Phonak P50-R battery life

I’m on my 2 day of wearing them, I know I do a lot of phone calls throughout the day. Yesterday I had a full charge at 7am and by 8pm they were beeping at 5%, is that normal?

All depends on your hearing loss as well.
The more loss you have, the more quickly they’ll drain.

I still got to get my audio gram, I’ll try and get it at my follow up appointment. I know it was mild to moderate high frequency loss. I also know audiologist has more work to do because some noises are really loud lol but I can hear leaves again haha.
Do some hearing aids last longer like the p-70 or 90’s or is it the same battery life?

@renegade681

Battery life on the P70 and P90 will likely be the same if they are also the R model.

I know using Speech in Loud Noise will drain the battery quickly especially if you are in it for a long time.

If you stream a lot, you’re better off going with a 312 or size 13 battery.

2 Likes

Ok thank you for the heads up guess that’s a couple more questions for my audiologist thank you again.

Don’t aids with rechargeable batteries need to be charged every night or almost every night. So if for some reason there’s heavy use wouldn’t the drainage the op is talking about be close to normal. I have no experience with rechargeable hearing aids

I had the same issue of only having about 12 hours of battery from my Phonak P-90Rs … but that was after about 11 months of use. I will admit to doing a lot of evening streaming from my TV Connector, so that might cause a significant drain. My only suggestion is that if you do a lot of streaming from either a phone or the TV, it would probably be helpful to return your aids to the Auto-Sense program when done. I have the bad habit of just pausing the streaming audio, which leaves the aids in what I believe is a program that drains the battery faster. I would suggest also that you check with your audi for a possible “repair” with Phonak … that’s what I did.

Ok thanks for the suggestions, I know I go back in 2 weeks for more adjustments I just wasn’t sure if it was normal to run out of battery so fast or if another aid might have better run time. Today they only lasted 11 hrs.

@renegade681: It’s been a longish day for me and my More1s with no streaming, hardly. I would think these data would be similar for the Tier1 HA of any maker, so I’m posting these screenshots: if anyone feels they’re inappropriate for a Phonak-titled topic, I’ll gladly take them down.

It’s my feeling that any of the major makers’ premium offerings should hold out for longer than 11 hours, streaming notwithstanding. Since my experience is based on only one brand, howver, I might be wrong.

I appreciate seeing your screen shot. I know I used them for maybe a total talk time of 2 hrs and I’m in noisy environments so I’m guessing that it might be normal and I’ll have to have a charger in my service truck.

No it’s not normal, you should get 24 hours on a single charge with unlimited streaming, if you believe the blurb from Phonak.

Now to real world use, this is about 16 hours which includes 8 hours of streaming. You can read the full review here.

I have the P70R CROS and that’s about what I get. I also do a lot of phone call streaming.

If you have one ear more impaired than the other, then have the audiologist set the ‘good’ side to be the streaming interface side. That balances power consumption. A bit. Also, if the audiologist minimizes the input from the HA microphones during streaming (I prefer this) then that might reduce processing load.

1 Like

@renegade681: I’m piping up because I don’t think you’re getting anywhere near the life you should be from your batteries. I know how difficult it is to believe that brand new HAs can be defective, but it happened to me, after only 5 months of wearing my More1s.

In my opinion, you should contact your HCP without delay, for your experience is surely off-spec, and Phonak will want to correct it for you ASAP.

[Addendum: That said, I confess that I’ve never worn Phonaks, so I don’t understand them. There may be several other issues of which I’m unaware, and I don’t want to offer bad advice, so I’ll be quiet.]

I stream while aids are on autosense. That way when I’m done streaming I switch right back to autosense automatically

@renegade681, when I first trialled Phonak paradise HAs the rechargeable battery drained quickly. There turned out to be two reasons:

1. Notifications from the phone were all on for all apps (the default for most apps). So this was a big battery drains as each “beep” turned on streaming. Turning these off made a big improvement.
  2. These aids can have two simultaneous Bluetooth connections which is great! However this is also an additional battery drain so I turn off Bluetooth on the device I am not using.

Usually have about 1 hour phone calls, 3 hrs streaming and 2 hrs TV connector and wear the aids from 8am to 11:30 pm and typically have 15-20% left. YMMV

Well that might be a problem then, I have 2 iPhones hooked up to them personal and business. Business phone has notifications turned on due to me being on call 24/7. I’ll try turning notifications off on my personal phone and see if that helps. Also today I’m trying not to use streaming and just use the speaker on my phone instead, I’ll also call the audiologist and tell him battery life is too short.