Phonak introduces Marvel platform and Audéo M hearing aids

That’s right, that is what that screen in Phonak Target says. It does the feedback test where it produces sounds in each ear. Not sure how you would use it for a REM test.

I think these are called Velvet Black. I really like them. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Interesting - looks like you opted to take the keepers off. I’ve heard the shape of the wire conforms better with the Marvels - do you find they stay in just fine without the keepers?

Yes. With my previous aids, I had a lot of troubles with the domes backing out. I went with custom molds, and then had troubles with them causing a lot of pain. Finally, my audi was able to grind them down to make them comfortable. I had just assumed that because my ears move so much, I would always need molds.

I was quite surprised that these stay in place. In an earlier post, I mentioned that the silver ones I had originally had wires that were too long, yet they still stayed in place. The keepers were iritating my ears, and the right one kept popping out, so I took them off to see how it would work, and everything worked out fine. The black ones came with a shorter wire and don’t budge. My wife says you almost can’t see them at all. Here’s some pics:

On the left is the Siemens with a custom mold. On the right is the Marvel. You can see how the wire fits a little better.

2 Likes

Next week will start a trial of the Phonak Marvel’s Audeo M90-R for Andriod streaming and return the ReSound Quatro 9 61 rechargeable as Resound/Google has NOT provided streaming and saying it maybe sometime in the first quarter 2019. The Quatro pairs and connects to my Pixel 3 XL at the OS level , can change program and volume. The Resound App requires the pairing to be done only in the App. See screen shot.

Been following this thread, thanks all for the great information !

3 Likes

Thats the screen, and it have been discussed before, you can read more about it here:

2 Likes

That discussion you linked is from 2013. Has anything improved since then? If this is not a Real Ear measurement, then why is Phonak calling it that? I can tell you that these aids sound better than my Siemens did and the Siemens had Real Ear done on them.

It is A real ear measurement, but it is not the real-ear verification that we talk about a lot here. Phonak is taking a measurement of the feedback pathway, which also gives them an idea about the size of your ear canal and the venting.

3 Likes

Tracking on your progress with the M’s. Thanks, BlueCrab.

1 Like

Nice! I want my next HAs flat or tech black like that.

1 Like

Earlier in this thread, you mentioned that you had tried “turning off Bluetooth” to no avail. How were you doing this? These days, using the iOS control panel and toggling the Bluetooth icon will not turn off Bluetooth, it turns off new connections (for 24 hours as I recall). To really turn Bluetooth off, you have to either go to the Settings app and turn it off in there, or (presumably) turn on Airplane mode.

I’ve been taking a lot of interest in this topic, and have been fitted with a pair of Marvels that I’ve been trying out for jjust under a week. I’ve been wearing aids for just on 7 years, and this is my 2nd pair - the last pair also being Phonak, so I only have limited experience, however did trial an Oticon pair before this set.

1. The good. The bluetooth connectivity with my Samsung 8 is brilliant. Very clear voices on the other end, they hear my voice clearly too. Can’t express how impressed I am. I’ve also tried streaming music, and again - the music was clear, sharp and I couldn’t fault. However in the last few days almost everybody says my voice is muffled, and they can’t hear what I’m saying - and I’m wondering whether it is because I turned the bluetooth audio down? Streaming music was too loud - so I had the volume turned down, but would that also turn the microphone down?
  2. The bad. I’m not sure whether it is the dome size, but one of my ears is getting irritated and sore towards the end of the day. The domes seem a lot bigger than the ones on my old aids, so wondering whether this could be an issue. From reading comments on this forum, I was also hoping that clarity of sounds would be so much better with these aids - both in one on one situations and group - but I’m finding no difference at all - in fact if anything, sound is worse. What’s even more annoying is that the sound in one ear is permanently dull - like I have a blocked waxguard. I’ve tried replacing the waxguard to no avail however. Programs. Perhaps it was the way my aids were set up, but I can’t see any available - it appears standard or nothing.
    I have another appointment with my audi tomorrow -perhaps that can explain all the questions I have so far - but wanted to provide my feedback.

I have also had my Marvels for a week (fitted last Thursday). I find the phone conversations to be very good, even in very noisy rooms. The other party is able to hear me clearly and with the voice coming to both my ears I have no problem even with heavy background noise. Streaming music is also very good and I use it when I’m working out. These are my first hearing aids so I don’t have any basis for comparison but so far I am very satisfied with the Marvels. Regarding programs your audiologist should have set them up for you. There are many to choose from but only three additional (beyond AutoSense 3.0) can be input to the Hearing aids. Mine have the AutoSense 3.0 (which I use most of the time); Speech in Noise; Speech in Loud Noise; and Music. I used the Music setting at a concert last weekend and it worked fine. I’ve used Speech in Noise and Speech in Loud Noise also with success. I may have my audiologist add in the Car setting and remove one of the Speech in Noise programs as I have an old car I drive sometimes and it is very noisy with both engine and wind noise.

Regarding the dome size, my audiologist didn’t like the domes that came with the Marvels and switched into some closed domes with venting that she prefers. they seem to working well except my right ear (which has the larger dome) does occasionally itch a little which can be annoying.

Sounds like you need to have your audiologist make the necessary adjustments and also add in the three additional programs you prefer from the available list.

Can you post a picture of your domes? That may be the key to my music streaming woes.

I’m getting impressions done tomorrow for molds. Closed domes will not stay seated.

1 Like

I can’t figure out how to add a photo??

Did your provider run real-ear? If they first-fit, the gain is down in the Marvels relative to older Phonak hering aids, particularly at the higher frequencies.

I also find that the closed domes are a bit bigger, so if you were previously a large you may be a medium now.

In the little icon bar above the text entry box there’s an icon that has an up arrow. Click that and upload whatever file from your device and it will automagically insert it into your post.

2 Likes

So are molds brand specific, or could you pop the molds off of your old aids and stick them on the new?

I used domes on the old aids. Never had a problem till the double dome closed. Won’t stay at home. Of course they’d be fine if I didn’t talk, laugh, smile, eat or do anything else where the jaw moves.

That said the Oticon and Widex receivers are a bit different so probably would not be interchangeable with molds