Phonak Spice

Over 10 years of HOH, all previous aids were costly via private audiologists, but I just qualified to receive a pair of Ambra MicroP BTEs from the VA at no charge, HOWEVER:

Each VA visit is with a different audie, and so far no one has seen these aids before so it’s always an Easter Egg Hunt. That’s especially so with the ICOM.

Perhaps someone here can help me with the following.

1. Is SoundRecover incorporated into these instruments? What should I tell the audie-of-the-day if I’d like to try it?

2. In the ICOM, how can I implement the double-tap to trigger REDIAL? It’s described in the User Guide, which refers me to the audie, but of course they have no idea.

3. In the ICOM, how can I conveniently switch from CELLPHONE BLUETOOTH to TELEVISION BLUETOOTH (I have a separate TV Bluetooth transmitter). Right now, I have to turn OFF the phone!

4. Is there a Customer Service resource at Phonak, or is user support strictly through the dispensing channel?

I like the Ambra aids a lot, but suspect that my experience could be immensely more satisfying…

Thanks!!

Notaguru,
Here is what I think I know:

1. Sound recover IS incorporated into the available functions of the aids. It needs to be turned on and adjusted to your loss. It takes sounds from the selected frequency upward and compress the frequency heard in the aid. Mine are set to take frequencies above 5.6 kHz and compress 1.8 to 1. Which means specifically that 1800 Hertz of spectrum above 5.6 would be heard within 1000 Hertz of output.

2. I haven’t any experience with the double-tap. Sorry.

3. The software of the iCom allows multiple connections. The phone remains top priority so you should be able to listen to the TV, but if the phone rings, it should “cut in” until the conversation is completed and when you hang up it should release from the phone and go back to the TV. Since I listen to TV acoustically, I can’t vouch for this personally.

4. The contract between Phonak and the VA requires that you only correspond with the VA. I tried to contact Phonak on a question and was referred back to my VA audi. and he was notified of my transgression. Fortunately my audi. is very good and he was gentle with me.

I don’t understand why they keep switching audis on you unless this is their scheme for getting you the quickest app’t. If you want to see the same person and build on their experience, etc. you may have to wait longer to see them again. When I saw my audi in February he was already booking appt’s in April. I see him tomorrow and get new Full shell In The Ear Ambras.

Good luck to you.

Regards,
TerryB

TerryB said “3. The software of the iCom allows multiple connections. The phone remains top priority”

Yes - I discovered that. But I have not found a way to switch from PHONE to OTHER PAIRED BT, and between multiple BT inputs. Have you?

And thank you for the comprehensive response. I’ll run over there today to see if anyone can spell AMBRA. I am particularly interested in the Sound Recover function, because amplification alone does not help much with discrimination. And if there is a Book of Revelations for the audiologist, perhaps they’ll allow me a glance at that holy document.

Again, I’m grateful for the information. These aids are definitely a step up from the ReSound Canta 7 they replace, but I’m definitely not using their full benefit.

You should be able to pair both pieces at the same time. The phone should be connected, but not monopolizing the iCom until a call arrives. I have my PC and phone connected at the same time.

Me, too. And my television audio, via a Bluetooth transmitter. The iCom automatically switches to phone when a call comes in, but how do I tell it to switch between the laptop and the TV? This afternoon I’m visiting the VA and hope to get an answer… of course, if there is one I’ll post it here.

The iCom can connect to multiple devices at the same time. My understanding is that the phone always takes priority. So…if you are watching TV or listening to sound from the computer and a call comes in, the iCom will switch to the phone call. After the call is done, the iCom will switch back to the last thing you were listening to.

The only way I know of to switch between devices is via the myPilot remote. When you are using the iCom, the myPilot display shows you what device the iCom is connected to and I think you can cycle between multiple devices. I don’t personally find the need to do this very often. Typical scenario is that you are watching TV and a call comes in. The TV is interrupted while you take the call. After the call, the iCom automatically switches back to the TV.

Where I run into issues is when I have both my iPhone and bluetooth enabled house phone both connected to the iCom at the same time. Since both are telephones, the iCom sometimes gets mixed up. When both phones are connected and you are talking on one of the phones, the iCom seems to be smart enough not to interrupt you when the other phone rings. Sometimes when you hangup the first phone and then get a call from the second phone, the iCom doesn’t reconnect to the second phone automatically. It only happens about 15-20% of the time and some days it never happens. I’m not sure why this happens and it may be my fault. Here is the scenario. You are in your office with both your cell and land line phones connected to the iCom and you have the iCom around your neck. You take a call from your bluetooth landline phone via the iCom and hangup after 15 minutes. You then walk to the washroom down the hall with the iCom around your neck connected to your cellphone (which is on your hip). When you get back to your desk, the land line rings again and the iCom doesn’t receive the call. Its still connected to your cell phone but you have walked more than 30 feet away from the other phone and when you walk back into range of the land line phone, maybe it isn’t smart enough to reconnect. Turning the iCom off/on fixes the issue. Not sure the iCom was really designed to deal with these kinds of complexities…hehehehe.

Jordan.

Well yesterday I went ahead and started a trial with the Solana MicroP. And it has confirmed my suspicion that I am a natural self-programmer, it is a real bind that the Target software is so locked down, I am annoyed that I am basically being asked to choose between the best hearing instruments that I can’t put my own preferences onto or lesser technology which I can manipulate for myself.

So what I think of them so far:

The audioshoe is very neat in the way it attaches, but it covers most of the back of the hearing aid, so no matter what colour you have chosen, the most visible part of the HA is the colour of the audioshoe, only available in boring colours.
    I hate the domes. I lasted all of 2 hours before I ditched them and put my Siemens ones on them. They just about fit, though you do have to take them out pretty carefully not to end up with a stuck dome. I'm sure the majority of people don't like occlusion, but it appears that I do! I wore fully occluded moulds through my childhood and later wore ITE shell aids, I am used to occlusion, and having a conductive component it doesn't make a whole heap of difference to me anyway, my voice always echoes in my head
    The tube shape is not a good match to my ears, there's always a waggly bit left over
    In most programs it sounds like everyone is speaking to me through a PA system
    Soundrecover I adore. Yes, I know, not designed for my type of loss, but don't knock it till you've tried it. All those noises that are painful and distorted even at 30dB are just gone, no more walking around feeling like I've been shot in the brain with a BB gun when someone presses a button on the ATM. I'm gonna get me some more of that!! It was the main reason I wanted to try these hearing aids but it's been left off in 3 out of my 4 programs :mad:
    Soundrelax def seems to work, though not sure how necessary it is compared to soundrecover cos loud noises don't really bother me that much, it's the frequency that matters.
    I can understand my daughter. That is almost priceless, and if we can make the rest of the instrument work out for me in other situations then that's an easy sale, I can speak to my little girl without anyone getting frustrated.
    With current programming I cannot understand men. They sound like they have been muffled first but then played back through an amplifier in a very large echoey room, so it's hard to explain to the audi, he says does it sound muffled or echoey - um, both! Any tips on what to do about that on gratefully received! :D
    Those beeps are a pain! I don't want to have NO beeps, but the beeps are really long, and they don't overlay the other sound, they mute everthing until it's done beeping, that's really annoying that if you change program to get better access to sound it actually makes you miss a couple of seconds while it plays a merry tune - is there an alternative where it will still make some kind of confirmation that it's changed program but doesn't beep like a mad thing? Especially on return to Soundflow Automatic, that is a loooooong tune - if you remove the beeps is it still obvious you changed program so you can count how many you cycled through?
    I like the Zoomcontrol, and I think I prefer it manual than automatic because if you have someone each side of you and one is quiet and one is loud I bet the auto zooms to the loud person - maybe someone with the Ambra or IX series will confirm how that performs?
    I actually seem to be able to figure out where things are. I hear an alarm and I looked straight at the car with its flashing lights. Never happened before, will be much safer crossing the street now.

Would love to hear a better description of Stereozoom, it’s the one thing about the Ambra that I find tempting, but the brochure just fiddle-faddles around the point that there is a network of microhphones that produces a beam - unless it’s going to shoot lasers out at people (which sounds kinda cool!) that doesn’t make any sense to me.

Seeing audi again Monday, any recommendations on how we can get rid of the “everyone is speaking through a microphone” sound? I am not a bit bothered if stuff sounds “natural” or not, I’ve never had fully functional hearing, I’ve worn hearing aids forever, I dont’ have any frame of reference for what “natural” sounds like, and it’s far more important to me that I get audibility. If everyone sounds like a Cyberman but I know what they are saying to me then that’s absolutely fine by me, but the problem just now is that it muffles up the sound quality. I think the issue for me with Target is that is starts with the idea that you want things as natural as possible, which is a good starting point for late-deafened folks and mild losses I’m sure, but I’m quite used to and quite happy with things sounding weird, I’d rather there was a box you could tick for “just make it audible and hang the consequences” and start the fitting from there.

Have the Audi turn down the sound recover first. Then under “fitting” go to calm setting, Automatic adjustment, speech, and look for the condition “Hollow and Boomy” Have that condition turned down at least one notch, maybe two. My initial setting was as yours and that’s what my audi did.

I’m really grateful for the input, which will enhance Monday’s meeting with the audi-of-the-day. This visit I plan to ask for a specific appointment that includes the Phonak rep.

I use a precision freq generator and free-air speaker to judge the performance of the fitting and of the aids, together (for balance) and one aid at a time. The aids should sound much the same individually, and the sound source should appear to be in the center when both aids are ON. Adjustment needs are pretty obvious.

Hopefully I’ll get some answers regarding the ICOM device, and also will ask for the Sound Recover function.

Zoom? I never heard of it.

At this moment, the buttons control volume, and I was told that PROGRAM CONTROL is automatic. I suspect that it can be set so that I have control over the program AND the volume, and will find out.

Now that is pretty pointless on a modern aid, as you’ll get the feedback manager doing it’s nut and noise cancelling killing the gain down at the frequency you are measuring.

I have moderate hearing loss and am trying out several hearing aids since February this year. First the Phonak Exelia Art, then the Widex 440 Clear and since June the Phonak Ambra MicroM.

At first the Audi just programmed the automatic mode and added on my request music in the first manual slot. A few weeks later, having read a bit more about the aids, I asked to program duo phone, stereo zoom and comfort.

Being unexperienced with programming Ambra’s, my audi didn’t know what I was asking for at first. Finally he found it, but told me that the Ambra MicroM only can have 3 additional programs. Now it was my turn to be surprised after having read many posts on this forum where 5 tot 6 additional programs could be added.

Is it so the Ambra MicroM only has 3 manual slots to add specific programs? And what to expect from the remote control Pilot One and the I-come. My audi didn’t seem to find them “must haves” :confused:

Gittje,
Time to get your Audi to call the Phonak rep and get some knowledge about the products he/she are selling. Also request the rep be at your next adjustment so you can get the answers to your questions and make adjustments correctly, since it sounds like your Audi doesn’t know Phonak products real well. The remote and ICom are available for the Ambra’s. If nothing else go to phonak’s website to find out. Good juck.

Is this a regular procedure?

My audi went to a course about the Ambra’s last year, but they weren’t available yet. He got his first pair of Ambra’s to fit on me in June. He told me that the software of the Ambra’s has been renewed too and that he has to find his way.

Maybe you should be finding your way out his door and giving him back the HA. You paid too much to have an inexperienced audi.

I didn’t want to go to that extreme, but if he can’t get the rep or some knowledge on the Ambra’s before your next visit you may want to go elsewhere. If you’ve done much reading on the Forum you have seen that a lot of Audi’s are having problems setting up the new Phonak aids. Once again good luck!

Yes, I noticed that.

I paid $9,000.00 for my AudeoS in January this year. I have been back to my Audie for 15 yes 15 goes at trying to get them right and they are still horrendous in noise. Why did I buy them…because I was sucked in by quite a few people saying how great they were…and I thought my Audie could get them right…well she hasn’t and didn’t and I don’t think she ever will and I am stuck with these Aids. I would certainly not recommend them to anyone and I am so sorry I wasted that much money on something that I can’t hear properly with. My grand kids came today for a visit and the aids picked up every yell and scream and any outside noise that they could possibly pick up but managed to not pick up any speech…grrrrr I hate them.

Daisy,
Perhaps a well worded letter from a lawyer to the audiologist, Phonak or both might get some action.
I think 15 trips to the Audi is a little over the top trying to get the aids dialed in. If this doesn’t show that Phonak has produced either a lemon or a product that doesn’t work, nothing will. Good luck! I think you will need it.

I tried the Audeo S Smart for THREE months and many, many trips to the audi.They were terrible. I went to another audi and he insisted that I should try them again - they were slightly better but still nothing like the Widex Clear 440 Fusion.
I found with the Phonaks that certain sounds set them off into oscillation and that this then gave me a spaced out feeling in my head. The frequencies that did this seemed to be around 1200 hz but everyday sounds like running water, plates clashing in a restaurant, crinkling paper etc would send them nuts.
Having now tried two pairs - from two different audis I have to assume that there is something wrong with the design. I am going back to the Widex!!!

Let me add to the chorus.

I tries the Phonak Solana MicroP and then the Cassia, both Spice aids. I finally gave up and returned them to the degreed audiologist.

I have since bought Microtech branded Starkey S Series iQ 11 CIC aids from a hearing aid fitter. They have been much better and less expensive than the Phonak aids.Unfortunately, I just took them to my fitter today to send them out for repair. They both died within days of each other :frowning:

I am now using my 9 year old Widex Senso Diva ITC aids until I get my other ones back.

I hope I do not need to use Microtech’s 3 year warranty many more times.