Phonak Sound Recover

I have sound recover activated on a pair of Smart V’s for high frequency loss.
Is it possible that this adjustment makes the letter S sound cut off. It kinda sounds like people are talking with there tongue between there teeth for lack of a better way of describing it.

1 Like

I vaguely remember seeing that there is an adjustment that can be made for lisping sounds (if that’s what you are describing).

By increasing the Sound Recover it will help you hear the “s” sound. The program will compress higher frequencies into lower frequencies where you have better hearing. Sound Recover is excellent for the ski slope hearing loss people.

Hope this helps.

That sounds like the issue I’m dealing with right now.
I will have t olook for that fix.

Thanks Norm

This may help you understand Sound Recover.

1. Click on this Sound Recover link.
  2. Then click on the (more) link on the right side of the webpage.
  3. Then click Play Example.

Thanks PVC.

[quote=pvc;31698]This may help you understand Sound Recover.
/quote]

I vaguely remember seeing that there is an adjustment that can be made for lisping sounds (if that’s what you are describing).

A video I watched yesterday suggested that decreasing Sound Recover would fix this issue.

It sounds like you have too much Soundrecover compression active. Shift the slider to the right and listen to /S/ vs /Sh/. They should still be distinguisable otherwise you need to increase SoundRecover.

I would be concerned about using Sound Recover on any mild to moderate hearing loss because of the potential for damaging useable residual hearing in the high frequencies where there is Ok to normal discrimination ability. Shifting high frequency information to lower frequencies in this manner creates auditory deprivation in the high frequencies and the potential to further damage what useable hearing is there.

It sounds like you have too much Soundrecover compression active. Shift the slider to the right and listen to /S/ vs /Sh/. They should still be distinguisable otherwise you need to increase SoundRecover.

Thanks for the great input. The answer was to slide right to decrease SR.
Actually I prefer SR turned off all together.

Why do you need soundrecover?

I don’t think that your loss is that bad to use it.

Some Audis use soundrecover for typical high frequency loss. I think the logic is whatever helps you hear better. You can flip it on/off to see if it makes a difference.

I have played with the Sound recover example often with headphones and maximum volume and i still cant hear the upper keys being compressed. Does this mean that sound recover will not help me a great extent?

I don’t think inability to hear the high notes in the example means that sound recover will be of no help. The example is just normal sound for purposes of showing a visual example.

You don’t get the benefit of sound recover unless you have sound recover active on your Phonak hearing aids. Then when you listen to the example (or any high frequency sounds) you should be able to determine if sound recover is helping.

I have no knowledge about whether sound recover may or may not help for your specific hearing loss. Do you have free trials in your area?

Part of high frequency hearing loss is not hearing consonants, the ‘S’ in particular. From a speech stand point the Sound Recover should bring the ‘S’ sound down in frequency to a point the patient can to hear it. Given time for the brain to learn these new sounds the patient should have better speech recognition. It has for me.

Good luck

We can give it time, but does it work at the end? Will we be able to understand after the practice?

Any experience on this?

The answer to your question is in the response. Try reading it again.

You might try using the search function of this forum for your many questions. The answers for just about ALL of them have been discussed.

Good luck

I read it again. It is interesting to know that it worked for someone. I am excited to try it.

Don’t forget that Sound recover exists fro TWO reasons:

1. The shift high notes to a lower frequency where you might be able to hear them better.

2. To compensate for the difficulty hearing aids & their speakers have in delivering high gain at high frequencies … so it helps to sidestep the technical problem by shifting the highs away from the difficult area!

Glad someone else noticed this.

It’s a classic technology dodge, isn’t it? Put something in there that the product needs to actually improve gain before feedback, hand it over to marketing who turn it into a win/win :wink:

When you get your REM kit, plot a curve with the soundrecover at either end of the slider, look at the difference in the HF gain. IMHO it’s also a bit like the ESP/traction control on a Merc: you turn it off, but it’s still ‘managed’ to some extent.