Phonak Reciever Length

Might seem like a strange question but does anyone know the length difference between a Phonak RIC number 2 and number 3.

I have always used number 3 but to me they seem a little long.

Drew.

Yes, it is the length of the wire. If you’re unlucky number 2 will seem a little too short. :slight_smile:

Yeh thats why I am asking, does anyone know the actual length in mm of a number 2 and number 3 so I can measure the difference.

Drew.

I have the slimwires, but if they use the same system for both,—IIRC the audiologist use the same measuring hook for both—than the slimwire 2 is 4.9mm from behind the insert into the mold up to the screw into the HA body.The screw has a thickness of 3mm between the measured end of the wire and the body.

EDIT: If someone could measure the length of the slimwire number 1, I would be very interested. My number 2’s start out fine but lengthen rather rapidly.

1 Like

The wire length itself of a 2, almost stretched out straight, is 49mm.

2 Likes

So Drew, what is the length of number 3?

There is a tool used to measure tube/wire size. It hangs over the ear and has size lines that meet your ear opening. A quick guess would be 3/8” difference between size two and three.
Try searching google for:
RIC tube fitting guide

1 Like

2 Likes

Are the wire sizes strictly the distance in the vertical plane, or is there some variation in the distance the receiver will penetrate into the ear canal?
The reason I ask, is that when I’m streaming music, pressing gently inwards on the wires improves the quality of the sound. For example, if there’s a string bass playing, I can hear it while pressing on the wires. …otherwise not.
My receiver wires are #2 and I recently went from 8mm to 10mm Bass single-vent domes which seemed to improve the situation, but I’m wondering if positioning the receivers further inward? The vertical portions of the wires are already up against the outer anatomy of my ears.
-Doug

@douglas.fraser Low frequencies tend to flow out of your ear if the dome or mold isn’t closing of the canal properly or the vent is too large. Moving it around by pressing the wire can easily change the outflow and hence improve your bass sounds. If you’d program the aids yourself you could do an in situ measurement also known as AudiogramDirect: If your audiogram shows that your lower frequencies are much worse than before, while the rest isn’t that much affected, than it’s an indication that your dome/mold isn’t fitting very well.

The receivers are usually not positioned further inward. However, with a custom mold you could make it longer so that the volume between the ear drum and the mold is smaller. This should have a positive effect if you’re having trouble with occlusion. My audiologist did recommend a new Real Ear Measurement if the custom mold affects that volume.

If you want to experiment with it, you could buy two component silicon putty. Google soft ear molds or custom made ear buds. Very nice. I use about 2g for one ear. Cut them to the length of my hard custom molds, though. So no idea what the effect is.