Phonak Roger microphone for use on ebikes

Hi everyone, I’m 32 years old and I have marvel m90 hearing aids.
I hope to buy the new phonak infinio sphere hearing aids within the year.

I often go out with friends on e-bikes and we tackle various trails (some of which are complicated). I was wondering if there was a roger microphone to give to my friend while we tackle the various trails, so I can hear him well! Sometimes I’m ahead and I can’t hear the person behind me or I can’t understand what he’s saying.
Do you think the “roger-on” or the “roger clip-on Mic” are right for me? Can they be clipped onto the shirt without falling off?
Has anyone found themselves in the same situation as me?
(I could do the same thing with karts, give it to my teammate and hear what he says. Obviously I know that he mustn’t be too far away otherwise the connection will drop)

I’ve never had a roger…and I want to be sure before spending money.

Thanks, best regards

1 Like

I’m not sure you’d be satisfied. Outdoor use of the roger gets a little dicey for signal strength as there aren’t walls to bounce the signal. If you were pretty close, it might work. It wants line of sight between the roger and your HAs. I’d say you’re not going to get 20-30 feet which might be reasonable distances when biking. My opinion, maybe someone has tried it and has a different response? When waking abreast with someone it works well.

WH

3 Likes

I’ve tried it when hiking and it’s useless as if they turn the body so signal is blocked, it completely cuts out.

I would love a solution to be able to hear my friend as we want to hike Ben Nevis, the highest mountain in the UK. Ben Nevis is very small compared to US mountains.

3 Likes

I experimented with this, a year or so ago, 20 metres was around the maximum with Naida Paradise, but it was slightly flakey, sometimes the ALD wearers body cut out the signal… Sphere Infinio has been reported as having a much greater signal strength, so the Roger ALD’s may work better outside with The Sphere? Cheers Kev :wink:

For Roger? I know it has it fr BT, but Roger is a different animal. I wonder what we’ll get. To my understanding, the Roger is a one-way transmission, not a handshake signal. That’s why there isn’t a limit to the number of HAs that can be associated with a Mic.

WH

2 Likes

I don’t know WH, I recall reading the new signal distance’s on the Sphere Infinio, but I was just glossing over it, and the actual distances never registered on my “Pea” like brain :rofl: but I do recall it was quite an improvement, over previous aids… Cheers Kev :wink:

1 Like

Right, someone conjectures that there a major class upgrade in the level of BT provided. Have they improved the antenna substantially, too? I have to figure they use the same antenna for all the 2.5g stuff.

WH

1 Like

Yes, Roger is something different to BT, but I remember that Roger seems to use HA microphones to assess noise levels.

1 Like

That mixing occurs in the HA, not the roger. If 100 HAs are listening, how could it manage?

WH

2 Likes

Ok, I hardly remember that. The answer seems reasonable.

1 Like

I understand, thanks.
So it is not worth buying any roger at the moment, it is definitely not for me, the connection would drop continuously.

So I need a bluetooth accessory that does something similar to the roger, a bluetooth microphone… (for example something similar to the dji mic 2 but that transmits the voice instead of recording)

If it existed, it would be very useful for those who do trekking, e-bike, karting, etc.

1 Like

What my kids use for motorcycling is packtalk. I think we have edge and bold models. It clips onto a cleat you install on your helmet. You can install speakers inside your helmet. Pretty good range. Sena is another brand you could look at. It can connect to a gps if you wish.

WH

1 Like

Went for a bike ride yesterday and wished I had brought my partner mic for just the reason you mentioned. It may not be as good as some other solutions mentioned but I think its a pretty simple solution. We mostly ride side by side and the wind noise past the helmet even at a slow speed made it hard for me to understand my spouse. I will report back after out next ride.

2 Likes