Phonak Roger Rip Off

That’s a very good point…

If that Roger X is being used with a Compilot maybe not. When I set mine up there are no serial numbers involved. This is with Belong and Venture aids.

The Roger stuff is complcated!! When plugged into the compilot there is no transfer, when plugged into the installer the license is transferred into the Marvels. So in that case, yes, the Roger X is empty. But, the license can be put back into the Roger x. Same deal with the pen or select iN. So, buying on Ebay can be OK as long as the license, or “receiver” has not been transferred or has been transferred back.

I’m in your situation and I’m so shocked by this. I had no idea that it would cost so much to set up my Marvel 90 with the Roger Pen which I already own! In my non-hearing aid ear, I have a cochlear implant which included a Roger Pen in the initial kit. Anyway, now I’m left wondering if it’s worth it. I can’t really afford this. I feel like I was misled.

@kevels55 how’re you getting on with just the 1 x Roger?

Altho I haven’t got the Marvels, I’m only wearing 1 x Roger in my bad ear. So far so good.

If I wear 2 x Rogers, I feel cut off from the world even with HA Mics on.

1 Like

To be very honest Zebras the Pen works but occasionally I get them constantly switching off and on in a sequence of beeps… very annoying!!!.. I thought they were just knackered but alas no, tis just some bug in the software methinks? I tried uninstalling the Roger Pen 1.1 new firmware, installing the old firmware and that didn’t work, then reinstalled the new to no avail, a few other folks on here are having the same intermittent problem, so I am assuming it is some bug of some sort in the Marvels… Tis a a pity and unless Phonak release some sort of software fix then I have a small and slightly expensive paperweight! I hope you are well and staying safe, cheers Kev.

That sounds very frustrating! Is it a known issue that Phonak will sort out?

I sometimes have beeping in my ear with the Roger on, when the sound coming through the Roger is too low.

I found not using RogerReady and using a manual Roger program to fix the issue. I don’t know if you can have a manual Roger program with the Marvels.

It’s annoying that I have to manually change programs but it seemed to of fixed my issues.

1 Like

Not sure if there is that feature in the Marvels or not Zebras? But I will have a look hopefully once this pandemic has passed? I don’t have any need for the Roger at the moment as you are no doubt aware, maybe Phonak will have a fix before we all emerge back into the “Real” world which will probably be a long way off from the present, I can’t see us being out and about anytime soon, hopefully I am wrong? I have found the Phonak TV Connect to be absolutely brilliant with my Marvels, I did have it on the TV itself but swopped it to my 27” iMac and what a difference that made to my Netflix viewing as they have an excellent closed captions text service along with there audio output and I now follow films etc’ with ease… Thank you for your input. Cheers Kev😜

1 Like

I sure hope someone can give me definitive answers. I have M90R HAs. I’ve read everything I can find (I’ve certainly tried) about Roger Pen iN and Select iN. Based on Forum members info, I decided Select iN and maybe a used Pen original on EBay would do it. I thought I understood the Select iN would directly connect to HAs with nothing else necessary. The Pen would also connect because a second license was there and available. So cost of Select iN and used Pen only.

Yes that would work but I’d get an EasyPen rather then a 1.1 Pen because you can’t use the Bluetooth in the 1.1 Pen as the KS9 and Marvels go crazy trying to use the Bluetooth in the 1.1 Pen.

Thank you! Good to know.

@mhbangelo

No need for easy pen just for that.
Just don’t click those call buttons and don’t turn on the BT and you’re fine.

Easy pen can’t lock which mics you want to use, and I must say that my main reason was interview mode, and I don’t want it to switch around as I move pen.

My used pen 1.1 just arrived. Works nicely :slight_smile: same as brand new of 900 eur :joy:
This one, with shipping included was 110 usd.

And yes, I have new select iN. Got the keys/licenses out of there into HA and I can connect with any roger mic now, that means also any other table mic, select, pen, clip on.

1 Like

On my 1.1 Pen, every time I turn it on, I would have to turn off the Bluetooth as my Bluetooth doesn’t seem to stay off.

EDIT - Just found out why my Bluetooth won’t stay off.

Yes, get the 1.1 pen. Has more useful features than Easypen & works well with the Select. Seems to be some new ones on Ebay for US $120.

If you are going with the Roger-in on M90r aids, the licenses are in the RogerX receivers and are moved into the aids in programming. Roger-In comes with Type03 licenses.

Once the receiver licenses are in the Marvels and is activated, then you can use any Roger device that matches the license. Type3 can talk to type3 stuff. Type 2 can talk to it all…

With the marvel aids…they have built in legacy Bluetooth. Do NOT use Bluetooth on the Roger accessories. This sounded stupid to me too. Why COULD’NT I set up a phone connection to the pen and then pair the pen to the hearing aids? But you can’t. It sets up some type of loop.Ironically, I can put Roger X receivers on my Resound Quattro aids through a DAI shoe and do just that…lol.

Wow! More info. I do appreciate.

That’s a hand full…

1 Like

I want to make sure I under stand this, if you have a Roger-X receiver through a DAI shoe on my hearing aid and the license is in the receiver, not the aid?

I only have one aid, for my left ear. A cochlear implant for the other. My one aid is a ReSound Quattro that will sync with my implant once I’m activated. This means you can use a Roger device with your non-Marvel HA?

That’s a around about way of using Roger accessories with a different manufacturer’s aid. I love the Roger, but it’s too pricey. If you can use some hack and the Roger accessories could work with HA’s other than just the Marvels and if there was s lower price point, it could make Roger worth a higher price, but not $1,500 I was quoted when I almost purchased the Marvel M90R.

This brings up a couple other questions. Does a Roger accessory now work with KS9 hearing aids? They received the same firmware upgrade as the Marvels, but do they have the receivers needed to work with Roger?

The other question is would the Quattro and Cochlear N7 be able to sync as they do now or would this require an intermediary device in order to sync together?

If I’m understanding this coorectly, it’s very interesting. I’m not a programmer or experiment, electrnics, or one that understands the science of sound or frequency, but how one discovers these things is amazing.

Ok,

For PHONAK aids with Marvel … you can get the Roger IN series of hardware. They come with two RogerX type 3 receivers. The licensing in those receivers or any Roger X OVER a certain serial number can be transferred into the built in receivers in the Marvel series Phonak aids. The programmer is a separate box.

For any other hearing aid… the IN part of the whole equation is moot.

I have Resound Quattro. I have the DAI shoes. I can plug ANY RogerX receiver into my aids,

If you want to use a single roger x receiver Plug it into the multi mic if you are into the Resound ecosystem.

You can use Roger with any hearing aid that has a T coil by using a Roger Mylink. They are available on eBay for a little over $200. Don’t buy a regular Mylink, they are for FM systems and won’t work with Roger Pens, or Selects. This is a little cumbersome, having to wear the Mylink around your neck, but it does work well. I couldn’t afford the pricey Roger iN stuff and went this route for a whole lot less spent. I consider the whole Roger thing a big rip off by Phonak. They have the TV Connector, and Partner Mic which pair directly to Marvels and are much cheaper. Roger should be the same.