Phonak Sound Recover

:confused:

Can you say that in an easy way ?

looking at my loss I wonder how sound recover can help. I have very bad loss even in the 1-2 K Hz, so I don’t know to where they can shift the high frequensies. I doubt they can shift them to the good 250-500 kK Hz.

:confused:

Does it affect the voice quality when increasing the sound recover?

I can see that you have better hearing in the mid ranges, so it is easier for you to benifit from that. Can sound recover be shifter to the good ranges I have( 250-500)?

SoundRecover can only dump highs down to 1.5Khz even when set to maximum … so your right ear might benefit … but probably not much …

It’s a classic technology dodge, isn’t it? Put something in there that the product needs to actually improve gain before feedback, hand it over to marketing who turn it into a win/win :wink:

Have you ever used a megaphone and wondered why your voice sounds different through it? It’s because the device uses a frequency/phase shift to reduce the incidence of feedback. It’s the same with the soundrecover to some extent - the difference is that somebody also realised that there is a practical aspect to frequency compression in terms of precipitous losses. I’ll be generous and say it was down to an Engineering/Audiology inspiration rather than marketing…

When you get your REM kit, plot a curve with the soundrecover at either end of the slider, look at the difference in the HF gain. IMHO it’s also a bit like the ESP/traction control on a Merc: you turn it off, but it’s still ‘managed’ to some extent.

The real ear measurement system that E.D. might purchase at some time in the future will be able to illustrate the actual HF gain in operation - with properly fitted aids, it’s quite possible to demonstrate how effective the aid is in providing dynamic response to speech input - even for the seriously steep losses. If the Soundrecover is off completely, a 4Khz pitch will be reproduced at 4Khz (as in any other aid). If it’s on a fraction (Mercedes) it may be 3.7Khz. If the slider is set fully over it might be 3KHz.

HTH :wink:

Sound Recover is for VERY steeply sloping losses where the cochlea is actually dead. I would NOT recommend it for your hearing loss. Turn it off…

Don’t I need it ? :confused:

In this case I am not a good candidate for sound recover. What options do I have to improve speech understanding ? Can few adjustments work for that?

Dead spots aren’t necessarily going to be massively benefitted by use of soundrecover - you could end up compressing more HF into a narrower band thereby increasing the issues caused by the dead spot.

Surely there’s an argument to use it to avoid the downward spread of masking in this case. What is the auditory resolution like at 4khz?, you must have a better idea than me to make such a sweeping statement. Without an idea of the cochea and retro-cochlea function how can you confirm your hypothesis?

IMHO, trying soundrecover would be beneficial - not trying it at all may limit the options regarding the loss.

I think I will not benifit from cound recover. I asked the audi to increase it to th maximum. He did but I started hearing the receivers working in my head. This affects clarity of speech a lot.

That is the part of Sound Recover that takes time. Your brain is hearing new sounds that have to figured out. It takes time, some people will not take this time and never understand it. It may be that you could benefit from Sound Recover given enough time?

Good luck

I hope you’re right. I visited the audiologist last week and he made some adjustments based on a software update and a new audiogram that has worsened across the board by about 5 dB. I went to a wedding the next day and was so disoriented I was planning to go back Monday and have him change everything back. I decided to give it another week, because I remember the last time (about a year ago) the audio artifacts were driving me up the wall. My brain eventually adjusted.

My experience as a new hearing aid user was a brief use of Phonak Savia 111’s and then the Nadia V SP aids with Sound Recover. I know the sound was challenging for me. Between being so new to aids and dealing with the Sound Recover it was a learning experience, about 2 or 3 months worth. I now have Exelia Micro and Exelia Art aids to compare. Both of these Phonak Exelia aids are fine aids. The Exelia Art aids have Sound Recover and are more refined in my opinion. I have better speech understanding with them. They are tuned pretty much the same so that is not the difference.

Hope this helps.

Do you mean that the receivers sounds are news sounds? Nop. That can’t be true. I think it is only distortion caused by increasing sound recover so much.

Anyways, I can’t benifit from sound recover because it shifts frequncies only to1.5k HZ and my hearing is very bad there,so I can’t make use ot it.

what is an acceptable adjustment time for soundrecover ?

Phonak studies indicate weeks or months rather than days - but the benefit is real.

I completed four weeks , noticed some improvements but I think I need some more weeks.