Phonak Marvel: TV connector disconnects after x seconds of quiet TV signal

Well another problem I have is getting my Paradise aids to pair to the Macbook. They make the initial connection but if I try to go to the “Input” section of Sound Preferences then the BT connection just breaks away. I do not have any issue connecting my aids to my phone - this weirdness only occurs with my macbook. It also occurs on my (desktop) iMac - so it’s not isolated to one device.

My preference is to get the TV connector working with it maintaining a persistent connection with no drop-offs.

The behavior is different for optical and analog. For optical, AirStream transmission will stop as soon the digital output is turned off (i.e. no bit stream is received). For analog, transmission will stop 45s after the signal has dropped below approx 1mV.

The TV connector has not been designed with computer use in mind, so the time-outs are not really optimized for video conferences etc. where there can be long periods of silence.

3 Likes

Thank you for your detailed post about the TV connector.

Is this time-out something Phonak might consider adjusting so it can be used with other devices besides a TV? Like a firmware update?
Thanks again for your help.

+1 with Raudrive

According to the following link, Phonak at least considers/supports the use-case of using a computer for Zoom calls: https://www.phonak.com/content/dam/phonak/gc_us/en/support/children-and-parents/Connecting-Multimedia-sources-to-a-TV-Connector.pdf

However, the same document notes that there is a timeout of 30 secs if no signal is received :frowning: . The problem I have is that if I am presenting to my team then it cuts out shortly after I start speaking…

3 Likes

I’m impressed by your ability to dig out information. :slight_smile: When TV connector was developed Zoom, MS Teams etc, was not high on everyone’s agenda. Things are different now of course, and we all do the best we can to adapt. I will forward the issue with the time-out to the relevant persons. Maybe a solution can be worked out.

8 Likes

Thank you for your help.

1 Like

I can confirm the issue is now resolved! After switching to an optical connection (from analog) using the device I linked above, I now no longer have any drop outs. It seems the device forces the streamer to maintain a persistent connection, even when there’s no audio on the line.

Huge thanks to @Gramps for the idea.

Just to recap, the device I am using is a Behringer UCA202 which connects to my Macbook Pro via USB. The TV Connector is then connected via the optical output on the Behringer. Works like a dream.

4 Likes

That’s great news as I’d love to use the tv connector for conference calls. After a few days, is the set up still working well with no dropouts?

For you to speak, though, you need to use the computer’s microphone or some other microphone, not the ones on the HA, correct? Would be great if the full functionality of the HA’s were available.

Yes you use the mics on the laptop or you can use an external USB mic like I do. If you want callers to hear the best possible audio then a quality external mic will always outperform the ones on the HAs. I often perform presentations/webinars so need to make sure audio is top-top. The mics on the HAs are good but in my opinion not a patch on a dedicated device. I use a Blue Snowball USB mic but there are plenty better out there if you’re willing to spend a few bucks more.

100% working with zero dropouts. It’s green light all the way :smiley:

1 Like

I find that optical toslink is the best way to go, no dropout but I had all sorts of connection issues with 3.5mm cable

2 Likes

Hi Sundance,
My first day using the behringer device for calls, and yipee, the dropouts when silent have gone! One question for you, when connecting the device to a laptop by usb, then to the tv connector by optical, does the volume control wheel on your device change the volume? Mine doesn’t seem to do anything, so not sure if it’s faulty, or it just doesn’t work with the way we are using it. Cheers, Bob

1 Like

Yes I have the same quirk as you. I have to control volume using the streamer only. On some apps like Spotify I can control the volume from within the app but for Zoom the volume on the streamer is what I use.

2 Likes

Very interesting thread. I have the same issue with the TV Connector plugged into the computer via analog audio cable. As a teacher, I speak using an external mic. When kids respond, I have the 3 second connection delay. If there is a fix, I would be all over it.
I don’t have the option to use optical connection in this configuration. Thanks.

Are you sure? Not even with those adapters people mentioned above?

As it was explained here, delay is inevitable if you’re on 3.5mm jack version. Optical is the only way to work around it. Check posts from rogerpm user.

1 Like

I am so confused. I have been looking forward to what I thought were the first pair of universal bluetooth hearing aids after three years with Starkey Halo and two with Oticon OPN, which I thought these were, but I got very confused when my audiologist wanted to give me a dongle. for what purpose? okay, so, I just politely took it.

yet now I’m here at my Mac, and there are no bluetooth hearing aids detected. now all I read about is people using dongles. so is this universal bluetooth or are we still locked into proprietary hardware and proprietary software exactly the same as before? I am so confused.

It is universal but mac people have issues, so my guess is that mac did something differently.

Another known issue is zoom on windows, but they have issue with any handsfree bt headset afaik.

Who knows on what devices had phonak tested those aids and how.

The Bluetooth dongles aren’t proprietary. It’s just that the computer’s bluetooth isn’t quite up to snuff, likely a driver issue. I got by with a cheap (about $10) Insignia dongle from BestBuy to use on my desktop.

1 Like

In this setup, what is the USB microphone connected to?