary I too use the TV Connector with my Win 10 computer and get the same musical sound about 45 seconds after audio has stopped. My understanding is it is working as intended and there is no adjustment.

An interesting thing I have noted: When the TVC is oriented with the indicator light pointing toward me, it will connect to my aids about 5 seconds after audio starts. If the indicator light is pointing away from me, it takes about 15 seconds to connect. Has anyone else noticed this? The user guide seems to suggest the opposite orientation.

2 Likes

It’s definitely the audio content loss auto-off. Not so good for regular use of the computer.

A Roger device or (cough) Bluetooth would probably be better in this application, notwithstanding all the gladhanding of the TV Connector a number of us have been engaged in.

1 Like

Yes, Bluetooth Classic works nicely with my new Asus ZenBook Pro Duo with almost no perceptible lag. With the Marvel 2.0 update the PITA is gone!

My Pixel 3 XL phone uses Bluetooth 5.0. My new computer uses Bluetooth 5.0 (and WiFi 6). It’s a damn shame that Phonak used old technology Bluetooth 4.2 for the Marvels instead of 5.0 (which of course would have been backwardly compatible if needed).

Ow. I will share this with my Tech Kahuna hubs. It does sound like a “best case” scenario to have the soundbar, streaming and ambient sound all at once without any irritating echo-effect.

THANKS for this work-around. :grin:

This constant chiming in my KS9s in my ears the entire time my 2nd TV Connector is connected to my laptop is driving me crazy, and I can’t stop it! It seems ridiculous that this is not a user-controlled function and that I will have to take it back to Costco Hearing to get it somehow adjusted to stop this! I bought this 2nd one specifically for my laptop and now it is unusable for that purpose.
Who would even want an “optional setting” that makes the Connector constantly chime non-stop in the user’s ears?
(For someone who may not have been following this portion of the thread, I purchased this 2nd unit specifically for my laptop because using its built-in Bluetooth to send to my KS9s was burning through hearing aid batteries almost daily!)

Mine only chimes after I listen to something and the session ends. I’m now expecting it, but there’s no question that it’s irritating. I can’t imagine the designers wouldn’t have a software switch to turn the damn chime OFF!!!

Right! I don’t need a chime - this (2nd) Connector is only inches away from my ears! Now I guess I have no other option but to traipse back to the store, and I have a hunch that my fitter will be just as baffled as I am.

And if your fitter is baffled, ask if they could call the manufacturer, Phonak, to see if they have a solution! I have an appointment with my audiologist on Dec 13 and I’ll do the same. I have Marvel M90-R’s. Good Grief. I just looked at my calendar. It’s Friday the 13th! An omen?

1 Like

Good idea! Thanks, Gary!

1 Like

Obviously, or not, this is not a feature. This is some kind of make/break connection bug.

I get this every once in a while with my single TV connector on the TV. It must have to do with some kind of confusion with the connection, because I seem get it when I’ve been connecting and disconnecting numerous times to the TV connector. I have “rebooted” the Marvels and that resolved it for me.

So I would power cycle the TV connector and power cycle the HAs and see if that helps.

1 Like

Thank you very much, haggis! Yes, that eliminated the c-o-n-s-t-a-n-t “dinging” during listening.
But it continues to constantly ding non-stop when I am not listening to any sound, speech or music, so I will look forward to an opportunity to my next hearing adjustment appointment to get the dinging turned off completely.
In the meantime, I am trying to constantly turn the Connector on and off accordingly, which is a serious challenge considering that I am pressing a button which seems to require something between a light and hard press, with no physical feedback. I don’t know whether it is supposedly heat-sensitive like an elevator call button or what. Just that teeny tiny light on the thin edge, whose view is mostly blocked by the plugs connecting it to power and laptop audio.

Nate,

I wouldn’t look to trying to disable the chime to remedy the constant chiming. There is something going wrong. It is not proper function.

So I would try to swap out the TV connector and see if a different one has the same problem.

If a different TV Connector gives you the same problem, I would ask your audi to test it with a trial HA. If it works with a different HA but gives constant chimes when yours is on, then you have a malfunctioning HA.

Again, it is not normal operation to constantly chime when no audio is streaming through the TV connector. Even if you turn off the chime, it will still be malfunctioning.

2 Likes

haggis,
Good advice. I will try these steps in order.
Thanks!

1 Like

I’ve heard of delays in shipping these but was talking to audiologist today and he said they’d been discontinued because of parts shortages. Have no idea if that’s true or not. It is a great device

I enquired about the TV connector when at Costco a couple of weeks ago, the audiologist told me they will be coming back into stock, once the chip shortage is resolved. No mention of them being discontinued.