Phonak Marvel / Paradise + Roger Select to understand speech better in noisy environment

Thanks. I will discuss this option with my audi in next visit.

Wow, quite a lot. I strongly recommend Phonak Paradises. Please read this review:

Quote from that:

“(…) . Phone calls are clear, and everyone I spoke with said my voice sounded good on the other end. I was even able to take calls while riding my bike. Unfortunately, the sound got a little weird when I did that (some occasional popping sounds and echoey-ness), but it was good enough to carry on a conversation, and amazingly there was no wind noise to speak of, for me or the person on the other end.(…)”.

The review seems pretty good for Paradise.

I requested my Audi for Paradise trial. However since they are new, it will be available here in Dubai hopefully within a month.

I will definitely trial these to see if it really helps to resolve my current issues with regards to the phone calls (streaming).
Thanks

Are you currently using cShell with P receiver. Is it possible to know the size of the cShell.
For the Marvel trial, currently I am using custom slim tips with P receiver, they are exactly 1.5 CM in length.
I just wanted to know, if the size of cShell are comparatively larger than slim tips?

I highly doubt it. I trialled marvel and paradise, both behaved similar.

One more thing if you haven’t already - go to myphonak-app, top right menu, my aids, bt calls and change to adaptive bt if it isn’t already, or to fixed it is adaptive now and try then if it helps anything.

If I remember correctly, by default is fixed with marvels, I’ve switched to adaptive and other side reported better sound. I think adaptive is default on paradises. That could be the ‘reason’ why some experience ‘improvement’.
Anyhow, try and see.

I have never had SlimTips, but it seems no big difference in size between cShell and custom SlimTips, cShell is maybe slightly bigger.

You must know it isn’t easy to change receiver in cShells - you must send them to Phonak company to replace/change it. In SlimTips you can replace/change receiver in Audi.

Some infos here:

You’re maybe right, I forgot about fixed vs. adaptive Bluetooth issues. However it’s worth checking issue also with Paradises where the connectivity seems work better (“It simply works”).

Another solution - for stationary situation better option may be a TV Connector linked to the phone. It uses another streaming protocol (AirStream) which drain much less battery energy than Bluetooth.

Not my experience, marvels were much more stable and definitely predictable. Paradises were huge frustration coming from marvels and expecting they ‘just work’ as well.

However, other side of BT connection definitely could impact the stability and quality, not everything depends on aids.

Tv connector could work, but also, it depends. People with laptops reported connection breaking if they’re connected with audio jack and not tos link (optical). For zoom and similar calls when other side is quiet for more than 60 seconds I think, TV connector just disconnects. No clue if the same issue happens when you plug TV connector into the mobile phone.

However, all that I’ve already mentioned here as an option worth trying :slight_smile:

You’re right, maybe it depends on individual experience. I have Paradises only 1 week, so maybe I will have one of problems described by you.

TV Connector does not work with my laptop when the power plug is connected to the latter, I hear then only buzzing. Of course, disconnecting after 1 minute silence also exist, but it is no problem usually when talking. For phones, TV Connector will be convenient only for stationary situations. Thanks for your reply :wink:

I trialed the Marvls (m90r), albeit it a week. In my experience the Paradise (p70R) work better for streaming and particularly phone calls. People don’t even mention the sound quality with the Paradise whereas the Marvel’s there were numerous issues with people being able to hear and nearly everyone said it sounded like I was on speakerphone.

1 Like

Yeah, my parents talking with me by phone call and also report less discomfort from noise around me.

Thank you all for the advice & comments.

Currently for the Marvel (M50) trial I am using ‘P’ receiver with custom slim tips. Will there be a vast difference if I chose cShell with ‘UP’ receiver?
Good to see positive reviews for Paradise. Hoping to get a trial soon, so i can finalize my decision.

I don’t know about “vast” difference, but I suspect you need all the help you can get at 2000hz on up. However it would depend if you’re maxing out your current receivers capability and also what the limitation is (power of receiver or feedback) I’d talk to your audiologist

It depends. You haven’t written any infos about vent in SlimTips (eg. diameter or maybe you haven’t it). cShell is probably more sealed to ear auricle, so it’s more occlusive - - > possibly better ability to reach high gain in high frequencies without acoustic feedback.
In conclusion, given you have high loss in high frequencies it may be worth to try UP mics. Compared to BTE, RIC (such as Audeo) has invaluable feature to change mic in relative low cost. I think you must try it.

The ability of HA to achieve necessary gain (in prescription like NAL-NL2 or DSL 5.0) should be checked by REM (if you have this possibility).

However, your loss >3k frequency is very large so it may be better to use frequency transposition such as SoundRecover2. However, when I would be in your place I would try to UP mic first.

If the aforementioned will fail, the ultimate option is hybrid cochlear implant in which you can make use preserved hearing in low frequencies and implant give you benefits from highs.

In conclusion, the proposed order is:

1. get cShell (with AOV) and try UP mics, when it fails
  2. try to SoundRecover2 on that mics
  3. ultimateness: consider hybrid cochlear implant

I have 1.5mm vent in the slim tips. I requested the audi to make the smallest vent just to avoid the occluded/pressure feeling. But she suggested that 1.5mm will be suitable for my hearing loss.

I am able to hear the electronic beeps, switch/keypad clicking sounds, turn indicators (car) only when the frequency lowering/sound recover is turned “ON”. I have noticed this with Oticon & Marvel as well.
But when this is turned OFF, there is so much difference in sound quality.
I mean when the frequency lowering is “OFF”, the normal speech sounds so much natural & rich. Even the TV/ phone conversation sounds good. But once it is turned “ON”, it sounds bit tinny & metallic kind of.
Honestly I am still unable to decide if I should use this SR or no? The audi suggest, for my loss its a must hence she turned it ON.

The overall sound quality was much better, when it is “OFF”, but then I feel that I am missing those electronic sounds/beeps etc. Will I miss the speech understanding (for colleagues having UK accents) when it is “OFF”? I am totally confused here.

Overall I am mostly struggling in office environment as I work in an Open office. But at home, I can communicate with my parents, wife & son easily without using any hearing aids. Just that the conversation has to be in the same room. Even when I go to my friends place, I never wear the aids. Till now none of my childhood friends even know that I have hearing loss since 25+ years. I dont struggle to understand their speech as we speak in our native language. Same goes with having phone conversation with my family&friends, without the hearing aids I can easily communicate with them.

Regarding frequency lowering with SR2. There are a lot of settings besides on or off. My experience is that finding the right settings takes a lot of tweaking over time and few hearing aid fitters want to take the time. Ideally it should be set so you can hear the “s” sound and tell it apart from the “sh” sound. I would encourage wearing the hearing aids all the time you are listening to speech, whether in your native language or not. If you keep switching, I think getting used to how the hearing aids sound, especially with frequency lowering will be a constant struggle.

2 Likes

@MDB is right - it is time-consuming to make proper adjustment in SR2.

Probably your audi sought balance between providing proper gain of high frequency tones and give you possibility to hear lows more naturally. Consider cShells with AOV (Acoustically Optimized Vent) it should give you maximal gains with quite minimal risk of occlusion.

Consider also hybrid cochlear implant. Read the forums about experiences with it. The idea is described here:

Thank you all!
My trial period for Marvel is over. I am back to my old aids (OPN1 ric)
Hoping to get the trial for Paradise soon…will then have to try few settings to get the best speech.
CI are beyond my budget. My insurance do not cover the CI or the HAs :frowning:
I know I will never get 100% with any aids. But am willing to try different HAs which will give me the best clarity for speech so I can continue with my job.

Make notes for all differences you felt, were improved and so on. That way when you get paradises you’ll know what to focus on and what is better where.

1 Like

Good luck! Keep us informed after trials!

1 Like