Phonak Paradise P90 Bluetooth connection to my PC

@cvabishop

Have you put both the TV Link II and Aids in pairing mode?

It has been reported that they can be paired.

I tried the EPOS BT800 with my Windows 10 PC but connection was not automatic all the time. I eventually got the TV connector (£75+VAT from CostCo) and connection now is 100% reliable and much better quality (no drops).

Yes I think so, if you put the TV Link into pairing, you’ll need to press the pairing button on the back, and then the main indicator light will start rapidly blinking blue,make sure TVLink and your HAs are within 1 meter, this should do it.

1 Like

There is no button on the back of my TV Link II!

Are you sure, have another look, next to the power connection.

I have the TV Link 2 device and the compilot ll for my older Naida V90 SP aids. These devices do not work with my Naida Paradise U aids. I have a second generation tv connector for the new aids.

Thanks for updating us on this, however this was confirmed by another member, which refers for the TV Link only, it uses bluetooth classic, I’ll try and find the previous post on this.

@cvabishop

There’s a pairing button above where the cord goes in at the back on the TV Link II.

Yes, found the pairing button and it does indeed work, but only to the right aid so far. Tried the left one but no luck.
It also seemed to mess up the MyPhoak app connection and I have had to re pair the aids with my phone!

I think I will leave it in future!

Oh that’s a bit strange, should work in stereo, your Paradise HAs have a master/slave set up for bluetooth streaming, so could be something there.

Yeah probably because the App couldn’t register that old TV Link!
But it is supposed to support any bluetooth device using the older 4.2 classic protocol.

Could be a idea, especially if you can pick up a TV Connecter on the cheap.

Thanks for the advice and help anyway. Only way to learn!

I have revisited my audiologist and had some tweaks made to my aids which have improved things. My particular problem is that hgh frequency hearing loss is so great that there is not much left to play with in making adjustments so I have to be content with what is available. The music program is now pretty good though, particularly when streaming, so I am happy with that. I can now switch programs using the buttons on the aids which is quite uesful and have found that while driving the music program is better than the autosense function. I guess we are all different nd have to find what works best for us.

A further update. I ordered an Asus BT500 which took a while to arrive, (there seems to be a shortage). It was a bit of a tussle to install as the inbuilt Bluetooth 4.0 on my Dell PC put up a fierce rearguard action to being disabled and somewhere along the line messing around with drivers seemed to affect my USB connected printer which stopped working and had to be reinstalled from scratch after uninstalling the existing drivers.
Eventually, after a good deal of frustration, everything seems to be working at the moment and the BT500 is sitting in an USB 3 socket on the front of the PC. I think some of the problems I experienced might have been in initially using my USB 10 port hub.
Initial experience with the BT500 is good. My aids connect automatically with the PC when I switch the latter on and the connection has been there even after I have walked well out of normal Bluetooth range. Time will tell how it reacts to different situations but so far so good!

1 Like

I made the mistake of creating a new topic with the information below so am copying it here, where I hope it has a bigger audience.

I make heavy demands on my P90’s, for Teams calls and streaming, from a variety of laptops, an iPhone and a desktop PC at home. The laptops and iPhone all seem to work well, except that sometimes the P90’s don’t automatically reconnect after being away, but that’s a story for another day.
My biggest issue in these days of working from home was finding a Bluetooth dongle for the USB3 port on my desktop PC.
Initially, I looked around for a dongle that had Bluetooth 5.2 but these seem to not exist (yet)? The ASUS USB BT-500 seemed to have the best spec.
It was a disappointment. The sound was interrupted every 5 seconds or so by a “spit” sound and varying lengths of silence.
I also already had a Sennheiser BTD 500 USB. Also unsatisfactory with the P90s but worked well with my headphones.
Since these adaptors are inexpensive (at least compared to a Phonak HA!), I then bought a range of adaptors to try to find one that worked.
Next up was the Edimax Bluetooth 5.0 Nano USB adaptor. Similar issues to the ASUS, only without the spitting sounds.
Last try was the Avantree DG80 USB Audio Transmitter (external). This is a slightly different type of product to all the others, which are general purpose Bluetooth adaptors. The Avantree device shows up as a sound device when inserted. The main thing is - it works. The sound quality is good, there are no spits or breaks and I can reliably call with Teams or listen to streaming.
The Avantree does have one inconvenience. It does not respond to the normal Windows volume control! To change the volume, it’s necessary to start the Windows Sound Mixer applet, locate the program producing sounds (i.e. Chrome or MS Teams) and reduce the volume there. A minor but annoying characteristic!
Brief specs from the box: BT 5.0. Bluetooth profiles A2DP, AVRCP, HSP, HFP. Codecs aptX Low Latency, FastStream, aptX, SBC.
Price, around $25, as are all of the adapters I mentioned except the Sennheiser, which is expensive!
I have no idea why this is so hard - whether it’s the Bluetooth stack in the P90s, the firmware in the adaptors or Windows 10, but am happy I have a solution.
I hope this is of use to others. Feel free to ask questions.

2 Likes

Nice to know info! I also tried and rejected most of the dongles you mentioned, except the Avantree. I will give that a shot.
The one I settled on was the very inexpensive Techkey dongle. It still sometimes lost signal in the short trip to the kitchen, but reacquisition was fairly short. Dropouts are nearly non-existent, and volume is controlled in the normal manner.
Techkey 5.0 BT Dongle

1 Like

I found an excellent technical video about Bluetooth 5.2 with lots of mentions of its application for hearing aid wearers. Really for engineers so quite complex, but I found it very interesting. Enjoy!

I too am looking for the Zoom, Slack, Teams solution. I’m one of the brave souls that runs desktop Linux (Linux Mint) and I tried to pair the trial P-90 HAs I’m wearing to my inbuilt intel-based card (not recognized), a TP-Link Nano 5.0 USB dongle, also with no luck. I have a feeling that if I bang my head against the wall with different kernels or other cards (and perhaps Pulse audio settings), that I might be able to get this to work, but not sure how much effort its worth.

I had a Nulaxy BR04 Bluetooth Receiver Transmitter lying around, and the P-90s immediately paired to it. I then hung it off my Thinkpad’s headphone jack. The quality was acceptable. I have not tried this with Zoom yet, but I do have a desktop microphone.

My audiologist sent me home with a TV Connector to try. I’m not certain what she will charge me to keep it, but for my use case (business communications) is there a significant enough benefit to the TV Connector to purchase it for this type of usage or will it not be that different than the Nulaxy device? I understand that for pure TV I can expect better performance latency-wise (e.g. lip sync) with the Phonak product, but I’d love to hear from those of you using the TV connector for business communications.

For months I used a phone call to access my zoom and google meet sessions. About a month ago I got a roger on mic and a tv connector. Initially I left the tv connector on the tv and used the mic with my computer. It put the audio in my ears so well and used the MacBook mic for picking up my audio to send. Then I put the tv connector on the computer. That works so well. Worth it. Don’t have to charge the mic all the time. Stays wired up. Easy change down to the tv if wanted, as those cables are still there.

WH

3 Likes

Be aware, in my lifetime experience, to hearing aids (my current being 2021 Nadia P90-UP) to devices. That you can only have a maximum of 2 Bluetooth concurrent devices. And this as been the same for the last three sets of hearing aids

i.e. If my iPhone and iPad are connected via Bluetooth, my computer will not be allowed to connect unless I disconnect one of the other devices.

However, my Roger Mic iN even if connection directly via the TV Connect or directly USB connected it will connect, unless one other devices is/start streaming audio via Bluetooth. Especially if its my phone.

1 Like

Bees knees? Boy there’s an expression you don’t hear anymore

1 Like