Phonak Roger - Adaptive Gain vs Easy Gain

I use a small network of Roger mics with my Phonak’s.

I am trying to help a friend try this too right now and it’s not working so well for her. I sent her several Roger Clip on mics to use at her weekly work meeting. She tried a single clip on mic with a friend recently and reports that the Roger mic sounded horrible.

The specifics are that she is using a Roger Mylink in her T-coil program and is setting the My Phonak app set like this to hear from the Roger Mic.
image|281x500
I am not familiar with the app. Does she have it set correctly to get sound from the Roger Mic only? IE is this setting the same as if her audiologist turned off her hearing aid mics within Target?

She tried moving the volume up and down on the Mylink and it didn’t help. What is the Volume on the Mylink actually controlling? My understanding is that if her audi programmed her aids with a T-Coil + Mics setting, that she is changing the volume in her hearing aids, and she should try turning the Mylink down to reduce some of the background noise. Is that correct?

The myLink sound quality is awful compared to the actual receivers.

@RogerPM, does newer Phonak HAs works better with Roger Select? For example: Phonak P90-RT vs Bolero V70-P with RogerX?

@Bimodal_user the P90 have to use a Roger X as well but you install it in to it rather then attach it on the bottom of the HA.

I know it, it’s Roger Direct feature, which requires Roger Installer and proper serial number in RogerX. I mean other differences, such as e.g. signal processing, effectiveness in noise, etc.

1 Like

Hi a.kowal.pr

I’m no expert on the HA side, so I cannot comment on any details on the difference in signal processing, but what you get from using a Phonak HA with Roger Direct is improved reception range of the Roger signal, and an additional adaptive gain mode that’s called Dual adaptive. Instead of only increasing the gain of the Roger signal by up to 20dB as in the standard mode, it also decreases the hearing aid mic gain. Up to +10dB on Roger and -10dB on the mic. This may give you some more comfort in noise under certain conditions.

You also get an improved operating time as Roger Direct consumes less current than Roger X.

6 Likes

We have a member who has installed Roger direct into his Costco KS9 aids and works great. It was a DIY thing.
No guarantee but I would think the Roger Direct could also be installed into the Brio 4 aids. Worth checking into.

2 Likes

Thanks for info :slight_smile:

Looking to see if any assistive device experts have found a method to help with Sports broadcasts. The problem as I see it is that for all stadium games the broadcasters blend together crowd noise from the stadium with the announcer’s voices. The result for we HOH folk, whether using a HA or a CI, is a speech in noise problem. Word recognition then suffers a lot. I use Roger equipment which works great for many things but not so for this problem. Any way to separate the speech from the crowd noise?

I’ve never really been able to tell if adaptive gain has been working on my Roger.

Yesterday I turned everything to 0 like NoiseBlock and WindBlock and now I can tell that my Roger is working so much better.

It’s working much better in very noisy places.

Even having my NoiseBlock at number 4 which is weak, stopped my Roger from working as well.

1 Like

Where do you you have the mic set? Is that at 0 dB, or do you adjust it lower?
I turned the mic off completely to hear better in noise (I generally have everyone wearing Mics) but I’m wondering if I could get it to work a little better by adding a bit my HA Mic. Just wondering where to start. On target it goes to -30db

My Mics on my aids are set as standard on when using my Roger.