Phonak Real Ear Test & Feedback Test

I had my feedback test re ran today and noticed it also does the real ear test, does anyone know what that involves, the real ear test? :slight_smile:

Phonak doesn’t have the capabilities to run real ear within the software. Not sure what other test they did…

Oh right coz it actually said Real Ear Test, that’s why I was confused.

RECD function occurs as part of the feedback measurement in Target. The gain is modified according to the response from the canal.

That’s good to know :slight_smile:

Would you recommend having this done every time I get new earmolds? Thank you :slight_smile:

Actually, no that is not correct. The only way to measure RECD is to physically place a probe in the ear canal and Phonak doesn’t have that utility within their software. It uses average and esitmated (estimated takes into account audiometric data as well) figures only. You do have the ability to go in and input data if you’ve measured it through a Real-ear system, but phonak doesn’t measure it for you.

Actually, no that is not correct. The only way to measure RECD is to physically place a probe in the ear canal and Phonak doesn’t have that utility within their software. It uses average and esitmated (estimated takes into account audiometric data as well) figures only. You do have the ability to go in and input data if you’ve measured it through a Real-ear system, but phonak doesn’t measure it for you.

Regardless of whether the software is measuring RECD/REAR or any other real-ear measurement, you always need to re-run the feedback test when you get earmolds because the physical fit/properties of the mold will change and effect the available gain. Any time a change in acoustic parameters is made, a new feedback test should be run.

The feedback calibration in the Target software calculates an estimated RECD using information entered into the acoustic options section of the software combined with the results of the feedback test. I understand this information is used as part of their direct sound compensation algorithm. As it is an estimate, the accuracy of this value would depend on many variables and it shouldn’t really be used over a measured RECD for the calculation of prescription targets for real ear measurements.

After you run the feedback manager, it asks you whether you want Target to take the RE estimate into consideration in terms of the prescribed gain. I accept that it’s not anywhere near as accurate as a probe tube measure, but that is what the software is trying to do.

The estimated measurement only takes into account the audiogram, no measurement of the ear canal or difference between it and the coupler measurment. So it’s not a response from the canal, it’s an estimated projection. While I accept it’s phonak’s attempt to apply some kind of change in the settings based on proposed differences, saying it’s the RECD is inaccurate. Might come down to semantics in the end, but I wouldn’t want a patient to think they are having a measurement performed that really isn’t.